Check your account email address ×

Watch Ocasio-Cortez Ask Pharma CEO Why HIV Drug Costs $8 Overseas But $1,780 in the US

Watch Ocasio-Cortez Ask Pharma CEO Why HIV Drug Costs $8 Overseas But $1,780 in the US

'Spoiler: Because Australia Has Universal Healthcare': Watch Ocasio-Cortez Ask Pharma CEO Why HIV Drug Costs $8 Overseas But $1,780 in the US 

"We the public, we the people, developed this drug, we paid for this drug. There's no reason this should be $2,000 a month. People are dying because of it." 

During a House hearing on Thursday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez asked the CEO of one of America's largest pharmaceutical companies a simple but crucial question: Why does a life-saving HIV drug that costs $8 a month in Australia have a $2,000 price tag in the U.S.? 

Gilead chief executive Daniel O'Day declined to comment on the low price of Truvada for PrEP in Australia, but said the reason the cost is close to $2,000—"the current list price is $1,780," he said—in the United States is because the drug has "patent protection." 

As the Washington Post reported in March, the development of Truvada as a treatment for HIV was "almost fully funded by U.S. taxpayers." 

The U.S. government patented the treatment in 2015, according to the Post, but has "opted not to file an infringement suit to enforce" the patent even as Gilead—which argues the government patent is invalid—rakes in billions of dollars in profits from Truvada. 

continues .. . . . 

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/05/16/spoiler-because-australia-has-universal-healthcare-watch-ocasio-cortez-ask-pharma

It's a good system. US. Seniors have to come to Canada to buy their drugs so they don't starve paying US prices. 

But we have public health care.  You know the system some of your Senators are paid to lie about yet strangely enough when you look for a list of countries that had to abandon the Public system, you can't find one. 

It's also weird that US costs are higher per capita.  

Isn't the myth that the private system is more efficient?  Oh well.  Just our good friends from the South being a great example for Canada. 

Sometimes you can learn more from a bad example than a good one. 

24 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

Obama  care doesn’t subsidize low income people? 

Minsure does. 

I think the subsidy goes towards medicaid? Obamacare policies have to be purchased by the individual. Its an insurance plan from a private insurance company. :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

We are all going to be dead in twelve years according to AOC anyways.

So why do pharm companies need all that profit then? 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

It’s all about the CEO’s pay and corporate profits for the share holders. They don’t give a fuck about the people taking their drug. Why do they even pretend? 

Do we still wonder why health care is so expensive? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

It's a good system. US. Seniors have to come to Canada to buy their drugs so they don't starve paying US prices. 

But we have public health care.  You know the system some of your Senators are paid to lie about yet strangely enough when you look for a list of countries that had to abandon the Public system, you can't find one. 

It's also weird that US costs are higher per capita.  

Isn't the myth that the private system is more efficient?  Oh well.  Just our good friends from the South being a great example for Canada. 

Sometimes you can learn more from a bad example than a good one. 

canada's health care system is terrible

5 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

We are all going to be dead in twelve years according to AOC anyways.

You're so fucking stupid.

3 hours ago, snopro31 said:

canada's health care system is terrible

It's really great unless you're a dumbass. You have to be an advocate for proper care. 

My whole has been very lucky for the most part. When we needed the system it was amazing and we didn't have to sell everything for coverage or wait for an HMO to approve our treatment. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Doesnt take much pride in his work sounds like

That's why he thinks it's so terrible...apparently he is under the impression that his shitty attitude and incompetency is representative of the entire system.

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, Anler said:

I think the subsidy goes towards medicaid? Obamacare policies have to be purchased by the individual. Its an insurance plan from a private insurance company. :thumbsup:

No. its a tax credit. You pay the premium and then get back a certain amount in a tax refund check. Unless all the income you earned wasn't taxed. Just fucking around I punched in a 40 yr old and a 41 yr old couple earning $39,000 a yr. The tax credit was about $534 a month.

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

You're so fucking stupid.

It's really great unless you're a dumbass. You have to be an advocate for proper care. 

My whole has been very lucky for the most part. When we needed the system it was amazing and we didn't have to sell everything for coverage or wait for an HMO to approve our treatment. 

It’s a system that needs revamping immediately. Long wait lists for surgical procedures, hard to get family doctors, medical in rural is crumbling, abuse of the ER’s,  massive and I mean massive country wide drug abuse. List goes on and on. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Aren’t you a part of it? A murse?

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Arent you a murse?

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Doesnt take much pride in his work sounds like

I can be apart of it and take pride in my work and still say the system is old and outdated and needs updating considerably. I sit on provincial boards and committees that are working on updating some aspects. Heading to a national conference in 2 weeks for the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That's why he thinks it's so terrible...apparently he is under the impression that his shitty attitude and incompetency is representative of the entire system.

So advocating for improvements and positive change is bad attitude.....and that’s why you’re mentally unstable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snopro31 said:

It’s a system that needs revamping immediately. Long wait lists for surgical procedures, hard to get family doctors, medical in rural is crumbling, abuse of the ER’s,  massive and I mean massive country wide drug abuse. List goes on and on. 

I can be apart of it and take pride in my work and still say the system is old and outdated and needs updating considerably. I sit on provincial boards and committees that are working on updating some aspects. Heading to a national conference in 2 weeks for the same thing. 

Yeah well our system is awesome if you can afford it. Otherwise it's non-existent.