Check your account email address ×

Here's what happens if the courts kill Obamacare

Here's what happens if the courts kill Obamacare

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/politics/obamacare-lawsuit-doj-impacts/index.html 
Updated 6:34 PM ET, Tue March 26, 2019 

(CNN)President Donald Trump has repeatedly promised to make health care better for all Americans, especially those with pre-existing conditions. 

But while his administration has yet to unveil a plan, his Justice Department is now threatening to strip away coverage and benefits that many people have come to take for granted in the nine years since the landmark Affordable Care Act was signed into law. 

The administration said Monday that the entire law should be struck down, a dramatic reversal of its earlier stance. In a filing with a federal appeals court, the Justice Department said it agreed with the ruling of a federal judge in Texas that invalidated Obamacare. Previously, the agency under former Attorney General Jeff Sessions had argued only that two key protections for those with pre-existing conditions could not be defended. 

If the Trump administration prevails, the health care of nearly every American could be affected, though most don't realize it. While most people associate Obamacare with the individual health insurance exchanges and Medicaid expansion, it has far wider impact. 

Obamacare has meant lower premiums, deductibles and out-of-pocket costs for the roughly 60 million senior citizens and disabled Americans enrolled in Medicare. And it helped close the gap in Medicare's drug coverage. 

It slowed the growth of Medicare payment rates to hospitals and other providers, reduced payments to Medicare Advantage plans and improved benefits for enrollees. The Obama administration estimated in 2016 that the typical Medicare beneficiary pays about $700 less in premiums and cost sharing thanks to the Affordable Care Act. 

Another popular provision: Children are allowed to remain on their parents' plans until they turn 26. Also, companies with at least 50 employees must provide affordable insurance to their staffers who work more than 30 hours a week. The law also prohibits employers from imposing annual or lifetime limits on benefits and caps out-of-pocket spending so those with expensive conditions don't exhaust their coverage. 
Americans are also able to get a wide range of preventive care -- including annual check-ups, mammograms, cholesterol tests and flu shots -- and birth control at no cost. And it's helped combat the nation's opiod addiction by broadening Medicaid coverage to more adults. 
Even the Trump administration is using the law to try to lower prescription drug prices. 

And, of course, there are the millions of people who've gained coverage. More than 11 million people have signed up for 2019 policies on the Obamacare exchanges, and more than 12 million are insured through Medicaid expansion. The number of uninsured plummeted to 29 million last year, from 48 million in 2010. 

If the law is struck down, roughly 20 million more people would be left uninsured, an increase of 65%, according to an Urban Institute report published Tuesday. And hospitals would see uncompensated care jump by $50 billion, or 82%. 

But even more influential than the benefits Obamacare provides is how it has changed what people have come to expect in health insurance. 
Prior to the law, insurers could deny people policies or charge them more based on their medical histories -- so those with acne as a teen could have trouble securing coverage on the individual market years later, for instance. Some 52 million non-elderly adults -- more than one in four -- have a condition that could have rendered them uninsurable before Obamacare took effect, according to estimates from the Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit health care research group. 
The Affordable Care Act stopped those practices, requiring insurers to cover all applicants and provide comprehensive benefits...........

i am convinced trump is out to ruin this country. i saw china signed a huge deal with airbus the other day. a deal that could have been ours. yes i realize airbus wins contrtacts too, and that we have a little 737 problem, but it could have been ours. he is destroying our friendships, fanning flames in the ME, further dividing the nation, creating alot of economic problems disguised as sanctions, putting inexperienced bozos in important positions, not only ignoring global warming, but making the situation worse, destroying our environment, creating a wonderful role model for kids, allowing russia to grow, emboldening dictators, not stopping vote meddling, bankrupting us for military growth, spending unapproved money at his will on his political wall, putting stooges in place to make him above the law, creating distrust in our media, creating distrust in our intel.................

the day will come when the damage done by this POS will be obvious, and i expect those of you who sat by with your head up your asses, mumbling shit about hillary's e-mails, to tell your grandkids you helped enable it all. but you won't do that. you'll blane the dems, as you always do.

there fordy, those are just some of the reasons we despise trump.

@ford_428cj

Edited by Snoslinger

I know several people who could not get health insurance before ACA because of pre existing conditions. That was the one good thing about it is it let those people buy policies at a reasonable price. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

I know several people who could not get health insurance before ACA because of pre existing conditions. That was the one good thing about it is it let those people buy policies at a reasonable price. 

I'm one, I couldn't get anything affordable, the plans I could get had a super high deductible and would not cover my preexisting condition.

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

I'm one, I couldn't get anything affordable, the plans I could get had a super high deductible and would not cover my preexisting condition.

Yep. I had an employee who couldn't get coverage. He had to go to the county hospital when he got a staph infection. Tax payers pick that up...

35 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

i am convinced trump is out to ruin this country. i saw china signed a huge deal with airbus the other day. a deal that could have been ours. yes i realize airbus wins contrtacts too, and that we have a little 737 problem, but it could have been ours. he is destroying our friendships, fanning flames in the ME, further dividing the nation, creating alot of economic problems disguised as sanctions, putting inexperienced bozos in important positions, not only ignoring global warming, but making the situation worse, destroying our environment, creating a wonderful role model for kids, allowing russia to grow, emboldening dictators, not stopping vote meddling, bankrupting us for military growth, spending unapproved money at his will on his political wall, putting stooges in place to make him above the law, creating distrust in our media, creating distrust in our intel.................

the day will come when the damage done by this POS will be obvious, and i expect those of you who sat by with your head up your asses, mumbling shit about hillary's e-mails, to tell your grandkids you helped enable it all. but you won't do that. you'll blane the dems, as you always do.

@ford_428cj

TDS in full display with no facts to back anything up.

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yep. I had an employee who couldn't get coverage. He had to go to the county hospital when he got a staph infection. Tax payers pick that up...

Just like uninsured motorists cost everyone else.  I bought some PPL and bank stock  and did the reinvestment program as way to have money incase something happened. Thankfully it didn't.

15 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Just like uninsured motorists cost everyone else.  I bought some PPL and bank stock  and did the reinvestment program as way to have money incase something happened. Thankfully it didn't.

Most people are very ignorant when it comes to insurance and they get their "expertise" from political commentators. Which only throws gas on the fire and doesn't address the real issues. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

@ford_428cj

China has their own commercial airplane coming online.   Only reason they have a deal with anyone is to cover the time needed to produce their own and steal technology.  

Edited by Highmark

It need not matter if a law is thought to be good or not.   If its unconstitutional then it needs to be changed to become so.   Whether it be about data mining or healthcare you don't keep a law in effect that the courts find unconstitutional.   

It would not be hard to prove that removing some 4th amendment protections could lower crime.   Doesn't mean it should be done.  

17 minutes ago, racer254 said:

TDS in full display with no facts to back anything up.

really?

trump has damaged friendships: look at germany, france, britain and many more. fact

trump is fanning flames in the ME. declaring jerusalem the capital, moving the embassy, supporting israeli expansion, poking iran. fact

dividing the nation. supporting and defending racists. commenting time after time after time about racial situations. racists love trump. fact

creating alot of economic problems disguised as sanctions. farmers hurting, auto plants hurting, steel users hurting. fact

putting inexperienced bozos in important positions. devos, ben carson, nielsen, kushner, pruitt to name a few. fact

not only ignoring global warming, but making the situation worse. paris treaty, wanting to bring back coal, easing regulations. fact

creating a wonderful role model for kids. really? :lol: fact

i could go on but i think you have been owned enough, ya dumb fuck.

25 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

really?

trump has damaged friendships: look at germany, france, britain and many more. fact

trump is fanning flames in the ME. declaring jerusalem the capital, moving the embassy, supporting israeli expansion, poking iran. fact

dividing the nation. supporting and defending racists. commenting time after time after time about racial situations. racists love trump. fact

creating alot of economic problems disguised as sanctions. farmers hurting, auto plants hurting, steel users hurting. fact

putting inexperienced bozos in important positions. devos, ben carson, nielsen, kushner, pruitt to name a few. fact

not only ignoring global warming, but making the situation worse. paris treaty, wanting to bring back coal, easing regulations. fact

creating a wonderful role model for kids. really? :lol: fact

i could go on but i think you have been owned enough, ya dumb fuck.

Maybe those countries damaged the friendships by taking advantage of the USA for so long....

And dont you mean climate change?

Oh and speaking of role models...the dnc should be ashamed of themselves for pushing a fake collusion narrative for 2 yrs and causing even more divide then Obama did.

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I agree and was willing to pay more for myself and my workers to have that.   There were many other parts that I thought were shit and unconstitutional.  

9 hours ago, 1jkw said:

Homosexuality is not covered?? 

AFFORDABLE CARE!!!!

Those lying bastards!!!

My MEDICARE payments are in the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, SINCE OBAMACARE!!!

They simply made the workers pick up the tab for the scum bags.

9 hours ago, Highmark said:

It need not matter if a law is thought to be good or not.   If its unconstitutional then it needs to be changed to become so.   Whether it be about data mining or healthcare you don't keep a law in effect that the courts find unconstitutional.   

It would not be hard to prove that removing some 4th amendment protections could lower crime.   Doesn't mean it should be done.  

It’s unconstitutional because ....oh nevermind your clueless.

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It’s unconstitutional because ....oh nevermind your clueless.

Because a judge ruled it was.  In the end it need not matter what you or I think.  

Edited by Highmark