Check your account email address ×

Guess which federal government is running a surplus.

26 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

You realize this is an election year don't you? Pay attention to where it reads, Morneau sidestepped the question. :news:

Finance Minister Bill Morneau was asked Friday by reporters whether the improvement shown in the fiscal monitor would translate into smaller deficits.

Morneau, who will introduce updated fiscal projections in his March 19 federal budget, sidestepped the question and said the economy is doing well. He insisted the stronger bottom line is a result of government investments.

Canadians should expect to hear a lot more about the state of the federal books in the leadup to the October election.

The Liberals have faced criticism from the opposition Conservatives and some economists for failing to provide a timeline to balance the budget. There are warnings the government could face big fiscal challenges when the next economic downturn arrives.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, irv said:

You realize this is an election year don't you? Pay attention to where it reads, Morneau sidestepped the question. :news:

Finance Minister Bill Morneau was asked Friday by reporters whether the improvement shown in the fiscal monitor would translate into smaller deficits.

Morneau, who will introduce updated fiscal projections in his March 19 federal budget, sidestepped the question and said the economy is doing well. He insisted the stronger bottom line is a result of government investments.

Canadians should expect to hear a lot more about the state of the federal books in the leadup to the October election.

The Liberals have faced criticism from the opposition Conservatives and some economists for failing to provide a timeline to balance the budget. There are warnings the government could face big fiscal challenges when the next economic downturn arrives.

When was the last time a Conservative had to sidestep a question about the surplus they ran?

17 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

When was the last time a Conservative had to sidestep a question about the surplus they ran?

I thought we were talking about which current Gov't has a surplus? Of course they are all crooked but if you are going to try a good news story, at least read the article you posted. 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Is pot sales making canadastan great again?

Not one bit but I assume the "Great news" about all the money they've made off of it will be out shortly as well.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/black-market-pot-sales-booming-in-wake-of-legalization-cops

11 minutes ago, irv said:

I thought we were talking about which current Gov't has a surplus? Of course they are all crooked but if you are going to try a good news story, at least read the article you posted. 

So did you miss the part where it was an 8.9 billion deficit over last year?  They climb out of a 9.2 billion hole and you find fault.  

I guess it’s true, Trumpsters do like debt now that Trump is running them. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, irv said:

Not one bit but I assume the "Great news" about all the money they've made off of it will be out shortly as well.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/black-market-pot-sales-booming-in-wake-of-legalization-cops

That is happening because pols are so greedy they want to make as much money off it as the people who actually do the work. If they put a reasonable tax on it ( 3-7% ) the cottage industry side would go away.

18 minutes ago, Anler said:

Is pot sales making canadastan great again?

I didn’t vote for Trudeau or Wynne.  

But I think I might have fucked up. 

Wynne raising UI by a huge amount seems too much too fast and Trudeau raising taxes on those making more than 200 grand while dropping them on people making less seemed like a mistake.  

But they both worked.  Ontario has really low unemployment and the feds are 9.2 billion better off.  

12 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

So did you miss the part where it was an 8.9 billion deficit over last year?  They climb out of a 9.2 billion hole and you find fault.  

I guess it’s true, Trumpsters do like debt now that Trump is running them. 

"The government is trying to get us to focus on the best possible numbers. You need to look at fuller picture."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-market-debt-1.4590441 

Edited by irv

3 hours ago, irv said:

"The government is trying to get us to focus on the best possible numbers. You need to look at fuller picture."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-market-debt-1.4590441 

That was from Mar 26,2018 and referred to the debt.    The item I posted was from fiscal April 2018 to Dec 31st. And referred to the deficit. 

You have to reduce the deficit in order to reduce the debt. 

2 hours ago, snopro31 said:

Of course the sheep don’t see the full picture. 

See above, big picture boy. 

I’m sure they are making themselves look better than they are because of the election and recent pressure.  But if it’s half as good they are going the right way.  

Unlike Trump. 

We’ll see with Ford. 

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Isn’t it 60% of the budget?

Nope....  60 percent is like the percentage of the budget that goes to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.

US budget is like 4.4 trillion and the Military budget is just a shade under 700 billion including war spending