Check your account email address ×

Arizona newspaper endorses Dem for president for first time in 126 Years!

126 years of endorsing Republican candidates and now this very conservative newspaper endorses a Democrat, and they list some very compelling talking points in doing so. 

Arizona newspaper endorses Dem for president for first time

The Arizona Republic, the largest newspaper in the state, endorsed Hillary Clinton on Tuesday, the first time the 126-year-old publication has supported a Democrat for president.

"Since The Arizona Republic began publication in 1890, we have never endorsed a Democrat over a Republican for president. Never. This reflects a deep philosophical appreciation for conservative ideals and Republican principles," the paper's editorial board wrote.

"This year is different. The 2016 Republican candidate is not conservative and he is not qualified. That's why, for the first time in our history, The Arizona Republic will support a Democrat for president," it continued.

Donald Trump, the editorial board wrote, does not understand the challenges the country faces, nor does he have the temperament to deal with them.

The paper acknowledged that Clinton has weaknesses but argued that her experience, pragmatism and disposition makes her well suited to occupy the Oval Office.

"Clinton retains her composure under pressure," reads the editorial. "She's tough. She doesn't back down."

"She is intimately familiar with the challenges we face in our relations with Russia, China, the Middle East, North Korea and elsewhere. She'll stand by our friends and she's not afraid to confront our enemies."

The paper also took a shot at GOP leaders who have backed Trump in the hopes that he will use the White House to advance conservative causes.

"[T]hey shudder at the thought of Hillary Clinton naming Supreme Court justices," the board wrote. "So they stick with Trump. We get that. But we ask them to see Trump for what he is - and what he is not."

"Trump's conversion to conservatism is recent and unconvincing. There is no guarantee he will name solid conservatives to the Supreme Court."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/arizona-newspaper-endorses-dem-for-president-for-first-time/ar-BBwInKy

Where's the compelling talking points you referred to?  Still, I'll cede the point that Trump is anything but conventional and no one should be shocked when this stuff happens.  We will know soon enough.....

I gather President GHWB has already pledged his vote for Hillary.

When was the last time a Republican former president voted for a Democrat?

I'd say this election cycle is "unusual".

Just now, sear said:

I gather President GHWB has already pledged his vote for Hillary.

When was the last time a Republican former president voted for a Democrat?

I'd say this election cycle is "unusual".

Yes, the oligarchs are revealing themselves.