Check your account email address ×

Doo 850 really detuned?

Rod

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Jesus thats like those 174 holes we would come across by mistake...fak me.

Hahaha.  Yep.  A 165 just barely cuts it on days like this.  The rider above is the wife of a very good friend.  She barely breaks 100lbs and she can ride as good as any of the guys.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha.  Yep.  A 165 just barely cuts it on days like this.  The rider above is the wife of a very good friend.  She barely breaks 100lbs and she can ride as good as any of the guys.  

That’s cool. Matching suit and all. 👍

My belt gets pretty hot when maintaining a 80 mph+ speed. I dont think it's a clutch calibration thing. I get a lot of belt wear on the primary faces and to me that is alignment.

hell if it saves one belt it almost pays for it's self. These 850's like to destroy things when a belt goes boom. 

do you know what the spring rate is on this kit?  It's 3/4 inch preload but what does this convert into in lb's

1 minute ago, Roosting said:

My belt gets pretty hot when maintaining a 80 mph+ speed. I dont think it's a clutch calibration thing. I get a lot of belt wear on the primary faces and to me that is alignment.

hell if it saves one belt it almost pays for it's self. These 850's like to destroy things when a belt goes boom. 

do you know what the spring rate is on this kit?  It's 3/4 inch preload but what does this convert into in lb's

Etec? It worthless to start messing with components if you have an alignment issue 

9 minutes ago, Roosting said:

I don't know what 3/4" translates in spring rate.  You might give the guys at Grip and Rip a call and see if they can answer that question.  

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Yes....dont start fucking with springs and preload etc etc until you make sure its aligned properly 

He is talking about the spring rate on the clutch alignment tool. You Ding dong.  

1 minute ago, Roosting said:

yes. That's what I was kinda thinking. Calibration is very close. Fine tuning only but no point if it just eat's belts.

You're in Winnipeg right.  Surely someone around there has one of the Grip n Rip alignment tools for a G4.  Even if you paid them $100 to borrow it for a day it would be well worth it.  Maybe your dealer has one.  

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I don't know what 3/4" translates in spring rate.  You might give the guys at Grip and Rip a call and see if they can answer that question.  

He is talking about the spring rate on the clutch alignment tool. You Ding dong.  

Dude....the 850s have shit engine alignment and the ones eating belts and leaving black marks on clutches may be poorly aligned. This has been discussed here. 

Just now, Roosting said:

not sure if they would offer up that info or not. 

If you had one you could press it on a scale to find out

I don't have one.  The spring is built into the tool.  The tool would have to be disassembled to measure the spring rate.  Maybe a fish scale could work.  you would have to pull the ends of the tool apart to get the spring rate, not compress it on a bathroom scale.  

Dude....the 850s have shit engine alignment and the ones eating belts and leaving black marks on clutches may be poorly aligned. This has been discussed here. 

Dude.  We know this.  That is what 1/2 of this thread is about.  Why were you trying to interject clutch calibration BS in this alignment discussion.  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Dude.  We know this.  That is what 1/2 of this thread is about.  Why were you trying to interject clutch calibration BS in this alignment discussion.  

Haha....I just glanced over his post and saw spring preload and assumed he was fucking with the secondary

I'm not familiar with the tool he is trying to use

Haha....I just glanced over his post and saw spring preload and assumed he was fucking with the secondary

I'm not familiar with the tool he is trying to use

It's a neat little tool that the GnR guys came up with that preloads the primary and secondary to simulate the alignment under hard acceleration.  You set secondary deflection and motor mount alignment with it.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

It's a neat little tool that the GnR guys came up with that preloads the primary and secondary to simulate the alignment under hard acceleration.  You set secondary deflection and motor mount alignment with it.  

I'm not a fan of misaligning clutches. I'd prefer to get very close to neutral and then use solid mounts and snubbers or torque stops etc. As soon as I can order one of the stm alignment tools I will. 

They are legit...

I'm not a fan of misaligning clutches. I'd prefer to get very close to neutral and then use solid mounts and snubbers or torque stops etc. As soon as I can order one of the stm alignment tools I will. 

They are legit...

This tool has made a huge difference for the mountain guys.  Many Doo riders were getting less than 40 miles on belts in the mashed potato snow.  Once aligned with this tool the belts are still going strong after hundreds of miles.  

5 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Just looked at the STM tool.

Same concept but they dont preload the clutches.

Preloading is the only way to ensure under load alignment using the stock engine mounts. If you want to put solid mounts in then preloading is not needed.

On my big triple I used a secondary brace and additional torque stop and aligned as close to neutral as I could with the tools I had.

On the turbo I installed the STM engine plate and as soon as I get my hands on a proper tool I'll shim the motor close to neutral.

1 hour ago, Roosting said:

not sure if they would offer up that info or not. 

If you had one you could press it on a scale to find out

i dont tbink you understand what the grip and rip tool is and how it works . the tool pulls the clutches together like the motor is under load . a scale and a spring would not help you