Check your account email address ×

Jamal Khashoggi's killing took seven minutes, Turkish source tells MEE

• Platinum Contributing Member

Meh.    Longtime member of the Muslim brotherhood.    Not exactly a smart way of making this happen but if the Saudi's let the Turks spy on them in their own consulate then they got what's coming to them.   Kind of ironic Turkey complaining about this.  

Again not trying to justify this but he wasn't just a journalist.   Even the NYT's seen his ways of playing both sides.   

For Khashoggi, a Tangled Mix of Royal Service and Islamist Sympathies

• Oct. 14, 2018

BEIRUT, Lebanon — Jamal Khashoggi landed in Washington last fall, leaving behind a long list of bad news back home.

After a successful career as an adviser to and unofficial spokesman for the royal family of Saudi Arabia, he had been barred from writing in the kingdom, even on Twitter, by the new crown prince. His column in a Saudi-owned Arab newspaper was canceled. His marriage was collapsing. His relatives had been forbidden to travel to pressure him to stop criticizing the kingdom’s rulers.

Then, after he arrived in the United States, a wave of arrests put a number of his Saudi friends behind bars, and he made his difficult decision: It was too dangerous to return home anytime soon — and maybe forever.

So in the United States, he reinvented himself as a critic, contributing columns to The Washington Post and believing he had found safety in the West.

Mr. Khashoggi’s first claim to fame was his acquaintance with Osama bin Laden. Mr. Khashoggi had spent time in Jidda, Bin Laden’s hometown, and, like Bin Laden, he came from a prominent nonroyal family. Mr. Khashoggi’s grandfather was a doctor who had treated Saudi Arabia’s first king. His uncle was Adnan Khashoggi, a famous arms dealer, although Jamal Khashoggi did not benefit from his uncle’s wealth.

Mr. Khashoggi studied at Indiana State University and returned to Saudi Arabia to report for an English-language newspaper. Several of his friends say that early on Mr. Khashoggi also joined the Muslim Brotherhood.

Although he later stopped attending meetings of the Brotherhood, he remained conversant in its conservative, Islamist and often anti-Western rhetoric, which he could deploy or hide depending on whom he was seeking to befriend.

His newspaper colleagues recalled him as friendly, thoughtful and devout. He often led communal prayers in the newsroom, recalled Shahid Raza Burney, an Indian editor who worked with him.

Years later, after American commandos killed Bin Laden in Pakistan in 2011, Mr. Khashoggi mourned his old acquaintance and what he had become.

“I collapsed crying a while ago, heartbroken for you Abu Abdullah,” Mr. Khashoggi wrote on Twitter, using Bin Laden’s nickname. “You were beautiful and brave in those beautiful days in Afghanistan, before you surrendered to hatred and passion.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/14/world/middleeast/jamal-khashoggi-saudi-arabia.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism

8 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Actions have consequences.  If this is true, even marginally.  They want that message out there, so...I say, well done! Another fucking reporter than thinks they are above it all and can set policy for the world.  A WAPO writer nonetheless.  I hope they started with his fucking feet and worked their way up.  Seven minutes?  Thats some kinda Paul Bunyan speed!  :lmao:

Are you retarded? 

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yep.  A show of some real justice being delivered....all around.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Rogue killers. Trump equates it to Kavanough...

Whats hiding in his tax returns......Saudi money and Russian money.

How about the Hundred thousand pages missing from the  Kavanough hearings?

Thanks.  You are good at making points.....just not the ones you think you are.

:lmao:

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

There was one that beat his own daughter to death when he found out she took off the hijab at school and put on makeup. I learned a lot about their culture growing up with the largest Arab population outside the Middle East. So yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. 

Ever watch our local news? 

1 minute ago, Nazipigdog said:

Ever watch our local news? 

I don’t watch TV much. Sports and a couple shows here and there. I read the daily herald and Arlington cardinal on the net for local info. Also read cnbc, fox, cbs, and cnn on the net - mostly for laughs. Every once in while you find a factual non biased story. :lol: 

34 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I don’t watch TV much. Sports and a couple shows here and there. I read the daily herald and Arlington cardinal on the net for local info. Also read cnbc, fox, cbs, and cnn on the net - mostly for laughs. Every once in while you find a factual non biased story. :lol: 

Doesn't it sound remotely suspicious to anyone that they now claim to know how he was killed and exactly how long it took?   I'm not making any conspiracy guess here but that seems strange to know what went on inside a foreign govt's consulate.   Its not like Turkey and SA are best buds to begin with.  They even claim to have audio and video?   Come on.  

13 minutes ago, F3600 said:

Wonder how Assainge would be handled if he were to step foot outside the embassy.

Assange and Snowden would be more in danger or rogue agents than our govt.   Too much spotlight not to handle them thru legal means.   Spooks could care less.  

48 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Doesn't it sound remotely suspicious to anyone that they now claim to know how he was killed and exactly how long it took?   I'm not making any conspiracy guess here but that seems strange to know what went on inside a foreign govt's consulate.   Its not like Turkey and SA are best buds to begin with.  They even claim to have audio and video?   Come on.  

It’s more strange how trump people follow his lead like a pied piper stragglers. 

18 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s more strange how trump people follow his lead like a pied piper stragglers. 

Follow what lead?   You don't think the Turks having that information isn't slightly weird?

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Im guessing every inch of that place has video surveillance. Also there are witnesses who heard screams supposedly. Its in the link

24 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Im guessing every inch of that place has video surveillance. Also there are witnesses who heard screams supposedly. Its in the link

Yes but how do the Turk's have that?   Its Saudi property.   Man inside?   Hacked into it?  

Its like saying the Russian's could see what's going on inside our embassy in Moscow.   Not that it would be unheard of but still sounds suspicious.  

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yes but how do the Turk's have that?   Its Saudi property.   Man inside?   Hacked into it?  

Its like saying the Russian's could see what's going on inside our embassy in Moscow.   Not that it would be unheard of but still sounds suspicious.  

What doesn’t sound suspicious or far fetched is that saudis did just what they’re accused of. What also doesn’t sound suspicious in that don jr was firsf to start a smear campaign against a dead guy. It’s how the trump’s operate. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

What doesn’t sound suspicious or far fetched is that saudis did just what they’re accused of. What also doesn’t sound suspicious in that don jr was firsf to start a smear campaign against a dead guy. It’s how the trump’s operate. 

Oh I don't doubt the Saudi's had him taken out.   The whole story of knowing what happened and possible video/audio sounds a bit strange.   

8 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Bunch of American false outrage.  We do the same thing to people but just bury it better 

We kill thousands of people every year and not a peep of outrage... 

16 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Stop your fucking whining, Vince.  Try acting like a man for a while.  You sound like a little fucking bitch.  Or is that normal librul sounds?  Yeah.

0FF11572-7EA8-4790-99AA-43E9F0FF4728.jpeg

So you're afraid of the truth too, sounds like you have serious insecurity issues.

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Oh I don't doubt the Saudi's had him taken out.   The whole story of knowing what happened and possible video/audio sounds a bit strange.   

What's strange about the Turks having the Saudi consuls office wired? What's strange is the Saudi's not knowing they were being listened too, although it does appear that the Saudi consul had an inkling that his office was wired.

“Do this outside. You will put me in trouble,” Mr. al-Otaibi, the consul, told them, according to the Turkish official and the report in Yeni Safak, both citing audio recordings said to have been obtained by Turkish intelligence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/audio-contains-gruesome-details-of-khashoggi-killing-turkish-official-says/ar-BBOvRon