Check your account email address ×

New beater truck

01mxz800

13 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

if you want your 6.0 to live the first thing to do is get rid of the egr cooler. the cooler leaks then it burns the coolant then it lifts the heads. and no tuners

Been there done that...arp studs...fire rings...coolant filter...everything basically....just to much preventive maintanance....i sent it down the road 9 yrs ago.

20180403_092852.jpg

5 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

the only 6.0 i have left is in a f550 the hp is cut back to 250. in a pickup its 325. i have 2 6.7  1 has had 2 fuel pumps the other has had emissions issues just like all of them

My 18 6.7 is good so far...roughly 20k miles. My 14 6.7 was problem free as well.

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Ive got about 50k on my 2015 6.7 . No problems at all. For that kinda money it should run 100 k problem free.

I agree.  My opinions of the ford diesels were not intended to shit on mxz800's purchase.  That is a steal in that kind of condition.  Hell even if it had the 5.4 gas motor, what do you get these days for $500 for crying out loud? 

I'd a snatched it up in a heartbeat.  Good find. :bc:

7 hours ago, hayward said:

I agree.  My opinions of the ford diesels were not intended to shit on mxz800's purchase.  That is a steal in that kind of condition.  Hell even if it had the 5.4 gas motor, what do you get these days for $500 for crying out loud? 

You are not shitting on my purchase, I'm a Mopar guy and only reason I bought it was price and have driven it at work on occasion and know the truck and how maintenance is done on them

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 hours ago, hayward said:

I had an '04 F350 with a 6.0 that was burning coolant for a year before it quit and refused to restart. I stripped any parts I could use (the flat deck, wheels and tires, plow harness, trailer hitch) and sold it to a wrecker for $900.

That was a steal at $500.

Edited by Blackstar

• 1 month later...

got the truck finally on road and inspected all within 2 hours, needed nothing, must be only a couple of bad glow plugs because if you cycle it twice it starts right up and runs great and has been in the 30's here in the morning, got the new glow plugs and if I get time going to tear it down this weekend

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

got the truck finally on road and inspected all within 2 hours, needed nothing, must be only a couple of bad glow plugs because if you cycle it twice it starts right up and runs great and has been in the 30's here in the morning, got the new glow plugs and if I get time going to tear it down this weekend

Be sure to check for sticking injectors while you're in there. Can cause similar symptoms. :usflag:

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

Do a voltage test on your FICM.

ficm problems was with the 6.0           how are you going to tell that an injector is sticking by looking at it???? the hardest part of replacing glow plugs in a 7.3 is getting the valve cover off. wiring harness runs through the gasket. and buy the plugs from ford. almost always i buy parts cheaper from ford than napa

4 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Can't go wrong for $500. Even for a Ford. :bc:

Fucker runs great best $500 I have spent in a long time should be a good truck once I get the dump insert in will have about 3k in it, CHEAP beater work truck. Got my $500 back in new batteries and 80% tires

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

dump came from a local landscaper/snowplow guy was in a plow truck he bought, he has 1 ton dumps and didn't need it and it sat for 3 years, other than needing some paint doesn't look like it hauled much if anything at all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

wasn't that the last year of the 6.4 that wasn't much better than the later 6.0

not sure what is in it thought 6.0  .I know as far as oil burners go i have never been impresed with that pile . it is lucky to get 1 mpg better yanking my toy hauler than my 5.0 gassers . 

i can't believe he is actually paying for a rebuild I would scrap the fucking thing 

Edited by Ez ryder

6 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

wasn't that the last year of the 6.4 that wasn't much better than the later 6.0

Yes it was...it was alot better then the 6.0 if you deleted it right away.   They were very hard on fuel as well if you didnt delete and run a tuner.