Check your account email address ×

Favourite childhood restaurants

11 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

A+W drive in was the best, dad would load us up in the station wagon a couple times a month to go there. Order into a speaker box menu and a car hop brought the food out.

Not as a kid but as a teenager our local A&W was the hot spot. Great food and all the best looking young ladies car hopped there. A teenagers dream come true, food and girls and the mandatory tire shredding attempt as you exited. The 60's were a great time.

• Like 1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

They still have A & Ws in Quebec, love eating there when I'm up snowmobiling. :bc:

They opened the first new A&W in years this summer in Almont MI.  That's just south of me.  I can think of 5 locations around me here in MI.  :bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
21 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

They opened the first new A&W in years this summer in Almont MI.  That's just south of me.  I can think of 5 locations around me here in MI.  :bc:

All this talk of A&W so I'm going to the one by Oakland Mall for lunch  :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

All this talk of A&W so I'm going to the one by Oakland Mall for lunch  :lol: 

There's on in Yale and I think their food is the best of any locations I've been to recently.  That location is very old school.  :bc: <--Root Beer!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

There's on in Yale and I think their food is the best of any locations I've been to recently.  That location is very old school.  :bc: <--Root Beer!

Not sure if Deckerville is having their Grass drags this year or no but if they do I'll check that out on the way  :bc: 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

There was one here in Charlevoix when I was really young...maybe 1974...the root beer in one of those heavy mugs was so good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmeeAgain said:

Holy shit.  I forgot about that.  Besides our fucking Hardees...just down the street we had an old school A & W drive in my dad used to take us to.  I loved their onion rings.  Shit...I remember wanting to go there and eat some rings after I got my tongue stitched up after a mite puck game.  My old man was like..."he's got mental problems".  EXtra salt please!

:lol:

Fuck...just brought back some old memories.  Wow.

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

There was one here in Charlevoix when I was really young...maybe 1974...the root beer in one of those heavy mugs was so good.

YUP.  My dad used to order a root beer float and it came in a big glass mug.  Damn...long time ago.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Holy shit.  I forgot about that.  Besides our fucking Hardees...just down the street we had an old school A & W drive in my dad used to take us to.  I loved their onion rings.  Shit...I remember wanting to go there and eat some rings after I got my tongue stitched up after a mite puck game.  My old man was like..."he's got mental problems".  EXtra salt please!

:lol:

Fuck...just brought back some old memories.  Wow.

You were getting stitched up after a Mites game? Sounds like a more serious game in your neck of the woods :nhl_checking:

7 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

You were getting stitched up after a Mites game? Sounds like a more serious game in your neck of the woods :nhl_checking:

No...I got tripped up over myself and apparently, had my tongue hanging out of my face when my chin hit the ice.  :lol: 

Sadly, my skilz never improved much after that either but, I was more aware of the importance of "tongue positioning" (that's what she said).  :lmao:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

No...I got tripped up over myself and apparently, had my tongue hanging out of my face when my chin hit the ice.  :lol: 

Sadly, my skilz never improved much after that either but, I was more aware of the importance of "tongue positioning" (that's what she said).  :lmao:

I remember being that age and all amped up to get out on the ice....and forgot to take my skate guards off! Face plant with my brand new Itech shield  :lol: I think my dad was more embarrassed then I was 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I remember being that age and all amped up to get out on the ice....and forgot to take my skate guards off! Face plant with my brand new Itech shield  :lol: I think my dad was more embarrassed then I was 

Fathers don't get embarrassed over their kids playing puck.  It's IMPOSSIBLE.

And yeah...I've done that too!  More times than I want to admit.  Gotta remember if you are playing pond hockey or barn hockey ALL THE TIME!  ooops.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I forget about Buscemis Pizza....there was one down the street from Grandmas in St. Clair Shores. Not a restaurant but you Metro Detroiters probably remember Town Club Pop.

My late father in law said that stuff was super cheap swill, an he lived in West Bloomberg Mi.   :lol:

1 minute ago, hwytohell said:

My late father in law said that stuff was super cheap swill, an he lived in West Bloomberg Mi.   :lol:

Ha...my sister lives in West Bloomfield but when you’re a kid that stuff was a treat especially when it was only a few times a year! 😋

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I forget about Buscemis Pizza....there was one down the street from Grandmas in St. Clair Shores. Not a restaurant but you Metro Detroiters probably remember Town Club Pop.

Who the heck was it that used to tout Town Club on TV? Was that Sonny Elliot?