Check your account email address ×

Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

My 20 year old stepson has no motivation to do anything physical. Life to him is all about his data plan on cellphone and xbox.  They think everyone can be a video game designer and computer programmer.

I tried to get him interested in snowmobiles, atvs, chainsaws.  Anything to get him outside.  Nothing doing.

when i was a kid if i could touch anything power that was awesome.  I was there.  And school work sometimes suffered.

Now there school work suffers and they are still not doing anything for exercise or being outdoors.

When I was in high school,  I would routinely skip my afternoon class to go work at the mechanical shop I worked at part time at, but full time hours most weeks....

Loved being there using tools, trucks, lift trucks, torches, etc.....

3 hours ago, Sksman said:

My 20 year old stepson has no motivation to do anything physical. Life to him is all about his data plan on cellphone and xbox.  They think everyone can be a video game designer and computer programmer.

I tried to get him interested in snowmobiles, atvs, chainsaws.  Anything to get him outside.  Nothing doing.

when i was a kid if i could touch anything power that was awesome.  I was there.  And school work sometimes suffered.

Now there school work suffers and they are still not doing anything for exercise or being outdoors.

Mine though he was going into a field as a game designer,  so I loaded Visual Studio and setup the XBOX One Developer on his laptop for him and his friends to give a try.

I don't think the interest lasted to long as they likely believed the process went from their thoughts to code.:lol:

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

I think being exposed to mechanical things when a person is younger is a major factor. 

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/why-your-teenager-cant-use-a-hammer/

My nephew has always fiddled w/ stuff & enjoyed Lego. In high school he had Construction Techniques which from the way he described it, is a diverse introduction to various trades in construction. At my old high school, the shop that had been used for drama class has now been refitted for the same course. Students build, wire & plumb a little structure the size of a large garden shed.

Most kids are not very mechanically inclined and its really a shame.  However we need to blame the parents today for looking down on the trades.  Yes when you kid does 4 years of university in Liberal Art's and ends up working in retail selling clothes that was a wise choice.

49 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Mine though he was going into a field as a game designer,  so I loaded Visual Studio and setup the XBOX One Developer on his laptop for him and his friends to give a try.

I don't think the interest lasted to long as they likely believed the process went from their thoughts to code.:lol:

you can still enter game design if you have good ideas but coding isn't for most, you either get it or you don't.

Game tester is a great job if you have the smarts for video games

The idea of only having an ON or OFF switch in sequence of code is hard to grasp - base2

Edited by 1trailmaker

20 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

you can still enter game design if you have good ideas but coding isn't for most, you either get it or you don't.

Game tester is a great job if you have the smarts for video games

The idea of only having an ON or OFF switch in sequence of code is hard to grasp - base2

Game tester would be his calling but he is starting to weed off them as his other head takes over.

Who knew zeros and ones can get complicated.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Game tester would be his calling but he is starting to weed off them as his other head takes over.

Who knew zeros and ones can get complicated.

don't forget hexadecimal.... I remember the days when I used to have to pour through a hexdump trying to find out why a system failed

Capture1.JPG.4eb30efe36f2f402cbdcae8defd6f5a2.JPG

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

don't forget hexadecimal.... I remember the days when I used to have to pour through a hexdump trying to find out why a system failed

Capture1.JPG.4eb30efe36f2f402cbdcae8defd6f5a2.JPG

I remember using decompilers to debug and bypass software security that used the hardware keys on the parellel ports.  Fuck you needed a key for each option you wanted, things used to stick out a foot and a half.  Lol.

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Most kids are not very mechanically inclined and its really a shame.  However we need to blame the parents today for looking down on the trades.  Yes when you kid does 4 years of university in Liberal Art's and ends up working in retail selling clothes that was a wise choice.

That was present in the mid 70s when I was just entering high school as well.

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

That was present in the mid 70s when I was just entering high school as well.

Sure but not as much as today.  It just shows the ignorance of the majority.

I'm pretty fortunate to be involved in the design of systems and then get to see them implemented in the field.  So we work closely with Engineering, MES, IS and most of the trades however for the trades it's usually towards the near completion of projects at the commissioning stage.

They make good money and with OT, usually more than most of the professionals they are taking orders from.:lol:

I know for one I could never stand working in a cubicle all day, trying to stare outside to watch the grass grow.:lol:

• Like 1

I doubt they will do that again

NORTH BAY — Police were called in to help locate a runaway dog with a sleigh occupied by a child.

On Nov. 22, at 5:41 p.m., members of the OPP North Bay detachment received a call about a missing two-year-old in Redbridge.

Police learned that at about 4:30 p.m., the family was out for a walk. The toddler was in a sleigh tied to a dog when the dog ran away into the bush with the sleigh and child in tow. The family was unable to locate the two and called police.  

Members of the North Bay Detachment, Emergency Response Team (E.R.T.), Canine Unit, and S.A.V.E. Unit (Snowmobile, All -Terrain Vehicle and Vessels Enforcement) attended the scene. An ERT member utilized the Unmanned Ariel System (UAS), some members were on foot and others on ATV's. The OPP Aviation Services, Helicopter Unit was on route as well.

At 8:00 p.m., the child was located with her mother. The mother had located the child and dog that had been snagged around a tree. Both the child and mother were unharmed, and they were brought out of the bush via OPP ATV.

The Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act will hike the minimum wage to $15, provide at least two paid, job-protected sick days for all workers, increase holiday entitlement, and boost protections for temporary employment agency workers. It passed its third and final reading Wednesday, with Liberal and NDP MPPs voting in favour and Conservative lawmakers opposing.

equal pay for temp and part-time workers who are doing the same job as full-time employees, and make it easier for temp agency workers and homecare and building services workers to join a union.

All workers will now have access to 10 personal emergency leave days, including at least two paid sick days

Employees who are with a company for five years will be entitled to three weeks vacation.

If Brown is elected premier next spring, the wage would rise 25 cents annually until reaching $15 in 2022

That is alot to swallow

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/11/24/jewish-group-puslinch-township-residents-urge-new-name-for-swastika-trail.html

Fishman said B’nai Brith Canada is also aware of a town in northern Ontario called Swastika, which was named in the early 1900s, but noted that he wasn’t aware of any residents in that community reaching out to his group for help changing the town’s name.

“We still think it’s inappropriate, but we prioritize the Swastika Trail in Puslinch, because there are local residents who have reached out and said, ‘we want you help in changing the name,’” he said. “That’s why we feel we really have a duty to speak up on this issue.”

Carolyn O’Neil, a local historian in Swastika, Ont., said the town was named in the early 1900s after a local gold mine that used the symbol as one signifying good luck.

“We can’t destroy our history,” she said, noting that the town has never had any association with Nazism.

I worked west of Swastika in '79 & don't recall anyone being upset about the name. Will sub-Asians be offended by the removal of said name?

Selective outrage?

Maybe we can rename it Townie McTownface like this nonsense when the public is asked:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/18/world/boaty-mcboatface-wins-vote/index.html

https://www.marinelink.com/news/mcferryface-australia431300

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

if Wynne's hydro cuts were on the backs of our grandchildren blah blah why is it all of a sudden good to go for another 12%?   I will take it though

Interesting they are not going to dump the tax bracket on the rich :dunno: 

Free Dental - 02sled should love that

scrap the emissions yahooo

so 2% off taxes?  02sled said it wasn't a cut when federal Liberals did it last year.  

should be good, this will make others give even more

Edited by 1trailmaker

16 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

if Wynne's hydro cuts were on the backs of our grandchildren blah blah why is it all of a sudden good to go for another 12%?   I will take it though

Interesting they are not going to dump the tax bracket on the rich :dunno: 

Free Dental - 02sled should love that

scrap the emissions yahooo

so 2% off taxes?  02sled said it wasn't a cut when federal Liberals did it last year.  

should be good, this will make others give even more

Wrong wrong wrong as usual Fail.... you will never get past the smoke and mirrors that the Libtards fool the hell out of you with... hey look everybody we are going to give you an income tax cut.  Keep very very focussed on that so you don't notice that we are going to take MUCH MUCH more from you in things like carbon taxes and other fees. Hopefully you'll never notice that in the end you have even less of YOUR money in YOUR pocket.

NOTHING BUT NOTHING IS FREE. Only a libtard would consider it free because it's being paid for with someone else's money.

Probably a key difference in how this can be funded is cutting back on bloated government spending and waste which is rampant. End result, government needs less taxpayer money. If they are going to let us keep more of OUR money by cutting waste and spending great. If they are going to put a little into your front pocket and take much more out of your back pocket... forget it.

Just imagine if Fail put in a full day of actual work... they could cut at least one full person from his department. Maybe two. After all 3 people doing a third of a day actual work could be done by one person doing a full day of work.

Edited by 02sled

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I had to laugh @ this guy

latest?cb=20091113005307

Oops I meant this guy

steven-delduca.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086

saying Brown will say anything to get elected. Isn't that what the Liberals do?

They all do the same thing

Conservatives are changing, you can see it federally and provincially - clearly their old tactics don't work that well in today's world.

Giving acknowledgement to GAYS must be killing the hard core Cons

I am pretty sure the Liberals know having the power in Ontario is done, time to move on

15 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

They all do the same thing

Conservatives are changing, you can see it federally and provincially - clearly their old tactics don't work that well in today's world.

Giving acknowledgement to GAYS must be killing the hard core Cons

I am pretty sure the Liberals know having the power in Ontario is done, time to move on

Exactly, so Del Duca should've toned down the 'outrage'. Critique it yes, but saying, "Brown will say anything to get elected" is ridiculous.

Not related to Wynne, but just shows the misplaced priorities of our MPPs.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-mpp-calls-for-trans-day-of-remembrance-to-become-law-1.3701724

There was chatter on the TV about the day (no mention of her proposed Bill) on Nov' 20th. I looked up the date and in Canada it was being 'celebrated' as Nation Childrens' Day (which the media ignored), no mention of a day of remembrance.

Trans advocate Susan Gapka says the community experiences high levels of violence, in particular toward trans women of colour, and a day of remembrance is an opportunity to honour lives lost and reflect on larger social issues.

Egale Canada executive director Helen Kennedy says trans people are some of the most marginalized in society and a day of remembrance recognizes the violence perpetrated against them.

The same thing could be said about homeless people. 

Will this result in a stat holiday? Will anyone outside of the LGBT community care? Does anyone care when they hear that 'today' is National/International/World (fill in the blank) Day? Unless the day is celebrated w/ a day off, it's just another day in their daily lives for MOST people.

Checking this site:

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/

November 20th

Edited by revrnd