Check your account email address ×

First legal bare knuckle fight in over 100 years.

59 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I always laugh when we worry about long term effects on football players.  :lol:  

Bare knuckle is safer than gloved fights. Both styles are less damaging to the brain than football. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Bare knuckle is safer than gloved fights. Both styles are less damaging to the brain than football. 

:pc: Really?

Study – Why are CTE Symptoms Worse for Boxers vs. Other Athletes?

Two combat sports worthy topics were addressed.  First the authors discussed the worse symptoms of CTE in boxers vs other athletes such as football players.  The authors hypothesize that the clinical presentation in boxers may be more profound due to the rotational forces associated with hook punches as opposed to the linear forces from straight on collisions.  Second the authors repeat the advice that a strong neck is a useful asset in reducing risk for head trauma for athletes.

https://combatsportslaw.com/2017/04/11/study-why-are-cte-symptoms-worse-for-boxers-vs-other-athletes/

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

:pc: Really?

Study – Why are CTE Symptoms Worse for Boxers vs. Other Athletes?

Two combat sports worthy topics were addressed.  First the authors discussed the worse symptoms of CTE in boxers vs other athletes such as football players.  The authors hypothesize that the clinical presentation in boxers may be more profound due to the rotational forces associated with hook punches as opposed to the linear forces from straight on collisions.  Second the authors repeat the advice that a strong neck is a useful asset in reducing risk for head trauma for athletes.

https://combatsportslaw.com/2017/04/11/study-why-are-cte-symptoms-worse-for-boxers-vs-other-athletes/

Yeah really. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16331164/

Just now, spin_dry said:

Your study is talking actual impact.   My study is showing the results of those impacts.  

Of Known Cases Professional Boxers Show Most Debilitating CTE Symptoms

A worthwhile study was recently published in the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Neurology discussing what is known and not known about CTE in athletes competing in contact sports.

In the study, titled “Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in Athletes Involved with High-Impact Sports” the authorsreviewed major clinical studies identifying CTE cases in athletes looking for conclusions and shortcomings in the data.

Among the conclusions drawn are that, of known athletes with CTE, professional boxers demonstrated the most debilitating symptoms.  Also of note the authors suggest that strengthening neck muscles (a topic previously canvassed here) can help minimize the risks of CTE for contact sports athletes.

The study is worth reading in full and can be accessed here.

In addressing the increased symptoms in boxers vs football players and discussing possible strategies to reduce risk the authors note as follows:

Clinical and pathological features of CTE can manifest differently between sports, as rTBI exposure and mechanisms of impact can vary considerably. In fact, an analysis of previously reported CTE cases by Montenigro et al. [29] showed a vast difference in clinical presentation. 83% (5/6) of professional boxers, who had more debilitating motor impairments, compared to 18.8% (3/16) of professional football players. In addition, severe dentate neurofibrillary tangles were present in 17% (2/12) and 80% (4/5) of professional football players and boxers, respectively, indicating a more pernicious progression in boxers [29]. The difference in symptoms and neuropathology may be explained through the frequency of linear and rotational impact forces that occur in both sports.

Rotational forces causing angular accelerations are frequent in boxing. Boxers face their greatest danger when their opponent lands a hook punch, where impact near the lateral side of the head cause rapid outward rotation of the skull and twisting forces the brain [29]. Lateral bending of the neck can also occur, but linear forces from a punch are often below the mTBI threshold [58]. The rotational movement of the brain causes shearing forces that can lead to axonal damage [59]. Shearing forces are most prominent near areas such as the midbrain section, where glial and axonal injury could result in severely debilitating consequences [29,58].

As opposed to punches, helmet-to-helmet or helmet-to-ground contact forces cause the majority of mTBI injuries in professional football players. Viano et al. [58] have shown that in professional football concussions, inertial forces can be up to 30% greater than inertial forces in professional boxers who endure a hook punch. The greater inertial forces correlate with a higher linear acceleration endured by football players, suggesting that linear forces are prominent in causing concussive and subconcussive impacts in professional football players. In support of this mechanism, brain modeling shows that rotational accelerations from uppercuts or hook punches are much greater than rotational accelerations in professional football helmet-to-helmet impacts [58]. The linear to rotational force ratio difference between boxers and football players could explain the differences in clinical presentation between the two sports.

In professional football, helmet-to-helmet collisions can cause the head to move in the anterior or posterior direction. The incidence rates of mTBI have been shown to vary depending on position, with running backs and wide receivers suffering from mTBI more than linemen [60]. Neck musculature acts to stabilize the position of the head, and a more developed musculature is directly correlated to lowered mTBI risk [61]. Linemen have been found to have stronger necks and larger girth compared to running backs, which could act to slow linear accelerations of the head and reduce risk of mTBI [62]. The differences in neck strength between positions may explain the varying incidence rates of mTBI. Additionally, it should be noted that different player positions may be more prone to certain types of impacts—linemen may experience more frequent subconcussive helmet-to-helmet impact, while wide receivers could endure more threatening forces while being tackled. The pathological repercussions of variations in impact type and frequency between boxing and football have yet to be elucidated in full detail, but they may partially explain the difference in clinical presentation between different types of athletes.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Bullshit. These MMA guys are gonna have a hard life after they cant fight anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Bullshit. These MMA guys are gonna have a hard life after they cant fight anymore. 

There’s another aspect here. Football players are subjected to heavy hits on a weekly basis. Boxing and mma fighters aren’t. It’s not the concussion but more the  layering of one concussion after another that creates lasting and permanent damages. Giving the type of force inflicted, football remains the most damaging. 

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s another aspect here. Football players are subjected to heavy hits on a weekly basis. Boxing and mma fighters aren’t. It’s not the concussion but more the  layering of one concussion after another that creates lasting and permanent damages. Giving the type of force inflicted, football remains the most damaging. 

Yep...they talk about the accumulative effect of hits from pee wee up to the pros. The hits don’t have to cause concussions to be damaging.

It will be interesting...maybe.  They'd better tape those hands up real good if they're gonna be throwing real punches and not just hugging and grabbing at eachother between bunny jabs for 10 rounds.

Boxing is fucking ghey.

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Bare knuckle does cause less brain damage than with gloves. But causes more superficial damage 

Back in the days of Pride you saw a lot more slaps. Bas Rutten had the slap  down pat. I wonder if the old days of bare knuckle fighting the guys used slapping techniques? I bet they did. 

Edited by spin_dry

6 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I would just clobber you with my corner stool , then fire you over the top rope onto the announcers table .  :bc:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I would just clobber you with my corner stool , then fire you over the top rope onto the announcers table .  :bc:

You’re a young guy. I’m old. 

10 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You’re a young guy. I’m old. 

3 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I could never raise a hand to you in anger , Greg , you are the best .   :bc: 

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Back in the days of Pride you saw a lot more slaps. Bas Rutten had the slap  down pat. I wonder if the old days of bare knuckle fighting the guys used slapping techniques? I bet they did. 

His leg kicks..brutal..