Check your account email address ×

Seattle’s high minimum wage effects

• Gold Member

10 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I just did the math for you above.

14 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Looking to rent a two-bedroom apartment in Seattle? You’re going to need to make at least $29.21 per hour to afford it, according to a new report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition. 

$29.21/hr x 2080hrs = 60756.80

60,756.80/12= 5063.07/mo

@30% housing spending that comes out to $1518.92/mo.

So average rent in Washington state is $1229 for a 2 bedroom. One needs to make $23 and change to afford that. 

To afford the same thing in Seattle it's less than $300/mo more. And wages are better in Seattle. 

Seems about right. Don't know why you're bitching about it. 

Find a few 2 bed apartments in Seattle at $1518 a month in Seattle.....

on your marks......…..............  get set...........

GO!!!!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Why anyone would pay these prices proves:

17 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Jesus Fuck.  Is there any common sense any more?

No, no comon' sense, you can get a loan for $700,000 at almost %4 for 3k a mo, build equity, no money down and make out like a bandit. Why people rent is beyond me, if you plan on staying in a location for more than 2-5 years. You're better off buying. If you're looking for your place in life, and unsure of your goal, sure, rent.

14 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

How much of your income goes to your mortgage? Do you even know?

0% paid off. Then again, I'm smarter than you. Taxes and insurance baby!

What's your magic %# Mr. Know it all?

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

GO!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just going on what the article said. "It takes $29.21/hr to afford a 2 bed in Seattle."

That works out to $1518/mo. 

And I mean *newsflash* housing in a large, growing city is expensive! OMG, call in the national guard!!!

5 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Why anyone would pay these prices proves:

No, no comon' sense, you can get a loan for $700,000 at almost %4 for 3k a mo, build equity, no money down and make out like a bandit. Why people rent is beyond me, if you plan on staying in a location for more than 2-5 years. You're better off buying. If you're looking for your place in life, and unsure of your goal, sure, rent.

0% paid off. Then again, I'm smarter than you. Taxes and insurance baby!

What's your magic %# Mr. Know it all?

And at 3k/month you should be pulling down about 4 times that in income. No one is doing that.

I got less than 5 years left on my mortgage and I'm at about 20% housing to income.

Edited by motonoggin

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

I'm just going on what the article said. "It takes $29.21/hr to afford a 2 bed in Seattle."

And I mean *newsflash* housing in a large, growing city is expensive! OMG, call in the national guard!!!

Yep up about the same as minimum wage! :bc:  It’s what the higher minimum wages can afford.   Higher apartment rates equal to there last raise.

Just now, motonoggin said:

National Guard is is handling national security at the border. Call back between normal business hours, between the times of "no one cares about city folk, and figure it the fuck out o'clock"... :violin:

15 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

GO!!!!!!!!!!

There's a nice 450sq ft going for 1495 a mo! :iagree:

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Yep up about the same as minimum wage! :bc:  It’s what the higher minimum wages can afford.   Higher apartment rates equal to there last raise.

Close in percentage, but not actual income. They're not spending all their money on rent. 

Even if rents are 15% higher, you still bring home more money after a 15% raise. 

5 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Just imagine how much more people could afford if minimum wage was less. :bc:

:lol:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

I doubt many making minimum wage are living in the city anyway, I thought minimum wage people were wanting less hours so not to disrupt their welfare??

They are better off on welfare...

• Platinum Contributing Member

The winners in a minimum wage of $15 Insurance companioes that sell workmens comp policies.

The losers , seniors who if they get a cola at all will be no where near the amount of inflation that that wage increase created.Keep in mine with a $15 min , anyone making $30 or under will be getting a raise.

8 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol: I knew this subject would get even more retarded when racer would join in

4 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Every subject does.

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

it's funny, yet sad. sad that some people are actually this dumb.

Oh look, a couple more rent free places.  Lots of space in little brain of yours.

What's funny is that you still can't comprehend the results of the seattle min wage experiment.

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

A decade of Fox News has turned half the nation’s brains into puddles of shit

Hot broads have been doing that to men for centuries. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Oh look, a couple more rent free places.  Lots of space in little brain of yours.

What's funny is that you still can't comprehend the results of the seattle min wage experiment.

I think we do, you don't. 

Just now, racer254 said:

the fucking minimum wage increases have absolutely 0 with rent increases. fucking 0. seattle is doing well in the jobs sector, bringing people into the area. that drives up demand for properties, which drives up rental prices. what needs to happen is the minimum wage needs to increase as a result of that. otherwise only the wealthy are going to be able to afford housing in the area. what makes this even funnier, is the notion that all of you morons said these wage increases were going to kill economies, when the fucking opposite has happened.

jesus I'd bet my 5 year old niece has a better grasp of this shit than some of you.

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

the fucking minimum wage increases have absolutely 0 with rent increases. fucking 0. seattle is doing well in the jobs sector, bringing people into the area. that drives up demand for properties, which drives up rental prices. what needs to happen is the minimum wage needs to increase as a result of that. otherwise only the wealthy are going to be able to afford housing in the area. what makes this even funnier, is the notion that all of you morons said these wage increases were going to kill economies, when the fucking opposite has happened.

jesus I'd bet my 5 year old niece has a better grasp of this shit than some of you.

It's hard for you to apply logic.  I bet you have taken the easiest and simplest answers all your life.

Edited by racer254