Check your account email address ×

Seattle’s high minimum wage effects

• Gold Member

Seattle minimum wage increase in 2017... 15%

seattle rent increase in 2017 13.5%...

coicidence????  Has increasing the minimum wage in Seattle improved the lives of those making minimum wage?

Just now, BOHICA said:

Seattle minimum wage increase in 2017... 15%

seattle rent increase in 2017 13.5%...

coicidence????  Has increasing the minimum wage in Seattle improved the lives of those making minimum wage?

You dummy. It’s all about supply and demand. Seattle is the fastest growing larger city in America. That’s despite the high minimum wage. Amazon currently has 9000 job openings. I was there 3 months ago. All you see in some areas are apartment buildings being built. It’s just now showing some signs of housing catching up. 

Let's say I make $1300/wk.

I get a 15% raise. Now I make $1495/wk

Let's say my rent is $300/wk. 

My rent then goes up 15%. It is now $345/wk.

My budget before: 1300-300= $1000

After: 1495-345=$1150

Do you even math, bro?

• Gold Member

Seattle....  highest apartment vacancy rate in seven years in 2017...  weird the cost of a 2 bed in Seattle is equivalent to 2 minimum wage jobs...   the increase in rent mirrors increase in minimum wage.  hmmmmmm

https://seattle.curbed.com/2017/9/29/16386922/seattle-apartment-vacancy-rate

Just now, BOHICA said:

Seattle....  highest apartment vacancy rate in seven years in 2017...  weird the cost of a 2 bed in Seattle is equivalent to 2 minimum wage jobs...   the increase in rent mirrors increase in minimum wage.  hmmmmmm

Opps :lol: poor shit for brainses 

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

"Their report says to expect Seattle’s rent increases to slow down as a result—with increased supply, landlords may be more desperate to fill units."

• Gold Member
Just now, motonoggin said:

"Their report says to expect Seattle’s rent increases to slow down as a result—with increased supply, landlords may be more desperate to fill units."

Minimum wage is done being increased.... of course rent increases are going to slow down

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Minimum wage is done being increased.... of course rent increases are going to slow down

*Derp* increased demand for housing doesn't cause the price to rise, only increased wages *derp*

*Derp* increased housing supply doesn't cause the price to drop, only falling wages *derp*

• Gold Member
25 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Let's say I make $1300/wk.

I get a 15% raise. Now I make $1495/wk

Let's say my rent is $300/wk. 

My rent then goes up 15%. It is now $345/wk.

My budget before: 1300-300= $1000

After: 1495-345=$1150

Do you even math, bro?

Let’s say you made minimum wage in Seattle in 2016....  13$ an hour or 520$ a week...  you get 80$ a week increase...  15$ an hour.... your rent goes from 2000$ a month to $2340. 2 bed apartment in a city with the highest vacancy rate in years....  your entire raise goes to rent which is paid to the rich that endorsed the minimum wage increase by the government.

Edited by BOHICA

Just now, Snoslinger said:

Hmmm I’ve often wondered why nyc is so expensive. They need to drop the minimum wage !!!

That's fucking brilliant!

I wonder why no one has ever thought of doing that...

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Just put down the shovel 

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Let’s say you made minimum wage in Seattle in 2016....  13$ an hour or 520$ a week...  you get 80$ a week increase...  15$ an hour.... your rent goes from 2000$ a month to $2340. 2 bed apartment in a city with the highest vacancy rate in years....  your entire raise goes to rent which is paid to the rich that endorsed the minimum wage increase.

Omg :lol: