Check your account email address ×

Opioid overdose deaths reach record level in Canada

• Platinum Contributing Member

A record number of Canadians died of opioid overdoses in 2017, according to figures released by Health Canada today.

The data shows a sharp spike in fatal overdoses — up more than 45 per cent from 2016's then-record 2,861 deaths, with 2,923 victims in just the first nine months of 2017.

The vast majority of the overdose deaths —72 per cent — are attributable to one drug, fentanyl.

And the government expects that the final 2017 death toll from Canada's hard-drug epidemic will surpass 4,000.

That may well be enough to push overdoses into the top 10 causes of death for the first time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/national-today-newsletter-opioid-fentanyl-cricket-colombia-1.4593667

When the news media panicked about this last year I asked a friend who works in family services why people are going anywhere near fentanyl given the bad press.  Druggies are stupid but this seemed to far.  

Evidently joints can be laced with it and other drugs can be cut with it. So a lot of these deaths are from people who weren’t intentionally taking it. 

Dying from an opioid for just smoking a joint would be shitty for the family. 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, revkevsdi said:

When the news media panicked about this last year I asked a friend who works in family services why people are going anywhere near fentanyl given the bad press.  Druggies are stupid but this seemed to far.  

Evidently joints can be laced with it and other drugs can be cut with it. So a lot of these deaths are from people who weren’t intentionally taking it. 

Please, nobody will put it in a joint without knowing it. Its used to cut heroin .

50 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I’m not into drugs like you are oops

Sorry for labelling you. You seem so stupid, I just assumed it was drug related. 

I hope the reports are false. Honestly if people are knowingly buying and using opiates after all the reports, fuckem. They are too dumb to live or they didn’t care enough about their life so why should I?

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

Trudeau will fix that.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Please, nobody will put it in a joint without knowing it. Its used to cut heroin .

Not to mention like 26 states have some form of legal marijuana and almost anyone can get premium designer pot from a reputable source. Youre not buying that shit from dudes standing on the corner anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Many are if they are young. 

Good to know. In that case, I propose banning Narcan. Give the gift of life to the worthy not the worthless. Save on tax dollars, population control, help prevent the demand of the drug trade (legal and illegal), help people in need, reduce kidnapping bathtub kidney transplants. I could go on, but I think I made my point...

21 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Good to know. In that case, I propose banning Narcan. Give the gift of life to the worthy not the worthless. Save on tax dollars, population control, help prevent the demand of the drug trade (legal and illegal), help people in need, reduce kidnapping bathtub kidney transplants. I could go on, but I think I made my point...

Recently my niece received a kidney transplant after being on dialysis for 5 years. Being closely involved and talking with her doctors they said even though overdose deaths are on the rise the bright side is organ donations are giving life to those that need it and want it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sledderj said:

A bunch of people died around here in the last month from fentanyl laced coke.  I've heard about it being found in MJ as well.  

Crazy how deadly the stuff is.  

It’s an anesthetic. Not even a good high. 

4 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Would their organs be recognized as donor quality? Serious question.

As long as the donor isn’t hep c or some other disease positive. Opiates cause little damage to the organs. It’s not like alcohol.