Check your account email address ×

Farmers taking it yet again...

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I like milk at 2.50 a gallon but if its 3$ and it helps people I'd like to pay a little more 

Exactly. In 1986 milk was $2.29 a gallon and an f-250 was $17k

Now milk is $2.50 and an f-250 is $40k The gvmt needs to get out of it and let the market decide the damn price.

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I like milk at 2.50 a gallon but if its 3$ and it helps people I'd like to pay a little more 

I don't know how the small dairies are making it right now, especially if they have operating loans.  We sold out 3 years ago, and were getting paid the same price we were 30 years before that.  I don't think prices have changed a whole bunch. 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Farms will do all right....  they have plenty of welfare.  just for example you can search government welfare of farmers by name, zip code, county state.... just quick search of say some place like Mitchell South Dakota you can see the huge government welfare recipients and the amount of each within the zip code 57301.  Data accurate thru 2016.

https://farm.ewg.org/addrsearch.php?s=yup&stab=US&zip=57301&z=See+Recipients&last=&stab=AL&first=&fullname=&stab2=AL

what is your zip code????  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You wont see me outright disparaging farmers but when the fuckers cry that our attempts to attain fair trade are causing them harm because countries that are fucking us retaliate with tariffs on their products.....well that pisses me off. We are all on the same team here......how long have farmers been on the dole???? They need to realize that many other domestic producers of all types of goods have been getting the shaft for a long time and if we need to get nasty with some countries and they dont want to buy our goods then so be it 

I agree.  Batten down the hatches.  That worn out planter?  Well, it's gonna have to be rebuilt rather than replaced for the next couple of years.  Want a new family car?  Well, thats gonna be on hold.  Some of these guys forget what it's like to have to scratch and scrounge to make a living.  

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Farms will do all right....  they have plenty of welfare.  just for example you can search government welfare of farmers by name, zip code, county state.... just quick search of say some place like Mitchell South Dakota you can see the huge government welfare recipients and the amount of each within the zip code 57301.  Data accurate thru 2016.

https://farm.ewg.org/addrsearch.php?s=yup&stab=US&zip=57301&z=See+Recipients&last=&stab=AL&first=&fullname=&stab2=AL

what is your zip code????  

Subsidies follow along with commodity prices.  What happens when there are 5 years of low commodity prices, subsidies keep dropping,  and input prices remain stead or keep going up?  Farms were going bankrupt with $7 corn and $12 soybeans.  Give it another couple years.  I've seen a lot of interesting auctions already this year, and some rumors are definitely flying around home about a few different farms. 

BTW, I'm not a advocate for subsidies. 

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Subsidies follow along with commodity prices.  What happens when there are 5 years of low commodity prices, subsidies keep dropping,  and input prices remain stead or keep going up?  Farms were going bankrupt with $7 corn and $12 soybeans.  Give it another couple years.  I've seen a lot of interesting auctions already this year, and some rumors are definitely flying around home about a few different farms. 

Top farm around Mitchell South Dakota got 2.7 million over 20 yrs.....  that is mutha fuckin welfare in the tune of well over $100,000 a year....  median household income in SD is like $54,000.

16 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Legalize hemp and refer and farmers will be doing great. 

$3,000 permit here for hemp.  That's just the permit, now you have to find the market for it.  Not the smoking type either.

Edited by hayward

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Top farm around Mitchell South Dakota got 2.7 million over 20 yrs.....  that is mutha fuckin welfare in the tune of well over $100,000 a year....  median household income in SD is like $54,000.

Well, don't believe all this bullshit about the tariffs hurting farmers.  It is by design, everyone should know by now that many dems and repubs don't like trump and will  make up anything so that he looks bad.  Next, if it does start to hurt some, sell some land.  Land is going for big $$$ by me and no one working 40 hours per week can afford much, but many farmers are still able to buy.

Edited by racer254

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I don't think that is right. 

In one of the counties we farm in,  highest subsided farm from 1995-2016 years had a forced auction 10 or 11 years ago. 

Haven't farmed in over 10 years and are still the highest subsidized by more then double the next guy, who is still farming. 

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

In one of the counties we farm in,  highest subsided farm from 1995-2016 years had a forced auction 10 or 11 years ago. 

Haven't farmed in over 10 years and are still the highest subsidized by more then double the next guy, who is still farming. 

Honestly, I am not trying to disparage farmers and farming either as I grew up in a farming community and snowmobilers rely on them as well....BUT, sounds to me like that guy shouldn't have been farming or figured a way out so he could retire.  What's he doing now?

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Many know how to play the system, unfortunately.  Get rid of that shit.  

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Minor compared to what this will do to aerospace and the supply chain. 

I'm pretty sure aerospace the most highly subsidized industry going.  Integral part of the military complex too.  

46 minutes ago, f7ben said:

for sure.....its complicated. Farming is an essential industry here in the US and needs to be given special consideration. I also want to make sure that family farms get special consideration over an above what we would afford corporate operations 

Pretty sure family farms are corporations these days.  They have to be big operations to be viable.  

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Honestly, I am not trying to disparage farmers and farming either as I grew up in a farming community and snowmobilers rely on them as well....BUT, sounds to me like that guy shouldn't have been farming or figured a way out so he could retire.  What's he doing now?

Dad bailed him out and he is back farming.  They are both a couple shysters. 

Just now, sledderj said:

I'm pretty sure aerospace the most highly subsidized industry going.  Integral part of the military complex too.  

Pretty sure family farms are corporations these days.  They have to be big operations to be viable.  

You know what I am saying......gross sales less than 5 million or something as a benchmark 

7 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Well, don't believe all this bullshit about the tariffs hurting farmers.  It is by design, everyone should know by now that many dems and repubs don't like trump and will  make up anything so that he looks bad.  Next, if it does start to hurt some, sell some land.  Land is going for big $$$ by me and no one working 40 hours per week can afford much, but many farmers are still able to buy.

Not here.  Outside money's been buying land around here for quite a while.  Ruined this area.

4 minutes ago, sledderj said:

Interesting. Isn’t one of the reasons to justify tariffs on China is because their good are subsidized? 

13 minutes ago, sledderj said:

Pretty sure family farms are corporations these daysThey have to be big operations to be viable.  

Not all.  There's a way to do it but you've got to cut out the middle man.

42 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

How much did farmers reimburse the government a few years ago when they had record profits....:snack:

32 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Over expanded.....happened in the 80’s....know several far,eras wno sent bankrupt more than once and came out smelling like a rose....today they are millionaires but they fucked people along the way to get where they are....many farmers are great and have a lot of respect for them.....but there’s also a lot of producers who would screw their own if given a chance. 

And don’t give us the bullshit about risk.....when they cry and want subsidized a minimum to protect themselves from low prices.....but reap the rewards when prices are high.   Where’s the risk?  Private profits and public risk.......the AG program in a nutshell.