Check your account email address ×

Sanders buys third home. $600,000 summer home

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Wildcat said:

We do. You seem so defensive. This is an open forum to discuss current events. This is one. Learning what people do and why they do it gives us all insight especially people who are running for president. why are you hating.:wtf:

I'm not defensive rather I'm simply stating my opinion about the topic....how is that hating? Also he isn't running for President.

15 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I'm not defensive rather I'm simply stating my opinion about the topic....how is that hating? Also he isn't running for President.

Well it does seem he funneled a lot of money that was raised, and no doubt much of that will be kicked back. Turns out he is just another scamming politician. Feel the burn.

1 minute ago, Boered said:

Well it does seem he funneled a lot of money that was raised, and no doubt much of that will be kicked back. Turns out he is just another scamming politician. Feel the burn.

I realized that when he endorsed Hillary....fucker had me going.

16 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I realized that when he endorsed Hillary....fucker had me going.

Me too, but as soon as he sold out it was clear he is just another scam artist for sale to highest bidder.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Highmark said:

Still owns 3 homes of which I'll bet all have pretty hefty property taxes.  2014 taxes returns show income of $204,000K.   His wife doesn't earn squat after she almost bankrupted that college.  The other income comes from SS benies ($46K).   How many people do you know who preach income inequality (besides Hillary) own homes in excess of $1,000,000.   He's a hypocrite plain and simple.  

Guy does nothing in congress yet owns that much real estate.  :nuts:

A million dollars in real estate isn't, especially in light that he has mortgages on the homes.

4 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

Who the fuck cares? 

In room full of folks who could give zero fucks at how many contractors Trump stiffed, I agree.

11 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

A million dollars in real estate isn't, especially in light that he has mortgages on the homes.

In room full of folks who could give zero fucks at how many contractors Trump stiffed, I agree.

Bernie's wife ran a college that went bankrupt directly because of her.  How many people did she "stiff"

Edited by racer254

12 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

We don't know for sure about the mortgages, just the homes values. :snack:

Here's another article with a photo of the house that the Sanders just bought. The article calls it a log cabin style home, looks like board and batten house to me :dunno:

Sanders, wife add third home with purchase of lake retreat

Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders home in North Hero. MLS photo

Sen. Bernie Sanders and his wife have purchased a lakefront home in North Hero for $575,000.

The log cabin-style seasonal home on Lake Champlain has four bedrooms and more than 500 feet of Lake Champlain frontage.

Seven Days was the first to report the story.

Bernie Sanders

Sen. Bernie Sanders and his wife, Jane, enjoy the moment in Rock Hill, S.C. File photo by Hilary Hess/Sanders campaign

The senator’s wife, Jane O’Meara Sanders, told the Burlington newspaper the purchase was financed from the proceeds of the sale of a home in Maine that her family owned. According to SF Gate, the North Hero property was listed for $598,000 in early June and the couple closed on the sale a week ago. People Magazine listed the agent as Franz Rosenberger of the local Coldwell Banker office.

“My family had a lake home in Maine since 1900, but we hadn’t had the time to go there in recent years — especially since my parents passed away. We finally let go of it, and that enabled us to buy a place in the islands — something I’ve always hoped for,” Jane Sanders said in a written statement to Seven Days.

The couple plans to continue living in Burlington. They also own a home in Washington, D.C.

I love how some of the comments talk about how Bernie is helping with climate change by making his carbon footprint larger.  Just another do as I say, not as I do politician.  And the general public falls for it.

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

yeah..but if it was 3 diff sleds you would be up with that..lol.

I have never advocated against it.  Limiting choice for some people while indulging and taking advantage of it yourself is unethical and immoral. 

• Gold Member

When your average donation is $29 it is pretty easy to pull 1 of those here and there out of the 10's of millions of donations that come in sbuy yourself a 600k lake house.  Would be really hard for somebody to find which $29 donations he stole from the campaign.  Heck maybe the clinton foundation paid for it for his endorsement.

23 hours ago, BOHICA said:

When your average donation is $29 it is pretty easy to pull 1 of those here and there out of the 10's of millions of donations that come in sbuy yourself a 600k lake house.  Would be really hard for somebody to find which $29 donations he stole from the campaign.  Heck maybe the clinton foundation paid for it for his endorsement.

Yep.  Pretty sad, He had everyone going.  I guess we should have looked closer at what his wife did to the college she worked for.

More from a local website.

Sanders lake home purchase leaves questions unanswered

Bernie Sanders

Bernie and Jane Sanders’ home in North Hero. MLS photo

The wife of U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders is unwilling to explain how the couple purchased a Vermont lakeside home using proceeds from a Maine property. The two parcels have roughly the same value. However, she had been a part-owner of the one in Maine.

According to town records in Bridgton, Maine, Jane O’Meara Sanders gave up her ownership stake in her family’s summer home in June 2015. Two of her brothers, Francis G. O’Meara and Gerard J. O’Meara, are listed as the current owners. All three had owned the property.

In explaining how she and the senator paid for their North Hero summer home, purchased for $575,000 two weeks ago, Jane Sanders told the Champlain Islander and Seven Days newspapers that they used proceeds from the Maine property.

“My family had a lake home in Maine since 1900, but we hadn’t had the time to go there in recent years — especially since my parents passed away,” she said. “We finally let go of it and that enabled us to buy a place in the islands — something I’ve always hoped for.”

According to an obituary from 2005, Jane Sanders’ mother, Bernadette O’Meara, enjoyed “spending summers at her rustic log cabin on the shores of Long Lake in Bridgton, Maine, surrounded by family and friends.”

According to records from Bridgton’s assessor database, the O’Meara family’s Maine waterfront property — 1.24 acres with two small wooden camps — is worth $618,716, slightly more than the North Hero property. The land is evaluated at $508,000, while the two camps are worth a total of $110,716. It has long been in the family and is located on O’Meara Lane.

The Sanderses’ new four-bedroom home in the Champlain Islands — which has 500 feet of Lake Champlain frontage on 1.13 acres — was purchased for $575,000, according to records at the North Hero Town Hall. No mortgage was recorded with the warranty deed, as would be done when a bank loan is involved in a purchase, according to Assistant Town Clerk Corrin Julow.

Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders and his wife, Jane, eat at a diner in New Hampshire in February. File photo courtesy of Sanders campaign

Jane Sanders declined to comment to VTDigger about how much she received for her share of the Maine property and whether she and the senator used other funds — and if so, from what source — to finance the purchase. She also would not comment on public criticism of the couple for purchasing a half-million-dollar summer home after the senator frequently decried the gap between rich and poor as he campaigned for president.

Jane Sanders and Bernie Sanders’ spokesman Michael Briggs have said she did not receive any compensation in connection with her husband’s run for president. Federal Election Commission rules also prohibit any personal use of campaign funds. Any leftover campaign money can be used for another political campaign or to set up a political action committee, or be given to another candidate, a charity or a national party.

The North Hero home, north of the village with views east to Franklin County, is the third residence the Sanderses own. Their primary residence is in Burlington, and they have a home in Washington, D.C. The island property was originally listed for $659,000.

The couple reported a net worth of between $175,000 and $700,000 in 2015, according to Politico. In April of this year, Sen. Sanders said on the campaign trail that he was “one of the poorest members” of the Senate. In 2013, National Public Radio reported the couple had a net worth of $330,000.

In 2011, Jane Sanders received a $200,000 severance package when she resigned as president of Burlington College. The college closed this year in part because of debt incurred under her tenure when it purchased property owned by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Burlington.

In 2012, she spoke out publicly against a proposed recreation vehicle park near Long Lake in Maine. At the time, she said her family had owned their home there for 105 years across five generations, according to a report in the Bridgton News.

Jane Sanders’ oldest brother, Benedict Jr., is deceased. Another brother, Ned, is not listed as an owner of the Maine residence.

The North Hero property was purchased from W. Roger Sorg, a dentist from New Jersey, and Caroline Sorg. They owned the North Hero House, a hotel just down the road from their home, from 1969 to 1985. They now live in Florida, town records show.

On 8/10/2016 at 8:54 PM, Boered said:

Me too, but as soon as he sold out it was clear he is just another scam artist for sale to highest bidder.

Could be .  Could also be that the old man became worried about the health and well being of one of his family members ?   I wouldn't put it past that fucking insane cunt and her cohorts .

3 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Could be .  Could also be that the old man became worried about the health and well being of one of his family members ?   I wouldn't put it past that fucking insane cunt and her cohorts .

Ya, she would have perhaps had a large dangerous looking man meet him and advise him as to how to keep his family safe.

On August 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM, BOHICA said:

Think the number was $27 and don't buy it stayed the same the entire campaign :news: 

Hmmmmm?

No mortgage was recorded with the warranty deed, as would be done when a bank loan is involved in a purchase, according to Assistant Town Clerk Corrin Julow.

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Hmmmmm?

No mortgage was recorded with the warranty deed, as would be done when a bank loan is involved in a purchase, according to Assistant Town Clerk Corrin Julow.

Not much of a paper trail with this purchase.  Would he have bought this if he hadn't ran for POTUS? 

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Lots of questions and no answers from sanders.  Where did the money come from BERNIE?  Just happen to have 575k laying around?

You voted for him......remember..... :lol: when he was popular on the forum :lmao: