Check your account email address ×

Sanders buys third home. $600,000 summer home

• Platinum Contributing Member

:lmao:No wonder he likes big government so much.  He now owns homes in excess of $1,000,000.   Not bad for a guy who never really held a private sector job before.  

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/08/bernie-sanders-summer-house

Bernie Sanders now has one thing in common with the millionaires and billionaires and other 1 percenters he so frequently attacked on the campaign trail: he now owns his very own summer home.

Vermont magazine Seven Days reported Tuesday that the 74-year-old senator and his wife,Jane Sanders, have purchased a four-bedroom house on the shore of Lake Champlain for roughly $600,000. Jane told Seven Days that they had recently sold a house in Maine that had belonged to her family since the 1900s, and used the proceeds to purchase the new property, which is located in North Hero (population 803, as of the 2010 census). With this purchase, Sanders now owns at least three houses, theothers being in Burlington, VT, and Capitol Hill in D.C.

Sanders, an outspoken advocate for the working class who spent his 2016 presidential primary campaign railing against income inequality, remains one of the poorer members of Congress, and his net worth is among the lowest in the Senate. His 2014 tax returns revealed that he and Jane made $205,617 that year, the bulk of which came from Sanders’s $174,000 Senate salary. (Jane, who previously made about $160,000 a year as the president of Burlington College, retired in 2011.) Technically, Bernie’s salary places him in the top 4 percent of income earners, enough to purchase a nice lakefront retirement property with plenty leftover to buy “Feel the Bun” sandwiches from the local Hero’s Welcome General Store:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/290887-sanders-buys-nearly-600k-summer-home

Sen. Bernie Sanders

BERNIE SANDERS
Liberal groups to Clinton: Steer clear of Wall Street
Bloomberg poll: Clinton leads Trump by 6 points
Clinton Republicans are 2016 trend
MORE
 (I-Vt.) has purchased a nearly $600,000 summer retreat on Vermont’s Champlain Islands, the Vermont newspaper Seven Days reported Monday.

“We’ve traveled up to the islands many times over the years — almost always on day trips,” Jane Sanders, the former White House contender's wife, said in a statement. "The entire family is very excited about it.”

“We’ve always been impressed with the North Hero community, eaten at the North Hero House and Shore Acres and have suggested them to friends who were looking for a beautiful place to stay or have dinner. St. Anne’s Shrine in Isle La Motte is my favorite church and it is nearby.”
The Sanders’ new waterfront home has four bedrooms and 500 feet of Lake Champlain beachfront, Seven Days reported.

The town of North Hero has fewer than 1,000 residents, according to the 2010 U.S. Census.

The Sanders family also owns a row house on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and a house in Burlington, Vt..

The residence in Burlington is currently valued at $321,900, according to city property records.

Edited by Highmark

Here that kind of money will get you an average cottage on one of the 3 key Muskoka lakes. On our lake lots and I do mean lots top the $1M mark and some are over the $2M price tag and we aren't on the expensive lakes like Rosseau, Joseph or Muskoka

2 hours ago, Boered said:

How many of you guys own a cottage/camp? How many were left a home?

$174,000 a year

Bernie Sanders' net worth comes almost entirely from his 44 year career in politics. Sanders has been mayor of Burlington, Vermont. He has also held positions in the U.S. House of Representatives and as a United States Senator. As a senator since 2006, Sanders has earned a salary between$165,200 and $174,000 a year.

Why didn't he donate that money to send some kids to college?

Could of easily got the ball rolling for a Bernie Sanders scholarship fund.

Like some of those rich POS business owners he is always bitching  about.

How many illegals will he be taking in at camp Bernie?

I bet he will pay some Mexicans minimum wage to mow the lawn and bring him little umbrella daiquiris.

10 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Why didn't he donate that money to send some kids to college?

Could of easily got the ball rolling for a Bernie Sanders scholarship fund.

Like some of those rich POS business owners he is always bitching  about.

How many illegals will he be taking in at camp Bernie?

I bet he will pay some Mexicans minimum wage to mow the lawn and bring him little umbrella daiquiris.

Because he is the typical "do as I say, not as I do" liberal.  Look at how many times guys like mc talk about how they have stories about people who can't get voterid, but you don't see them taking the time to help these people out.

Just now, Wildcat said:

Its pretty good period... Dont care what anyone says. A LOT of people in this country dont even make half of that.

Absolutely, most people where I'm from don't make 1/4 of that.

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Absolutely, most people where I'm from don't make 1/4 of that.

And yet his net worth was 528,000, less that what he spent on this house....and he is 74 years old.

Edited by racer254

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

And yet his net worth was 528,000, less that what he spent on this house....and he is 74 years old.

They just sold another home. How much did they get for that?

I did find this so far.

Today, Sanders and his wife own two homes. They own a four-bedroom, 2.5-bath home in Chittenden County, Vermont, purchased in 2009 for $405,000. And they own a one-bedroom town house on Capitol Hill, purchased in 2007 for $488,999. They have two mortgages on the latter property totaling $464,550. We don’t know precisely how much debt remains on those mortgages, but there’s a good chance it’s significantly higher than $300,000.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/434194/bernie-sanders-tax-returns-reveal-hypocrisy

9 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

They just sold another home. How much did they get for that?

I just found it..i guess we are busted..lol.

Vermont magazine Seven Days reported Tuesday that the 74-year-old senator and his wife, Jane Sanders, have purchased a four-bedroom house on the shore of Lake Champlain for roughly $600,000. Jane told Seven Days that they had recently sold a house in Maine that had belonged to her family since the 1900s, and used the proceeds to purchase the new property, which is located in North Hero (population 803, as of the 2010 census). With this purchase, Sanders now owns at least three houses, the others being in Burlington, VT, and Capitol Hill in D.C.

Edited by Capt.Storm

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Hard to say.  There probably is a reason the details are hard to find. 

If you knew where the house was the details are available in the register and recorder of deeds office.

2 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

I just found it..i guess we are busted..lol.

Vermont magazine Seven Days reported Tuesday that the 74-year-old senator and his wife, Jane Sanders, have purchased a four-bedroom house on the shore of Lake Champlain for roughly $600,000. Jane told Seven Days that they had recently sold a house in Maine that had belonged to her family since the 1900s, and used the proceeds to purchase the new property, which is located in North Hero (population 803, as of the 2010 census). With this purchase, Sanders now owns at least three houses, the others being in Burlington, VT, and Capitol Hill in D.C.

I read that and did not make much of this purchase.

Just now, Capt.Storm said:

yeah..the story I posted doesn't say how much they got for it...i read it wrong.

Depends on the area I suppose, I can't believe how much homes are worth in some areas, a friend of mine sold his log home on a lake in my area for 750,000 when the market was down, 20 miles away the home would 11/2 million or more.