Check your account email address ×

What should be done about the opioid epidemic in America?

• Platinum Contributing Member

I've watched a number of documentaries on this and it really sickens me that more isn't being done.

While I'm the first to say people are responsible for their own actions but damn its high time major action is done.

Yes it starts with going after doctors over prescribing pain meds but it must include the influx of heroin into our country.   Make it legal or use the military to stop it.

We have to force Mexico into more action or I'd even support air strikes on poppy fields/cartel assets all over the country.  It might even take soldiers on the ground.   If terrorism was killing 60,000 American's every year we would be appalled and attack every country in the ME.   

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Just let the drugs do their thing 

Yeah part of me says stop administering Narcan and as they die off the problem goes away but that's ridiculous.   We have to stop the drugs coming in or it will only get worse and worse.  

Medicine has to change its paradigm. That is what kicked off this epidemic. Sadly, America has had a high rate of addiction throughout its short history. Opiates and opioids are giving way to crack and meth. Somewhat less destructive. Still, alcohol and tobacco far outstrip narcotics for their destructiveness. Hypocritical for sure. 

Just now, Highmark said:

Yeah part of me says stop administering Narcan and as they die off the problem goes away but that's ridiculous.   We have to stop the drugs coming in or it will only get worse and worse.  

That didn’t work in the “60’s “70’s or “80s. It won’t work now. 

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

sit your ass on a snowmobile site and act like a rw cunt...

Says the left wing hack cunt....maybe start some more anti Trump threads...seems to be  helping.

• Thanks 1

start by slamming the manufacturers and doctors who push the shit in communities, knowing full well where they're going. prescribe less and put patients back on the older ways of dealing with pain - whiskey and a chew stick. maybe change some ingredients to make them less potent and addictive. more counseling centers. more parents interacting with their kids and observing things. more health insurance to cover treatment....

Edited by Snoslinger

We should continue to apply all the failed policies we have used in the past on other drugs. :nea:

People want to be high and they will take the path of least resistant.   Locally, they are having to lock up anti- diarrhea medicine because people are taking it in mass doses to get high.

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

13 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That didn’t work in the “60’s “70’s or “80s. It won’t work now. 

Just now, Mainecat said:

In the 60 we all knew heroin was a killer. Those who abused it died....the end. That fact reduced the use.

Well....will it work or not?

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

We should continue to apply all the failed policies we have used in the past on other drugs. :nea:

People want to be high and they will take the path of least resistant.   Locally, they are having to lock up anti- diarrhea medicine because people are taking it in mass doses to get high.

well at least they won't shit themselves when they come down

• Haha 2

Just now, Snoslinger said:

that's not the answer MC and i'm surprise to read that from you. 

Haha...why are you surprised...he always says stupid shit but 99% of the time he's agreeing with you...what's that say about you? :lol:

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Haha...why are you surprised...he always says stupid shit but 99% of the time he's agreeing with you...what's that say about you? :lol:

it says that if i disagree with him about something i'll tell him. everyone says stupid shit at times, you especially :lol:

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The answer is remove corporate money from elections but that’s not gonna happen.

Well then, it's not a fucking solution then, is it?  This is why you people sound like idiots.

I read the obits and in every one he or she was wonderful. They loved their kids, parents, dog or cat. They were just starting to be someone.

if they loved all these people they wouldn’t have killed themselves. They would have kicked the drugs. 

Sorry guys many do kick the habit.

sorry I really feel for the ones they leave but it’s just basic choices you make.

30 minutes ago, Highmark said:

To think you will ever stop a commidty from the supply side is ridiculous. If you cant stop it from the demand side you cannot stop it. To try to do so is a waste of time and money. 

Don't ever try to teach a pig to sing. It will just frustrate you and it annoys the pig.

18 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

In the 60 we all knew heroin was a killer. Those who abused it died....the end. That fact reduced the use.

Its funny you mention that but I had a conversation with a landscape designer customer about that in the fall. His wife was given ops after a minor surgery. She was pissed because he took them away from her. His response. " I grew up in the drug culture , everyone knows , ya don't do fucking heroin"

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Its funny you mention that but I had a conversation with a landscape designer customer about that in the fall. His wife was given ops after a minor surgery. She was pissed because he took them away from her. His response. " I grew up in the drug culture , everyone knows , ya don't do fucking heroin"

Narcan is a crutch for abusers to continue