Check your account email address ×

Gun owner destroys his AR-15 after Florida shooting

• Platinum Contributing Member
19 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

.308 is where it's at!  :bc:

Neal

Meh....6.5 Creedmore.  

I might have a .50 Beowulf built for deer hunting.   Shot one a few times and damn they are nice.   That caliber is now legal for shotgun seasons in Iowa.   Right now I think only one company making them.  

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/50_Beowulf-Uppers.html

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

I was thinking about selling my 5.56 because it's kinda useless for anything but punching paper, but I'm probably just gonna keep it. 

How expensive would it be to build/buy an AR style 6.5 Creedmoor?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Very compared to the ar15 platform......ar10 stuff is double or more. Plan on $1000 for a low budget build 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

1000-1200 depending on barrel thickness and length, trigger, stock selection, etc. Going lightweight (>9# without optics) you can stay around 12-1300 with an 18-20" lightweight profile barrel, a lightweight aluminum or carbon fiber hand guard, and a nice trigger. I like the geissele 2 stage in my 308. 2# take up and 2.5# pull. Still safe for the woods, but nice and light for long shots.

I like buying them an couple pieces at a time. Makes it easier on the budget. I've built a couple now. I like buying the receivers first, aero precision usually has nice deals and really decent ar308 receivers. They use screws instead of pins so  assembly is super easy and you don't have to worry about fucking up your new parts hammering pins in. l get the stock and trigger parts next. Then the handguard. Barrel next, then bcg, gas block and tube. 

I always order a barrel with a matched bolt. That way you don't have to headspace it. I'd still have it checked by a good Smith before firing it, but they likely won't need to lap your bolt to your chamber. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Very compared to the ar15 platform......ar10 stuff is double or more. Plan on $1000 for a low budget build 

Yup, and I'd probably just spend an extra couple hundred on a good trigger. Probably plan on 3-400 for a decent scope, too. 

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

Meh....6.5 Creedmore.  

I might have a .50 Beowulf built for deer hunting.   Shot one a few times and damn they are nice.   That caliber is now legal for shotgun seasons in Iowa.   Right now I think only one company making them.  

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/50_Beowulf-Uppers.html

I'm going 300 blackout silenced next I think.  Going for soft and supple.

Neal

5 hours ago, dz246 said:

Barrel, gas tube, and a hanguard, its back in business...... Really destroyed it :lol:

It’s been reported that he later cut through the receiver too.  Still not proper disposal procedure though. You’re supposed to cut it at an angle with a torch or smash it or melt it.

7 hours ago, motonoggin said:

1000-1200 depending on barrel thickness and length, trigger, stock selection, etc. Going lightweight (>9# without optics) you can stay around 12-1300 with an 18-20" lightweight profile barrel, a lightweight aluminum or carbon fiber hand guard, and a nice trigger. I like the geissele 2 stage in my 308. 2# take up and 2.5# pull. Still safe for the woods, but nice and light for long shots.

I like buying them an couple pieces at a time. Makes it easier on the budget. I've built a couple now. I like buying the receivers first, aero precision usually has nice deals and really decent ar308 receivers. They use screws instead of pins so  assembly is super easy and you don't have to worry about fucking up your new parts hammering pins in. l get the stock and trigger parts next. Then the handguard. Barrel next, then bcg, gas block and tube. 

I always order a barrel with a matched bolt. That way you don't have to headspace it. I'd still have it checked by a good Smith before firing it, but they likely won't need to lap your bolt to your chamber. 

Yup, and I'd probably just spend an extra couple hundred on a good trigger. Probably plan on 3-400 for a decent scope, too. 

Ever build one on a 25-06 Remington?

7 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Ever build one on a 25-06 Remington?

No. Is that still a short action caliber? Anything that uses a 308 based cartridge can be used in an AR308 platform. Anything longer goes up to the .300 Winchester cart length. 

10 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I'm going 300 blackout silenced next I think.  Going for soft and supple.

Neal

Really good choice. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

No. Is that still a short action caliber? Anything that uses a 308 based cartridge can be used in an AR308 platform. Anything longer goes up to the .300 Winchester cart length. 

I haven’t gone through all the info you sent me but you built a .223 correct?

49 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Its basicly a necked down 30-06

11 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

.300 mag > .308

Sure if you're hunting buffalo, but you can't build your own on an AR platform. Nemo and a couple other companies make gas operated semi auto 300wins though. They're badass but don't tickle my build compulsion.

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Its basicly a necked down 30-06

Yeah, that's too long of a cartridge for an AR308 platform.