Check your account email address ×

Spending

Spending   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s for cutting military spending?

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The fact of the matter is that there isn't a enough revenue to cover the spending, now we're borrowing much heavier and we know that causes interest rates to rise and then markets get restless and we shed 1,000 points in two days.................. 

More than just that cause interest to rise.   I just don't like tax policy being used as a method to cool off or slow the economy.  

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Hey mouthbreather what do you think about government borrowing almost doubling since last year? So you say cut, give us a list of $1 trillion in cuts that we should enact right now :news: 

I think it sucks you dumbass, I’ve been advocating cutting spending for years but libs like you can’t even think about cutting African dick washing or studies to find out why lesbians are fat , :finger:

cut a trillion? I can’t even get a liberals like Toolkit and you to even admit that Swedish massage  for rabbits is not an essential program   :lol:

Edited by Sleepr2

1. The federal government made at least $72 billion in improper payments in 2008.[1]
  2. Washington spends $92 billion on corporate welfare (excluding TARP) versus $71 billion on homeland security.[2]
  3. Washington spends $25 billion annually maintaining unused or vacant federal properties.[3]
  4. Government auditors spent the past five years examining all federal programs and found that 22 percent of them -- costing taxpayers a total of $123 billion annually -- fail to show any positive impact on the populations they serve.[4]
  5. The Congressional Budget Office published a "Budget Options" series identifying more than $100 billion in potential spending cuts.[5]
  6. Examples from multiple Government Accountability Office (GAO) reports of wasteful duplication include 342 economic development programs; 130 programs serving the disabled; 130programs serving at-risk youth; 90 early childhood development programs; 75 programs funding international education, cultural, and training exchange activities; and 72 safe water programs.[6]
  7. Washington will spend $2.6 million training Chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly on the job.[7]
  8. A GAO audit classified nearly half of all purchases on government credit cards as improper, fraudulent, or embezzled. Examples of taxpayer-funded purchases include gambling, mortgage payments, liquor, lingerie, iPods, Xboxes, jewelry, Internet dating services, and Hawaiian vacations. In one extraordinary example, the Postal Service spent $13,500 on one dinner at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, including "over 200 appetizers and over $3,000 of alcohol, including more than 40 bottles of wine costing more than $50 each and brand-name liquor such as Courvoisier, Belvedere and Johnny Walker Gold." The 81 guests consumed an average of $167 worth of food and drink apiece.[8]
  9. Federal agencies are delinquent on nearly 20 percent of employee travel charge cards, costing taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars annually.[9]
  10. The Securities and Exchange Commission spent $3.9 millionrearranging desks and offices at its Washington, D.C., headquarters.[10]
  11. The Pentagon recently spent $998,798 shipping two 19-cent washers from South Carolina to Texas and $293,451 sending an 89-cent washer from South Carolina to Florida.[11]
  12. Over half of all farm subsidies go to commercial farms, which report average household incomes of $200,000.[12]
  13. Health care fraud is estimated to cost taxpayers more than $60 billion annually.[13]
  14. A GAO audit found that 95 Pentagon weapons systems suffered from a combined $295 billion in cost overruns.[14]
  15. The refusal of many federal employees to fly coach costs taxpayers $146 million annually in flight upgrades.[15]
  16. Washington will spend $126 million in 2009 to enhance the Kennedy family legacy in Massachusetts. Additionally, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) diverted $20 million from the 2010 defense budget to subsidize a new Edward M. Kennedy Institute.[16]
  17. Federal investigators have launched more than 20 criminal fraud investigations related to the TARP financial bailout.[17]
  18. Despite trillion-dollar deficits, last year's 10,160 earmarks included $200,000 for a tattoo removal program in Mission Hills, California; $190,000 for the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming; and $75,000 for the Totally Teen Zone in Albany, Georgia.[18]
  19. The federal government owns more than 50,000 vacant homes.[19]
  20. The Federal Communications Commission spent $350,000 to sponsor NASCAR driver David Gilliland.[20]
  21. Members of Congress have spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars supplying their offices with popcorn machines, plasma televisions, DVD equipment, ionic air fresheners, camcorders, and signature machines -- plus $24,730 leasing a Lexus, $1,434 on a digital camera, and $84,000 on personalized calendars.[21]
  22. More than $13 billion in Iraq aid has been classified as wasted or stolen. Another $7.8 billion cannot be accounted for.[22]
  23. Fraud related to Hurricane Katrina spending is estimated to top $2 billion. In addition, debit cards provided to hurricane victims were used to pay for Caribbean vacations, NFL tickets, Dom Perignon champagne, "Girls Gone Wild" videos, and at least one sex change operation.[23]
  24. Auditors discovered that 900,000 of the 2.5 million recipients of emergency Katrina assistance provided false names, addresses, or Social Security numbers or submitted multiple applications.[24]
  25. Congress recently gave Alaska Airlines $500,000 to paint a Chinook salmon on a Boeing 737.[25]
  26. The Transportation Department will subsidize up to $2,000 per flight for direct flights between Washington, D.C., and the small hometown of Congressman Hal Rogers (R-KY) -- but only on Monday mornings and Friday evenings, when lawmakers, staff, and lobbyists usually fly. Rogers is a member of the Appropriations Committee, which writes the Transportation Department's budget.[26]
  27. Washington has spent $3 billion re-sanding beaches -- even as this new sand washes back into the ocean.[27]
  28. A Department of Agriculture report concedes that much of the $2.5 billion in "stimulus" funding for broadband Internet will be wasted.[28]
  29. The Defense Department wasted $100 million on unused flight tickets and never bothered to collect refunds even though the tickets were refundable.[29]
  30. Washington spends $60,000 per hour shooting Air Force One photo-ops in front of national landmarks.[30]
  31. Over one recent 18-month period, Air Force and Navy personnel used government-funded credit cards to charge at least $102,400 on admission to entertainment events, $48,250 on gambling, $69,300 on cruises, and $73,950 on exotic dance clubs and prostitutes.[31]
  32. Members of Congress are set to pay themselves $90 million to increase their franked mailings for the 2010 election year.[32]
  33. Congress has ignored efficiency recommendations from the Department of Health and Human Services that would save $9 billion annually.[33]
  34. Taxpayers are funding paintings of high-ranking government officials at a cost of up to $50,000 apiece.[34]
  35. The state of Washington sent $1 food stamp checks to 250,000 households in order to raise state caseload figures and trigger $43 million in additional federal funds.[35]
  36. Suburban families are receiving large farm subsidies for the grass in their backyards -- subsidies that many of these families never requested and do not want. [36]
  37. Congress appropriated $20 million for "commemoration of success" celebrations related to Iraq and Afghanistan.[37]
  38. Homeland Security employee purchases include 63-inch plasma TVs, iPods, and $230 for a beer brewing kit.[38]
  39. Two drafting errors in the 2005 Deficit Reduction Act resulted in a $2 billion taxpayer cost.[39]
  40. North Ridgeville, Ohio, received $800,000 in "stimulus" funds for a project that its mayor described as "a long way from the top priority."[40]
  41. The National Institutes of Health spends $1.3 million per month to rent a lab that it cannot use.[41]
  42. Congress recently spent $2.4 billion on 10 new jets that the Pentagon insists it does not need and will not use.[42]
  43. Lawmakers diverted $13 million from Hurricane Katrina relief spending to build a museum celebrating the Army Corps of Engineers -- the agency partially responsible for the failed levees that flooded New Orleans.[43]
  44. Medicare officials recently mailed $50 million in erroneous refunds to 230,000 Medicare recipients.[44]
  45. Audits showed $34 billion worth of Department of Homeland Security contracts contained significant waste, fraud, and abuse.[45]
  46. Washington recently spent $1.8 million to help build a private golf course in Atlanta, Georgia.[46]
  47. The Advanced Technology Program spends $150 million annually subsidizing private businesses; 40 percent of this funding goes to Fortune 500 companies.[47]
  48. Congressional investigators were able to receive $55,000 in federal student loan funding for a fictional college they created to test the Department of Education.[48]
  49. The Conservation Reserve program pays farmers $2 billionannually not to farm their land.[49]
  50. The Commerce Department has lost 1,137 computers since 2001, many containing Americans' personal data.[50]

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Washington will spend $2.6 million training Chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly on the job

Well do you want drunk Chinese whores running around ?

We can’t cut that program , think of all the lost jobs for liberal government workers neede to push the paperwork.

13 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Issue with an immediate cut like farmer proposed is that such a cut would ripple through the economy creating a recession as the mic is so ingrained into the fabric of America. The last few years with close to full employment would be the time to start cutting back by maybe 5 percent a year with the eventual goal of being 25 percent less over a 7 to 10 year window and maybe @ third less over a 15 year window. 

Absolutely, but throw out a half insane number (say 33%), let people piss and moan about it and come back and say we can cut say 7%.  Well, 7% is bigger cut the 0%.

16 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

The CATO Institute used percentages, broken down to annual averages in their study to see how Obama stacked up to his predecessors.  And in case you are unfamiliar with them, they are not a liberal group.  As an interesting side note, they also show a second chart, with defense spending subtracted.

CATO

Is CATO being intellectually dishonest here in an attempt to portray Obama in the best light possible?

LOL  Yeah, Obama was 1.3% higher than Bush, who was 4.6% higher than Clinton, who was 1.5% higher than ......Add them up.  They haven't gone down in 50 years.   We have a spending problem.

16 hours ago, Highmark said:

More than just that cause interest to rise.   I just don't like tax policy being used as a method to cool off or slow the economy.  

And now we can't even use a tax cut to revive the economy in the event of a recession, of course I'm happy to see my corporate tax cut from 35% to 21% but then the fiscally responsible side of my brain says we have a huge debt problem and I know cutting taxes and borrowing isn't the way to fix it, oh and the honest eye also can see there isn't enough spending cuts to get there either.

23 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

And now we can't even use a tax cut to revive the economy in the event of a recession, of course I'm happy to see my corporate tax cut from 35% to 21% but then the fiscally responsible side of my brain says we have a huge debt problem and I know cutting taxes and borrowing isn't the way to fix it, oh and the honest eye also can see there isn't enough spending cuts to get there either.

Yeah. I think most responsible people could handle waiting until the deficit is under control before a tax cut. What happened to rewards for good work. Cut the tax after they get spending under control. Instead Trump puts his buddies in power and they give themselves a payday before they’ve done anything. 

18 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Dump and the Repugs tax cuts and increased spending is a proven formula for economic disaster.  

Bush increasing spending and giving a tax cut worked fine didn’t it?  Cough cough 2008

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

:lol:   Again more with the idea that taxes/revenue are statically linked to rates.   

That's like Coke saying I currently sell 1 billion bottles of pop a  year for $1 each.   If I cut my price to $.90 a bottle I still will only sell 1 billion bottles instead of seeing any increase because the drop in price.

Oh and why can't we cut taxes more in case of a recession?  

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol:   Again more with the idea that taxes/revenue are statically linked to rates.   

That's like Coke saying I currently sell 1 billion bottles of pop a  year for $1 each.   If I cut my price to $.90 a bottle I still will only sell 1 billion bottles instead of seeing any increase because the drop in price.

Obama taught many of us a lot.  And sadly, many others just believed what they were told.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Where do you from 21%, at what point does the military, security, infrastructure, social safety nets, etc. just completely fucking implode?

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Where do you from 21%, at what point does the military, security, infrastructure, social safety nets, etc. just completely fucking implode?

Before the tax cuts only about $350 billion in tax revenue came from Corp (ccorp) taxes.   That's about 10% of the fed tax revenue collected.   Don't make that tax reduction out to more than it is or more so don't make corp taxes in general out to more than it is.

The static calculations on the tax cuts were around $1.3 trillion over 10 years Vince.   $130 billion per year.   You guys are acting as if it cut revenue by 50% or something.  :lol:   

$130 billion is less than 4% of the tax revenue collected by the federal govt.   There is plenty room left for more cuts for growth.  

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Before the tax cuts only about $350 billion in tax revenue came from Corp (ccorp) taxes.   That's about 10% of the fed tax revenue collected.   Don't make that tax reduction out to more than it is or more so don't make corp taxes in general out to more than it is.

The static calculations on the tax cuts were around $1.3 trillion over 10 years Vince.   $130 billion per year.   You guys are acting as if it cut revenue by 50% or something.  :lol:   

$130 billion is less than 4% of the tax revenue collected by the federal govt.   There is plenty room left for more cuts for growth.  

$1 trillion dollars deficit and all spending is going up. That stuff never goes back down. So we can expect larger deficits each year. And of course you and the neocons are ok with revenue cuts, now. When do we say enough is enough?

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

$1 trillion dollars deficit and all spending is going up. That stuff never goes back down. So we can expect larger deficits each year. And of course you and the neocons are ok with revenue cuts, now. When do we say enough is enough?

SMH.   Tax cuts don't mean loss in revenue.   I mean beyond the typical political talking points why is that a difficult concept to understand?

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

SMH.   Tax cuts don't mean loss in revenue.   I mean beyond the typical political talking points why is that a difficult concept to understand?

ONE TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT!!!!!

Just now, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

ONE TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT!!!!!

Now it matters.  For 8 years Obama was running up more than a trillion a year on average and you sucked his dick daily.  :lol:  

Just now, Highmark said:

Now it matters.  For 8 years Obama was running up more than a trillion a year on average and you sucked his dick daily.  :lol:  

Nope, you never saw me endorse any deficits, ever. 

Let’s hear it from the ‘conservstives’ :lmao: :backpeddle::backpeddle::backpeddle::lmao:

What we know about what's in the deal

• Short-term funding bill to March 23
  • Agreement to increase the budget caps -- and significantly increase spending -- by roughly $300 billion over the next two years, split between defense and non-defense domestic spending ($80 billion or so per year on the defense side, $64 billion or so per year on non-defense) 
  • Disaster relief package 
  • Raise the debt ceiling to a level that puts it beyond the midterm election -- the specifics of this still appear up in the air, but Senate leaders expect a deal of around a year, or having the limit raised until March 2019.
  • Funds community health centers for two years and includes several other health care extenders and spending provisions.

Cut taxes and increase spending :lmao: 

Crazy to think about: The era of fiscal responsibility as a driving force behind any budget agreement has all but fallen by the wayside. This does away with not just the sequester, but also rolls back the limits imposed by the Budget Control Act. And there are no significant commiserate spending cuts in sight. That's quite a thing for anyone who has covered the spending wars of the Obama administration.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/government-shutdown-deal-spending-caps-debt-ceiling/index.html

On 2/6/2018 at 1:42 PM, Highmark said:

Hey fuckhead - it kept us from a depression - deficits are required and expected given the economic mess he inherited. Now look at your fucking party spend like drunken sailors while cutting taxes......stupid and irresponsible - we have seen this before....

Edited by SnowRider
  • Thanks 1

The bill only funds the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees most immigration policy, until February. But negotiators gave new money for immigration programs at other federal agencies. There's $948 million for the Department of Health and Human Service's unaccompanied children program -- an $80 million increase. The program provides health and education services to the young migrants. The department also gets $14 million to help school districts absorbing new immigrant students. And the State Department would get $260 million to assist Central American countries from where of the immigrant children are coming.