Check your account email address ×

The best part of the tax bill!

I’d move if I had to pay more than 10k a year in real estate taxes. There’s a whole bunch of them in some of the neighborhoods around here. Fuck that. 

Just now, Edmo said:

I’d move if I had to pay more than 10k a year in real estate taxes. There’s a whole bunch of them in some of the neighborhoods around here. Fuck that. 

ah it's relative,  i live in a state with no income tax so a 10k property tax bills not that bad.  Tons of americans SALT bills are way over 10 grand between property and income taxes

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

Where you live you have to be close. Thats one of the reasons we ended up in Indiana. When we were buying the market was peaked and RE taxes were assessed at a percentage of sale price. Most of the RE taxes on the houses we were looking at in Illinois were well over $10k. And they are building 1,000's of new homes all around me now, guess where the buyers are coming from? Not that I like all of these new neighbors. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Edmo said:

My wifes brothers, sisters and parents are all over the West and NW burbs of Chicago.  They are starting to whine about all the taxes they have to pay.  Between property, and sales tax they are way beyond 10k per year on modest middle class incomes.  

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Where you live you have to be close. Thats one of the reasons we ended up in Indiana. When we were buying the market was peaked and RE taxes were assessed at a percentage of sale price. Most of the RE taxes on the houses we were looking at in Illinois were well over $10k. And they are building 1,000's of new homes all around me now, guess where the buyers are coming from? Not that I like all of these new neighbors. :lol: 

I’m close but I dont have the big house. Every time we’ve looked at upgrading it all looks good until you look at the taxes. D’oh.

Just now, Edmo said:

I’m close but I dont have the big house. Every time we’ve looked at upgrading it all looks good until you look at the taxes. D’oh.

Yeah its stupid. Will county is worse. A couple of my employees are paying over $10k and they complain about it all of the time. Its a problem when you are trying to sell also. My taxes are like half and I have more house and yard. Im almost glad to pay them after hearing about some of these other tax bills. One guy I used to work with is paying over $20k on his. He cant sell it. 

5 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

You're gonna start seeing a lot more now.  You values are going to start to skyrocket.

Ahhhh...to live in the outskirts of a "sactuary city".  Bliss.  ....as the rest of the state subsidises these shitholes.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, Edmo said:

If my state income taxes were high I simply wouldn't have built the house I did in a high PT state.  

5 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Yeah its stupid. Will county is worse. A couple of my employees are paying over $10k and they complain about it all of the time. Its a problem when you are trying to sell also. My taxes are like half and I have more house and yard. Im almost glad to pay them after hearing about some of these other tax bills. One guy I used to work with is paying over $20k on his. He cant sell it. 

I'm very fortunate to have an extremely nice house, 54 x 70 steel building, nice cabin and 230 acres of which 70 is crop and I sill don't pay $8000 a year in property taxes.  Don't get me wrong I think that much is way too much but in some places I'd be paying $20k for the house alone.  

My guess is Florida and Arizona real estate is gonna get a boost from this as some may establish full time residency there from Ca and Ny.  

Edited by Highmark

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

ah it's relative,  i live in a state with no income tax so a 10k property tax bills not that bad.  Tons of americans SALT bills are way over 10 grand between property and income taxes

What are yours at? Mine just went up $300 to $7k. 

15 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

What are yours at? Mine just went up $300 to $7k. 

right about 9 grand.  mill rate went down values went up this year.  I'e got 18 months before my kids are both out of hs then i will look to move if i can get the wife onboard as I don't need 4000sf for the 2 of us,

We had been toying with Monroe for retirement because its around $7.50 per. Don't know much about the place. Obviously if I drive up there and its all prius's and Subaru's I wouldn't even stay long enough to buy a coffee.

The north side of winni isn't bad either.

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

right about 9 grand.  mill rate went down values went up this year.  I'e got 18 months before my kids are both out of hs then i will look to move if i can get the wife onboard as I don't need 4000sf for the 2 of us,

What is the average mill rate for your area.  I know it may vary depending on amenities but the average for your general area.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

What is the average mill rate for your area.  I know it may vary depending on amenities but the average for your general area.  

https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/municipal/documents/17-final-rates.pdf

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

i would guess average is low 20's.  my towns about $17 per thousand and we have full services. 

23 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i would guess average is low 20's.  my towns about $17 per thousand and we have full services. 

Average mill rate for Anchorage is about $15.  It's a small city of about 350,000.  

Wasilla mill rate base is $9.9 In some areas the mill rate is a little higher.  I think mine are $13.9.  

Property values here are fairly reasonable for what we get in return. I nice 10 year old home is valued between $100 and $120 per sqft. Older homes that are well maintained may be worth $80/sqft.  Brand new spec houses are worth $150/sqft. Brand new custom homes maybe $200/sqft.  

The average person in a modest home around here pays between $3000 and $4000 per year in property taxes.  No state sales or income taxes here though.  Some small towns have sales taxes of 2 or 3%.  Anchorage has no sales taxes.  Inside the Wasilla city limits the sales taxes is 2 or 3% I forget which.  

48 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

that's close to what we pay. Christ when we lived in VA 15 years ago our yearly tax bill as about $1200.

Edited by Snoslinger

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

A big :finger: to the NE rich elitist snobs in New York City and the ultra liberal rich greenies in CA.  :lol:  

it's super easy to Be a liberal and call for high taxes when you are getting subsidized by the other states