Check your account email address ×

WW2 Witness To War...Nuclear Bombing of Japan

• Platinum Contributing Member

So I'm watching this right now and sickened and saddened by the devestation and horrific effects on the civilian population and it makes me wonder how somebody like MC can still hold a grudge against these people over the attack on Pearl Harbor.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So I'm watching this right now and sickened and saddened by the devestation and horrific effects on the civilian population and it makes me wonder how somebody like MC can still hold a grudge against these people over the attack on Pearl Harbor.

in a way yes but don't start shit if you don't want to dance . ever talk to a old timer who made it through one of there POW camps? ruthless little fucks to say the least    

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

in a way yes but don't start shit if you don't want to dance . ever talk to a old timer who made it through one of there POW camps? ruthless little fucks to say the least    

When an entire country has to be threatened with the realty of atomic extinction before they whole heartedly agree to unconditional surrender.  Yeah, that’s a tough code they lived by.  Admirable too.  But I don’t feel sorry for the bombs one bit.  That’s how wars end swiftly if not delicately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

It' reality. It sucks. It's war. I'm sure no Americans ever tortured any pows.

Japan was forced into WW2. Why do you think those American war ships were staged in pearl harbor? And those weren't civilian targets they hit, those were military targets. 

We dropped those bombs because Japan was eating our lunch in the south Pacific. 

The Japanese were some ruthless motherfuckers. The Chinese still hate the Japanese for what they did to them. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Japan was forced into WW2. Why do you think those American war ships were staged in pearl harbor? And those weren't civilian targets they hit, those were military targets. 

The Japanese were some ruthless motherfuckers. The Chinese still hate the Japanese for what they did to them. 

Exactly and throw in our firebombing campaign that killed and maimed hundreds of thousands of civilians and destroyed cities..my question here is why does a guy like MC who has never fought anything other than a case of hemmorhoids still hold a grudge after all this time?  Also I understand the tenacity of The Japanese leadership but the shit we did to their civilian population makes Isis look like girl scouts.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Exactly and throw in our firebombing campaign that killed and maimed hundreds of thousands of civilians and destroyed cities..my question here is why does a guy like MC who has never fought anything other than a case of hemmorhoids still hold a grudge after all this time?  Also I understand the tenacity of The Japanese leadership but the shit we did to their civilian population makes Isis look like girl scouts.

Everything was at stake in WW2 so everything was on the table. 60 million people were killed in WW2. Think about that. 

7 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Particularly as the war was coming to an end.

22 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Everything was at stake in WW2 so everything was on the table. 60 million people were killed in WW2. Think about that. 

The numbers are unimaginable especially in a day when a handful of casualties (rightfully so) is huge news. Also the brainwashing of the Japanese People in thinking that The Americans were evil incarnate and going to eat them alive to the point that they were hurling themselves and their children off of cliffs rather than fall into our hands.....wild stuff.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 hour ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

They weren't "forced" into anything by other than theirown poor plainning for future resources in the wars 100 years prior.  It had them scrambling to try and be a world power like a little brother nobody was paying attention to.  All that "warring" and they never thought to try and claim any land for NRs or couldn't hold it in the name of the Emperor all together.  Outnumbered, outmatched and outsmarted by their own arrogance cost them dearly.  Why they called off the third wave of attacks at Pearl Harbor is astonishing.  It's still thought of as one of the greatest military blunders of all time.  I don't necessarily think it would have changed the ending but it sure as hell would have given them a lot more breathing room.  It's weird considering their attitude at the time.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

They weren't "forced" into anything by other than theirown poor plainning for future resources in the wars 100 years prior.  It had them scrambling to try and be a world power like a little brother nobody was paying attention to.  All that "warring" and they never thought to try and claim any land for NRs or couldn't hold it in the name of the Emperor all together.  Outnumbered, outmatched and outsmarted by their own arrogance cost them dearly.  Why they called off the third wave of attacks at Pearl Harbor is astonishing.  It's still thought of as one of the greatest military blunders of all time.  I don't necessarily think it would have changed the ending but it sure as hell would have given them a lot more breathing room.  It's weird considering their attitude at the time.  

In the game of global domination Japan just wasn't positioned to be the winner. Germany was IMO and that's why the world focused on them. The Japs were brilliant engineers (still are) and were definitely a force tho. 

7 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

In the game of global domination Japan just wasn't positioned to be the winner. Germany was IMO and that's why the world focused on them. The Japs were brilliant engineers (still are) and were definitely a force tho. 

Yeah, Japan just wasn't very smart when you look at their war plans leading up to WW2.  Kinda weirdly so.  All wrapped up in their own culture and the past, they were left behind in the industrial revolution and were forced to play catch-up...unsuccesfully.  Whew...but look at them now!  Dayam.

And for sure, if Hitler would have listened to his generals, Germany's land mass would be UUUUGGE right now.  Lot's of evidence now is pointing to Hitler's mental health being one of drug induced delusions, even before WW2.  Still, Germany's war complex, planning and execution were impressive....even by today's standards.  

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

My dad's cousin whom I called my Uncle survived the Bataan Death march, he talked about it seldomly but told me when I was young if I ever bought a Japanese car he would personally cut my f-cking throat. When we were kids Japanese toys were beginning to be for sale in stores, my mom and dad would look where the stuff was made and if it stated Japan they wouldn't buy it, same with anything else for sale. I was born in 1947.

2 hours ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

SMH sure they were-  we had only captured almost every island chain leading to Japan from Guadalcanal in 1943 to Okinawa June of 1945.  

We made the right decision to nuke them,  it was clear after all the other campaigns what the Japanese would due to protect territory so the net cost of the deaths at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were far less than the military and civilians lives that would have been lost by advancing.  Look at the # of lives lost in Okinawa alone where somewhere around 1/3 of the civilians and 100k Japanese soldiers were killed.  The Japanese were evil little bastards during WW2 so we should have zero guilt over any of them dying by fire or nukes.  

america-enters-world-war-ii-8-728.jpg?cb

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

My dad's cousin whom I called my Uncle survived the Bataan Death march, he talked about it seldomly but told me when I was young if I ever bought a Japanese car he would personally cut my f-cking throat. When we were kids Japanese toys were beginning to be for sale in stores, my mom and dad would look where the stuff was made and if it stated Japan they wouldn't buy it, same with anything else for sale. I was born in 1947.

that i can understand,  my grandfather would never buy german vehicles as he spent the last few months fo the war in a German POW camp which was better than how the japanese treated prisoners.  Not sure what MC's background is when it comes to that and why he's such a hater,  doesn't stop him from buying japanese products like his cats though 

11 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

SMH sure they were-  we had only captured almost every island chain leading to Japan from Guadalcanal in 1943 to Okinawa June of 1945.  

We made the right decision to nuke them,  it was clear after all the other campaigns what the Japanese would due to protect territory so the net cost of the deaths at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were far less than the military and civilians lives that would have been lost by advancing.  Look at the # of lives lost in Okinawa alone where somewhere around 1/3 of the civilians and 100k Japanese soldiers were killed.  The Japanese were evil little bastards during WW2 so we should have zero guilt over any of them dying by fire or nukes.  

america-enters-world-war-ii-8-728.jpg?cb

Oh then we probably didn't need to nuke those cities then... SMH...

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

that i can understand,  my grandfather would never buy german vehicles as he spent the last few months fo the war in a German POW camp which was better than how the japanese treated prisoners.  Not sure what MC's background is when it comes to that and why he's such a hater,  doesn't stop him from buying japanese products like his cats though 

It must have sucked bad for your Grandfather to be locked up not knowing what would happen next.

My Uncle told us kids with tears in his eyes how the Japs or Nips as he called them, would run over or Bayonet anyone who would fall down while on the Death March and if anyone helped the downed GI they would be killed too, after hearing all of that it took me years to not hate the Japs myself..I wanted them all dead.

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

It must have sucked bad for your Grandfather to be locked up not knowing what would happen next.

My Uncle told us kids with tears in his eyes how the Japs or Nips as he called them, would run over or Bayonet anyone who would fall down while on the Death March and if anyone helped the downed GI they would be killed too, after hearing all of that it took me years to not hate the Japs myself..I wanted them all dead.

My grandfather was in the south Pacific too. He hated those fuckers. 

Funny tho, when I was in my early 20's the wife and I bought a Honda and I thought he would be pissed. He said, "hey I heard those are great cars, Bob works at the dealership and he says they almost never have any problems" I was shocked. Times change and people change. 

8 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Oh then we probably didn't need to nuke those cities then... SMH...

i have no problem with killing a million Japanese with Nukes to save what prob would have been 200k + allied troops.  Net loss of Japanese life was prob less overall doing it that way as well as no allied casualties

9 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

he was wounded and captured in the ardennes during the battle of the bulge.  His division shortly after was one of the first to cross the Rhine at Remagan.   Later on he became president of the division association and it was very cool to spend time with him visiting his buddies on road trips that he had since the 40's.  Just wish he was alive to take him to the WW2 memorial when it opened  as he took me on too many great adventures when i was a kid.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Funny tho, when I was in my early 20's the wife and I bought a Honda and I thought he would be pissed. He said, "hey I heard those are great cars, Bob works at the dealership and he says they almost never have any problems" I was shocked. Times change and people change. 

My uncle had passed some years ago, worked at Miller Brewery in Milwaukee, as far as I know he never forgave the Japs because of what he  went through and witnessed.

Edited by XCR1250

14 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i have no problem with killing a million Japanese with Nukes to save what prob would have been 200k + allied troops.  Net loss of Japanese life was prob less overall doing it that way as well as no allied casualties

he was wounded and captured in the ardennes during the battle of the bulge.  His division shortly after was one of the first to cross the Rhine at Remagan.   Later on he became president of the division association and it was very cool to spend time with him visiting his buddies on road trips that he had since the 40's.  Just wish he was alive to take him to the WW2 memorial when it opened  as he took me on too many great adventures when i was a kid.  

One of my neighbors where I used to live and a relative through marriage, was in Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41, some years back a Veterans group paid for a return trip to Pearl for himself and others who were there that day, he talked about that trip for many years. I last saw him at my oldest daughters funeral, he was in a wheel chair then and has since passed. Wayne Sorenson was his name.

53 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Hey MC....read this^^^^^^