Check your account email address ×

Question for the people that think the MW should be increased.

• Platinum Contributing Member

How should it be handled for the people already earning above MW.   If it goes up 100% over say a 5 year period (which is what is being suggested) should someone currently earning $15.00 be at $30.00 or should they only go up the exact dollar amount the MW went up?

At what wage/salary point do you say that's enough you don't get a raise, I don't care if you have more education and time in with the company?  

Honest question that never seems to be answered by those that think the MW should be moved from current to $15.00 hr.

Just now, spin_dry said:

$10-11 per hour seems fair to me. 

Doesn't change the question.   What do those currently making $10-$11 go to considering those who were at MW just got a 51.7% raise?

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

all wages stay the same. the system will begin to self correct within a short time. i don't see an issue. 

I will agree there are so few at current MW a raise to $10-11 won't cause an huge issue.   I disagree a raise in a few years to $15 wouldn't if it was federally mandated.   Some small communities would struggle paying some jobs that much and the domino effect would be more prevelant.  

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

Wages above min would be up to the employer.  What kind of question is this?

Simple one for anyone with common sense.   If a guy is all of the sudden making the same as someone who was previously under them regarding pay (seniority, skills whatever) they are going to be wanting a raise.   The person who worked 3 years to get to $15 now makes exactly the same as the person who just started and maybe doesn't have their level of qualifications.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Simple one for anyone with common sense.   If a guy is all of the sudden making the same as someone who was previously under them regarding pay (seniority, skills whatever) they are going to be wanting a raise.   The person who worked 3 years to get to $15 now makes exactly the same as the person who just started and maybe doesn't have their level of qualifications.  

Okay.....and.....?

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Okay.....and.....?

AND???

Why stick around when you can go anywhere else and make exactly what you were making especially since your current employer isn't going to pay you any more than a starter.

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

Okay.....and.....?

What would you do personally if you were the guy all of a sudden making the same as someone who just started?

The point is a MW raise to a certain level is a feelgood political move without addressing the consequences of how business' in the real world would have to deal with it.

A large % of Union contracts in the US are tied to the federal MW and don't think they are the only ones to be going for a raise of equal proportions.  

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

AND???

Why stick around when you can go anywhere else and make exactly what you were making especially since your current employer isn't going to pay you any more than a starter.

"Wages above min would be up to the employer"

Read the posts before replying stupid.

Just now, Highmark said:

What would you do personally if you were the guy all of a sudden making the same as someone who just started?

The point is a MW raise to a certain level is a feelgood political move without addressing the consequences of how business' in the real world would have to deal with it.

A large % of Union contracts in the US are tied to the federal MW and don't think they are the only ones to be going for a raise of equal proportions.  

This

Just now, Highmark said:

I haven't heard of a jurisdiction that went from $7.xx to $15 in one jump.  They increase in smaller increments over several years, so your scenario doesn't exist in the real world.  Nice try though!

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

"Wages above min would be up to the employer"

Read the posts before replying stupid.

I think you comprehended it wrong.  Regardless of the number, if MW is raised, people with seniority that are currently making that $$$ amount would be making the same as a new employee.

If you are making minimum wage it is likely that is all your skills that you bring to the job are worth in the market. If you had actual skills you would be able to get that higher paying job. If you choose to drop out of high school, choose to not have any ambition, drive and motivation, that's your problem. If you choose to acquire the skills, are ambitious and work diligently to improve yourself you reap the rewards. It can be done.

Lloyd Blankfein, Goldman Sachs Group

Lloyd Blankfein is the chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs Group. He was born in the Bronx, N.Y., and raised in a Brooklyn housing project by his father, a postal employee, and his mother, a receptionist. He went to work himself as a vendor at Yankee Stadium while he was still a boy.

Blankfein attended Harvard Univerisity and earned a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School. After working as a tax attorney, he joined J. Aron & Co., a subsidiary of Goldman Sachs and worked his way up to the position of CEO

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

I haven't heard of a jurisdiction that went from $7.xx to $15 in one jump.  They increase in smaller increments over several years, so your scenario doesn't exist in the real world.  Nice try though!

Some cities went from from like 10 to 15 retard :finger:

Edited by Momorider

I always liked the concept where people on my team got raises. Typically I would be given a bucket of money to divide between the team members based on individual merit. Some got more of a raise than others. The closer they got to my salary positioned me to negotiate a comparable raise with my management. If I was making $100K and one of my team who was making $80K got a 5% raise I had leverage for a 5% raise as well as long as I earned it on merit. If I didn't then I just had to work that much better in the coming year to ensure I got that compensation.

11 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

I never said in one jump but it is wanted in a relatively short period of time like a couple years.   Its still a lot fast.   Happening over a few years doesn't change how employee's will react.  

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7a5d7d7a-0ace-4837-b5a4-f122b857478a

Edited by Highmark

5 hours ago, spin_dry said:

all wages stay the same. the system will begin to self correct within a short time. i don't see an issue. 

yep it self corrects . it did in MN at carwashes gas stations etc all the low management guys quit and found better jobs because there was no reason to make the same money as a 16yr old .

32 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

yep it self corrects . it did in MN at carwashes gas stations etc all the low management guys quit and found better jobs because there was no reason to make the same money as a 16yr old .

same thing happened at Mercury Marine when guys making $25/hr for many years were busted down to $13/hr along with new hires after the company basically broke the union. all self correcting. 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

same thing happened at Mercury Marine when guys making $25/hr for many years were busted down to $13/hr along with new hires after the company basically broke the union. all self correcting. 

Did the price of the products go down?

33 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

As long as it doesn't cost you anything eh?

That wasn't the question. You see in the "Good old days" That Trump has you cheering for, the average CEO made 35 times the amount the average worker made. Now they make 300. 

There are many reasons that the middle class isn't as well off as it use to be but wage inequality isn't helping.