Check your account email address ×

Barrett-Jackson

The ram air V Pontiac.... they developed this and had it ready for a couple production engines and several race ones as well. They managed to assemble several 303’s and 100-200 400’s for production cars in 69-70 before corporate GM caught wind of it and said no way... the 400 RAV made more power than the 426 hemi 

because GM were fags they never made it out the door as a production car. The assembled engines and parts made it out to racers as an over the counter option and some of the 400’s made it into cars being dealer installed. Pretty cool.

in 1970 they had the 455 but it had a generic Pontiac too end because they had nothing ready at that point. 71-72 they had the 455 HO which was basically a 455 with a 400 ram air 4 top end on it. Not a bad piece at the time 

in 73 Pontiac got a little niggardly again and put out the SD 455. Pretty much wasted anything else available at the time. Too bad being faster than the vette sealed its demise and had to be cancelled after 74

0916F5AC-AC88-4B70-A352-2DAEE55482F5.jpeg

00FDBA1D-4DFF-4D38-BECB-CEFD9BE63764.jpeg

3 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

I'm sure they all had engines more powerful than the hemi.  None were production. 

Hem,  the elephant, is a legend!

The Pontiac was supposed to be though and was ready for install.

ford had the 427 cammer too but ford pretended it was a production engine and got caught lying about it and that’s why it got banned from nascar. It would have never lasted on the street because it was a strictly race engine 

Edited by Rod Johnson

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, awful knawful said:

I'm sure they all had engines more powerful than the hemi.  None were production. 

Hem,  the elephant, is a legend!

A ford 427 medium riser was a production motor that put out 425 ponies , same as the 426 hemi.

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

A ford 427 medium riser was a production motor that put out 425 ponies , same as the 426 hemi.

How many were produced? Available  in everyday car?

That's why the hemi is king. For a few bucks you could get it in lots of different models.

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Available in mustangs , failanes and galaxys. But lets face it fairlaines and galazys were great looking cars. 

Big old galaxy in tuxedo black/red int. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, awful knawful said:

How many were produced? Available  in everyday car?

That's why the hemi is king. For a few bucks you could get it in lots of different models.

Yeah they were. And they exist because didhe had to produce them to compete In nascar. Lots of cool cars were born because of sanctioning bodies production car rules 

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Yeah they were. And they exist because didhe had to produce them to compete In nascar. Lots of cool cars were born because of sanctioning bodies production car rules 

Yes , that's why the 69 Camaro z28 was a 302. They wanted to race in scca and rules stated nothing larger then a 5.0

8 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Available in mustangs , failanes and galaxys. But lets face it fairlaines and galazys were great looking cars. 

The thunderbolt.  A limited run of enough to call it a production car. I believe they all did it. 

The Hemi option was around a grand back in the day, Wich was a lot of money.

Dennis Collins is quite the collector.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/news/dennis-collins-to-auction-18-pristine-fox-mustangs/

I have stuff to do outside but I don't want to miss these Fox bodies go through

I think they said they are going through in the next hour. His '76 Mustang just went through.

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Dennis Collins is quite the collector.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/news/dennis-collins-to-auction-18-pristine-fox-mustangs/

I have stuff to do outside but I don't want to miss these Fox bodies go through

I think they said they are going through in the next hour. His '76 Mustang just went through.

Well,

Be interesting to see how much they bring. 

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

The thunderbolt.  A limited run of enough to call it a production car. I believe they all did it. 

I had a chance to buy a Thunderbolt about 15 yrs ago, they kust dont do anything for me, but I shoulda bought it to sell,

11 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Both engines were way underrated by the factories in terms of actual horsepower / torque ratings.

22 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

The ram air V Pontiac.... they developed this and had it ready for a couple production engines and several race ones as well. They managed to assemble several 303’s and 100-200 400’s for production cars in 69-70 before corporate GM caught wind of it and said no way... the 400 RAV made more power than the 426 hemi 

because GM were fags they never made it out the door as a production car. The assembled engines and parts made it out to racers as an over the counter option and some of the 400’s made it into cars being dealer installed. Pretty cool.

in 1970 they had the 455 but it had a generic Pontiac too end because they had nothing ready at that point. 71-72 they had the 455 HO which was basically a 455 with a 400 ram air 4 top end on it. Not a bad piece at the time 

in 73 Pontiac got a little niggardly again and put out the SD 455. Pretty much wasted anything else available at the time. Too bad being faster than the vette sealed its demise and had to be cancelled after 74

0916F5AC-AC88-4B70-A352-2DAEE55482F5.jpeg

00FDBA1D-4DFF-4D38-BECB-CEFD9BE63764.jpeg

Nice find ! , Oldsmobile back in the day a hemi head  455 . Legend has it that two of the five produced have survived and are in private hands today .

3 hours ago, Cold War said:

Ford said there was, dropped one or maybe two in to parade around and try to con nascar into thinking it was a production model when it wasn’t. You couldn’t buy one if you tried and didn’t hit production criteria at all. They got caught and subsequently banned. Ford has a long history of being very shady with sanctioning bodies 

Edited by Rod Johnson

This sold for $53,900  ($49,000 + 10% Bidder's fee)

image.thumb.png.8433125e3d6182c637a03be55cf161d7.png

Lot #1571 - One of 561 produced with the LX 5.0 convertible option, this Mustang is powered by a 5.0-liter EFI high-output V8 engine and automatic transmission. It is finished in Reef Blue Metallic paint with a white power convertible top and white and opal gray leather articulated sport seats with power lumbar support, and has 340 actual miles. It is equipped with power steering, brakes, windows and door locks, and includes its original Window Sticker, keys, CARFAX and Marti Reports.

• Like 1