Check your account email address ×

2020 cat 800 is 168 HP! Poor 850 guys

Rod

2 minutes ago, Rapid Anus said:

DTR said it’ll make at least 7% more power with a proper winter dyno nice!

1 minute ago, Rapid Anus said:

Owned 

01614A40-CC5E-4489-B7F6-7F6241C3ABAE.png

That’s not what they said. First the Cat was broken in before They got there and second the 7% reference was about the Polaris. DTR did not say they the cat would gain 7% in winter air

Remember both of the aforementioned Polaris engines gained approximately 7% HP from out of the crate dyno test one to finally broken in rings by long, slow sweep dyno test #80! And the 2018 Ctec800 we used for the NY Shootout, out of the crate but with broken in ECU went from 148 HP on certification dyno test one to 152 HP on test 30! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I just read that thread and as Z pointed out DTR says it "could" pick up 7%

DTR covering his ass and cats. If the dyno test wasnt good then dont release results. Simple

• Thanks 1

Just now, jtssrx said:

That’s not what they said. First the Cat was broken in before They got there and second the 7% reference was about the Polaris. DTR did not say they the cat would gain 7% in winter air

Remember both of the aforementioned Polaris engines gained approximately 7% HP from out of the crate dyno test one to finally broken in rings by long, slow sweep dyno test #80! And the 2018 Ctec800 we used for the NY Shootout, out of the crate but with broken in ECU went from 148 HP on certification dyno test one to 152 HP on test 30! 

You can just say your butthurt and move on and buy a cat 

88CAB461-8BE9-4C84-A1B2-2B1B7286E3EC.jpeg

Once again Tom Ferry of Arctic Adventures in Rosendale, NY was first to DTR with the new 2020 ZR 8000 Sno-Pro with a Ctec2 800 engine—slightly revised for 2020 with new cylinders, pistons, head and ECU configuration. To get the ECU out of “breakin mode” Tom ran the engine for five hours at light throttle with track spinning and water pouring on the heat exchangers. 92.9 R+M octane 0% ethanol fuel was used.
Since the Ctec2 800 is being touted as being “in the 165 HP Class”, no one should fret about this brand new zero mile being far from 165 HP. This engine is said to utilize plasma coated cylinder bores similar to the Polaris 800 and 850’s. If so, expect power to climb after many miles of hard riding, or LOTS of dyno tests. Remember both of the aforementioned Polaris engines gained approximately 7% HP from out of the crate dyno test one to finally broken in rings by long, slow sweep dyno test #80! And the 2018 Ctec800 we used for the NY Shootout, out of the crate but with broken in ECU went from 148 HP on certification dyno test one to 152 HP on test 30! On this dyno day, Tom had a trailer full of sleds to dyno test/ tune for customers so we didn’t have the hours necessary to do the brutal ring loading of many dyno tests to see how the Ctec2 800’s power might improve.
And while it’s normal for us to home in on the peak HP numbers, the torque curve that shows midrange HP is important, especially for trail riders who enjoy accelerating hard out of corners. The broad RPM spread between peak torque and peak HP (=broad HP plateau) is very useful for estimating the ease of obtaining proper clutch calibration. The overlay graph at the end includes the HP and TQ data from the NY Shootout sleds from the prior two years. That midrange HP and TQ advantage of the new engine is significant.
I had planned to use the DTR intake air refrigeration system to test the new engine in dry winter air and winter temp fuel. I put pump gas in a steel can inside the 1000 cubic ft cold room, and turned the system on and let it run all night to be sure the 5 gallons of fuel was chilled to 20F by morning. When I left the room was 18F. But when we were ready to test the three condensers were frosted solid and the air was up to 44F. It takes a day for the condensers to thaw out so winter air test was aborted. I need to upgrade the three compressors/ condensers to automatically keep the condensers free of ice and operate non stop.
There are plans being made to have a 2020 Ctec2 800 here for Precision EFI to come from QC CA to create a reflash like he did for the Ctec 800 (test results posted here on 10/25/18—a must-read—can Precision EFI add a similar 5% HP to the Ctec2 with a reflash?). If it’s this sled, we’ll be able to make time to fully instrument the engine and be sure to get it fully broken in. And hopefully we can take the time to assess some aftermarket exhausts.
And once again feel free to share torque and horsepower and technical issues we observe and describe here with your internet pals. But please no cutting and pasting!
There’s more to come.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Rapid Anus said:

So yeah +7% would be 165 hp or so, plus cold air will add even more. So might even see 170 which would be just awesome!

Sure and their big HP claims don't come with a qualifier.....must add mods. Cat failed and FTR IDGAF but damn dude just admit it.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Here’s the deal pro stock 800’s make well over 200hp so can an 800 make 168hp yes. The fact is this 800 made 155 and it was broken in. Would I think it would make a few HP more with great air yes but every sled makes more power with great air. I’ve seen it on all my Doo’s on super cold days all my two strokes make more power. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah good point...Cat fell short.

Derp....cat said my new derp 800 would make 200 hp and all I had to do was add a silber turbo setup and it made 208 derp. Cat is awesome derp!!!

Edited by f7ben
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

This thread is a joke right? From taking an article that was clearly just a magazine repeating cats claims to thinking any teo stroke will keep up with a Sidewinder in 1500 feet.

Just be happy for slinger and his new sled. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rapid Anus said:

So yeah +7% would be 165 hp or so, plus cold air will add even more. So might even see 170 which would be just awesome!

800 etec had 163.7hp like 10 years ago... :news:

• Like 1