Check your account email address ×

To my father.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Passed away 20 years ago today.  You will never be forgotten.  

Amazing how certain days are so vivid in our minds that even after 20+ years have passed we can remember them like they were yesterday.  

When these things happen its almost as if you are living it and watching it at the same time.   My wedding day, births of my boys are some of the days like that.   Thankfully we have that vivid of memory of the good days and not just the bad.  

Fathers-Day-Quotes.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Your Dad must have been a young man, blessed are the memories you have.

53.   I was 27.  

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Sorry for your loss Highmark.  Your dad didn't get much time to spend with his grandkids.  

Probably one of the hardest things.   My oldest was about 1 1/2.   My brothers were both expecting their first.  

21 minutes ago, sledderj said:

:bc:  

X2 - they never really leave us.... I think of my dad & mom often and like was said... memorable moments from even 50 years ago can seem like yesterday

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Probably one of the hardest things.   My oldest was about 1 1/2.   My brothers were both expecting their first.  

Sorry to hear about your dad dying that young. I'm lucky to have mine still living and going strong at 85.

15 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

my condolences. what did he die of that young,  if you don't mind me asking?

It was an accident.

10 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

ah man that's awful. must have been horrible for the family to deal with. I honestly don't know how people get over some of the tough situations in life.

No way is easy and every type of loss has its different challenges.   People who lose loved ones from long illness' always say "well at least you didn't have to watch them suffer" which I always found strange.   Why does it need to be compared?

Really didn't mean to make this a poor me thread and honestly not out for sympathy.   Just wanted a way to express my feelings for my dad and with as much time as we spend on here with one another I consider SOME of you friends.  :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No way is easy and every type of loss has its different challenges.   People who lose loved ones from long illness' always say "well at least you didn't have to watch them suffer" which I always found strange.   Why does it need to be compared?

Really didn't mean to make this a poor me thread and honestly not out for sympathy.   Just wanted a way to express my feelings for my dad and with as much time as we spend on here with one another I consider SOME of you friends.  :lol: 

A big happy totally dysfunctional family:lol::bc:

1 minute ago, T1R9sledder said:

A big happy totally dysfunctional family:lol::bc:

Jesus isn't that the truth.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

53.   I was 27.  

Sorry buddy.   My pops was 55 and I was 25.  Very difficult for sure, every day / year. 

45 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Really sorry HM.....barring any tragedy with my wife or kid my Dad will be the toughest loss of my life. Not looking forward to that. 

Ur pops is a great man for sure. 

36 minutes ago, Highmark said:

It was an accident.

My dad worked / owned a construction business and he slipped on some ice and a truck backed over his legs.  He healed up and then got worse about 1 year later.  Long story short, he was unable to work, was in the hospital for 1.5 years on and off and then brought home until the day he passed.  My mom was a saint and took care of him 24 x 7- Hospital bed and all.  He "suffered" (no walking, talking etc) for 3.5 years after he came home.  It was horrible to watch a 220# confident man go to 80#'s.   I told my mom to get away for a weekend with my wife and sisters to Chicago and I stayed next to him.  He would write me a note and ask me to let him pass.....  He had a trake and asked me to not clear it many times so he would die.  

1 minute ago, jammin said:

Sorry buddy.   My pops was 55 and I was 25.  Very difficult for sure, every day / year. 

Ur pops is a great man for sure. 

My dad worked / owned a construction business and he slipped on some ice and a truck backed over his legs.  He healed up and then got worse about 1 year later.  Long story short, he was unable to work, was in the hospital for 1.5 years on and off and then brought home until the day he passed.  My mom was a saint and took care of him 24 x 7- Hospital bed and all.  He "suffered" (no walking, talking etc) for 3.5 years after he came home.  It was horrible to watch a 220# confident man go to 80#'s.   I told my mom to get away for a weekend with my wife and sisters to Chicago and I stayed next to him.  He would write me a note and ask me to let him pass.....  He had a trake and asked me to not clear it many times so he would die.  

Wow, no words Jammin.   That had to be awful beyond comprehension of most.  

Rest In Peace too your dad.

Its been 49 years since my dad passed and not a week goes by that I don’t think of him. This morning I used one of his wood chisels.

Edited by Mainecat
  • Like 1

Very sorry about your dad HM, that’s way to young.  May he RIP.  Spump and I lost our dad 9 years ago in June.  Like you, I think of him and miss him every day.  In 5 years, we watched a strapping 220 lb guy wither away from Alzheimer’s.  I have a great picture of him to remind me every morning when I come down stairs to start my day. :bc: 

Edited by DriftBusta

25 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Rest In Peace too your dad.

Its been 49 years since my dad passed and not a week goes by that I don’t think of him. This morning I used one of his wood chisels.

I have a bunch of tools from my dad. The guy could fix or build just about anything. 

8 minutes ago, jammin said:

I didnt mean to side rail ur thread about ur father.  Apology and Peace.  :bc: 

Didn't do that in the slightest.   I had intended for anyone to talk about their dads for any reason at all.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

It's terrible watching the people you love suffer and waste away. My dad had Alzheimer's. Watching him forget who he was and who his family was, was horrible. He spent his last couple of months in a locked (so they can't walk away) care home. Rarely would he know who I was or who any of us were.