Check your account email address ×

are firearm background checks unconstitutional?

Because we are a nation of common law with precedent running back 250+ years and there are laws that outline reasonable restrictions to those rights when it comes to who is allowed to exercise the second amendment. Such as, being a murderer. Background checks ensure, or are supposed to ensure, that those laws are upheld. 

Depending on who and how these background checks provide restriction they may well be unconstitutional. I do support background checks and a uniform system for completing them but I think that congress should amend the constitution to provide language facilitating this.

31 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Because we are a nation of common law with precedent running back 250+ years and there are laws that outline reasonable restrictions to those rights when it comes to who is allowed to exercise the second amendment. Such as, being a murderer. Background checks ensure, or are supposed to ensure, that those laws are upheld. 

if my facts are correct, felons or those that were sentenced to more than 364 days in jail could legally possess firearms up until october 1968 when LBJ signed the gun control act. i wonder if that law has ever been challenged? if an individual has served their time via incarceration and extended supervision hasn’t their debt been paid? it seems rather odd to me 

no felons or any one convicted of stuff like burglary or violent crime even if not a felon for hand guns  . but I think shot gun only restriction is felon and I think non violet felons can get there shotgun rights back with some lawyer $$$

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

no felons or any one convicted of stuff like burglary or violent crime even if not a felon for hand guns  . but I think shot gun only restriction is felon and I think non violet felons can get there shotgun rights back with some lawyer $$$

The NRA opposed senator Dodd’s amendment in 1963 to bar the possession of guns to criminals and mental patients. They also opposed the interstate transfer of guns via mail order. His bills never even made it for a session vote. I can remember looking at guns in a Montgomery Wards catalog. No background checks required. Just place your order. They’d ship it to your door. My dad bought a 30.30 marlin out of a catalog. 

Every new gun control law has followed some sort of tragedy. The “68 bill of Dodd’s was finally signed the week after RFK was shot 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

• Platinum Contributing Member

The NRA opposes any sensible laws because of the slippery slope arguement and good for them because if they didn't who would? While some of their positions seem extreme there are those on the other side that are just as extreme or worse. Look I remember walking into High School with old side by side 20 gauge because the principal who was a gun guy wanted to take a look at it and obviously that would not fly today....things evolve and it's all a matter of moderating both extreme sides.

Edited by Biggie Smails

54 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

The NRA opposes any sensible laws because of the slippery slope arguement and good for them because if they didn't who would? While some of their positions seem extreme there are those on the other side that are just as extreme or worse. Look I remember walking into High School with old side by side 20 gauge because the principal who was a gun guy wanted to take a look at it and obviously that would not fly today....things evolve and it's all a matter of moderating both extreme sides.

but the arguement is that a person can kill with a knife, car, or truck? so whats the point of firearm background checks and restricting their distribution? 

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

lol when I was in grade school I brought my 4 10 to school because,we needed them for firearms safety class after school . when I was in high school we had a skeet club and I brought my 16 gauge to school 2 days a week . we had to keep them in out locker and. oukd not take them out of the case in school 

20 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

lol when I was in grade school I brought my 4 10 to school because,we needed them for firearms safety class after school . when I was in high school we had a skeet club and I brought my 16 gauge to school 2 days a week . we had to keep them in out locker and. oukd not take them out of the case in school 

The last guy that brought a gun to my school, killed three, including himself and wounded 14 others.