Check your account email address ×

Oh Dear Lord!

Anler

Just now, f7ben said:

ski traction coordinated with a proper stud setup is easy to achieve without creating heavy steering 

Sure...but i prefer running without studs... especially on the rider forward sleds.

3 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

Im sure id have no issues keeping up with you on a trail that either of us know.

Not in icy conditions you wont. When i was riding that pro s last winter it got icy and that thing was a fucking handful in the corners. 4" carbides and no studs was scary AF. And I really liked that sled, but on the ice, no thanks without proper traction. 

15 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

Only place ive felt i needed studs was on lake without snow....

zactly,  or ice over logging roads,  I put 15 of the last 20k miles i've ridden on without studs,  the 5 k with studs was the ice cobra.  i love the ice cobra for the logging roads and to just get some go on the ice of the lakes but the 1.75 unstudded was still my favorite track put almost 6k on that bitch along with 5k miles on a predator and 4k on a rip 1 unstudded.  

Just now, Anler said:

Not in icy conditions you wont. When i was riding that pro s last winter it got icy and that thing was a fucking handful in the corners. 4" carbides and no studs was scary AF. And I really liked that sled, but on the ice, no thanks without proper traction. 

Ok....irode the up for a week with conditions like that....wasnt scared at all. :lol:

1 minute ago, Anler said:

i am more concerned about carbides,  i'll take  a loose ass just want the front to plant.  my current gade got 6" shapers before i rode it as did the freeride before that.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i am more concerned about carbides,  i'll take  a loose ass just want the front to plant.  my current gade got 6" shapers before i rode it as did the freeride before that.  

Yup!

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Better carbides would have made a world of difference for sure. I run 6" shapers usually but on the new set of Mohawks i only ran the 6" carbide on a round bar to see how it worked. Was worried about the skis being too aggressive. 

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

You can't stop or start under icy conditions anywhere near as fast without studs as you can with, you can't break as hard or accelerate as hard in and out of corners without studs period.

exactly .....fucking pussies with 600's can get by without studs. Any sled that actually makes some torque off idle will need studs to be enjoyed properly 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Better carbides would have made a world of difference for sure. I run 6" shapers usually but on the new set of Mohawks i only ran the 6" carbide on a round bar to see how it worked. Was worried about the skis being too aggressive. 

i like woodys square bars better than the shapers tbh,  i bend shapers too easily.  destroyed a ski end of last winter after i snapped on in half.  

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

exactly .....fucking pussies with 600's can get by without studs. Any sled that actually makes some torque off idle will need studs to be enjoyed properly 

All three of my sleds are 800 XCR triples and one will be a 1000 hopefully this year, I can't even imagine trying to survive without studs.

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

i like woodys square bars better than the shapers tbh,  i bend shapers too easily.  destroyed a ski end of last winter after i snapped on in half.  

I lost half the carbide out of a shaper last year on the first ride.......I wasnt happy but they are great carbides so I'll keep using them 

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

I have found the shapers dont last very long. I am always finding carbide teeth missing too soon. I havent had any problems with the round bars or bergstroms

Just now, 1jkw said:

All three of my sleds are 800 XCR triples and one will be a 1000 hopefully this year, I can't even imagine trying to survive without studs.

Why would you want to .....people pay all this money to have sleds with great motors and then they go around spinning the fucking track. It would be like buying a corvette and then putting skinny tires on the rear .....what the fuck would the point of that be

7 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

You aren't riding fast on any tight trails with that kind of sled anyway :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member

To each their own.   Studs, no studs whatever but if you think on icy trails you can keep up with an equally talented rider that is studded then you probably think a 600 can keep up with an 800.   Equal riders of course. :lol:   

Studs are not needed on most mountain trails.   They simply have enough snow where they are not beneficial.  Lug height is a bigger deal.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

Just now, 1jkw said:

Yes as a matter of fact you can but not without studs and good carbides.

I had a blast on the triple for 500 miles last year .....it would have been gas as fuck without a good traction setup front and rear. Same goes for any sled with more than 600 class power

Just now, FAT DAVE said:

Ok 

Our trails even through the woods are pretty wide to allow the groomers to get through, the amount of speed I lose through the tight narrow trails pales in comparison to the speed I gain on the rail beds, fields and log roads.

Look at all this talented riding....Fucking dial stuck on EleEVyn!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

@Highmark :lmao:  "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

@f7ben:lol: "MINE'S A BAD ASS 800!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

51 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I studded all of my 600's. I always think i can get away without studs until I ride that one icy day then im putting studs on this fucking thing tomorrow!

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

I studded all of my 600's. I always think i can get away without studs until I ride that one icy day then im putting studs on this fucking thing tomorrow!

That's what a friend always thought until the day his wife did a 360 in the middle of the trail because glare ice. :lol: