Check your account email address ×

trail prep

Ez ryder

it is a sled forum right ?lol

so our club has a bit of cash and we are looking in to buying a disk for all our local clubs to use to prep fields .

most of the farmers just turn the corn fields with those big plow deals leaving huge clumps .

none care if we disk mast say they would do it but they don't even have a disk around any more .

what are you guys using ? looking at the 3 pt looks pretty tough to get from site to site with no tractor or to move around in a poll shed  . can you tow the ones with wheels at least on to a landscape trailer  or down the road with a truck? or atv

looks like 7.5 and 8 and 9 in are the norm for spacing I assume the closer the better? what is the spacing of a finishing disk ?

only thing I know about farming is you have tractors and are all tell me how broke you are standing between your new king ranch and your new cat tractor lol

Edited by Ez ryder

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

How would you pull it without a tractor?

Neal

like I said most of the local farmers we deal with say they would do it we also have members with tractors who would pull it . but our storage is not convenient to drive a tractor to not even close and with like 180 mi of trail no one is driving the whole thing from field to field in a day.  

5 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I would think you would be much better off hiring someone to land roll it.

Neal

I know south west trails uses a finishing disk that works pretty good from what I can tell by driving buy there fields after they are done .

those land rollers look $$ used best price I saw was like 26k.

we really can not get anything more than 10 to 12 feet wide also . have to be able to go through woods and down the trails to next field of it would take weeks not days.

I am going to keep looking in to land rollers but most look huge in my 10 min search

we are a metro club our furthest out trail from down town MPLS in like 40 min out by freeway

Edited by Ez ryder

I'd think you could buy a disk at a farm auction fairly cheap and rent a land roller pretty cheap too, or even get use of it donated.  Or cultipack it.

https://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/d/disk-hydraulic-lift/6268657763.html

https://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/d/12-ft-harms-land-roller-for/6266089233.html

https://rmn.craigslist.org/grd/d/13-brillion-cultipacker/6295088923.html

17 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

like I said most of the local farmers we deal with say they would do it we also have members with tractors who would pull it . but our storage is not convenient to drive a tractor to not even close and with like 180 mi of trail no one is driving the whole thing from field to field in a day.  

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'd think you could buy a disk at a farm auction fairly cheap and rent a land roller pretty cheap too, or even get use of it donated.  Or cultipack it.

https://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/d/12-ft-harms-land-roller-for/6266089233.html

Short money right there, and wheels to boot :bc: 

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Rent a grader for a few days????

prob with renting anything is you are working with people doing shit in there spare time for free . best to have something you can deliver to them  and let them get to it when they can

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

will a roller like that work on clumpy clay turned like they do when turning corn ?

what works better in clay  the roller style or the cultipack style or old school disk ?

Edited by Ez ryder

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

It would be better than nothing.

lol the only field in my section was real bad past few yrs . so after a rain I grabbed a argo and drove back and fourth in the greasy clay  for 4 hrs . could have done that field in 10 min with a finishing disk .

17 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

lol the only field in my section was real bad past few yrs . so after a rain I grabbed a argo and drove back and fourth in the greasy clay  for 4 hrs . could have done that field in 10 min with a finishing disk .

Ideally, I'd disk it then run the land roller or the cultimulcher over it.  You should try to figure out which of the clubs in Stearns County smooth out the fields they run through.  They do a excellent job.  

7 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Ideally, I'd disk it then run the land roller or the cultimulcher over it.  You should try to figure out which of the clubs in Stearns County smooth out the fields they run through.  Th ey do a excellent job.  

fuck sterns cant be to hard to flatten potato in sand . a good wind will flatten that shit out lol .

I have 80 in becker and my cozens own another 320 all sand. as deep as you dig.

but yeah it realistically has to be a 1 pass deal of it wont get done . you know the deal you are in a short window between crops out and hard freeze for volunteers to get out and do it . and those volunteers just spent the last 30 days in that tractor seat    

Edited by Ez ryder

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

fuck sterns cant be to hard to flatten potato in sand . a good wind will flatten that shit out lol .

I have 80 in becker and my cozens own another 320 all sand. as deep as you dig.

but yeah it realistically has to be a 1 pass deal of it wont get done . you know the deal you are in a short window between crops out and hard freeze for volunteers to get out and do it . and those volunteers just spent the last 30 days in that tractor seat    

Stearns has plenty of heavy ground too.  Around the river is most definitely sand, but you get pretty much anywhere else and it is really good ground, with more sand in the Bonanza Valley.  

how about a 12' "finishing" disk with a 12' brillion transport packer in tow behind the disk?  Ought to have 100-125 horse to pull it all but one pass will make a damn nice seed bed out of just about any ground, unless it's too wet to be on the field in the first place.

• Platinum Contributing Member

In our area, we have a unit they pull behind the groomer that they call the "Land leveler". I assume its similar to the cultipacker Racinfarmer posted.

This is one of our volunteers leveling a field with his own equipment. Just a cultivator being pulled by a small tractor.

59b73feb6a14b_2014Novlandleveling.thumb.jpg.e327ecd2030f9cd9b7261e531c43d58d.jpg

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In our area, we have a unit they pull behind the groomer that they call the "Land leveler". I assume its similar to the cultipacker Racinfarmer posted.

This is one of our volunteers leveling a field with his own equipment. Just a cultivator being pulled by a small tractor.

59b73feb6a14b_2014Novlandleveling.thumb.jpg.e327ecd2030f9cd9b7261e531c43d58d.jpg

we only have tuckers so no driving them to far in the dirt .

a finishing disk is prob first to buy I do like those packers . and that combo deal racing farmer posted .

guess I have to start going to implement stores around my parts to see what is out there .

we are deff looking used as not wanting to spend more than a few grand

and we really cant get larger than like 12ft wide . in the fields life is ez but we do have a decent amount of woods with  turns you have to think about when yanking a drag behind a tucker

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

we only have tuckers so no driving them to far in the dirt .

a finishing disk is prob first to buy I do like those packers . and that combo deal racing farmer posted .

guess I have to start going to implement stores around my parts to see what is out there .

we are deff looking used as not wanting to spend more than a few grand

and we really cant get larger than like 12ft wide . in the fields life is ez but we do have a decent amount of woods with  turns you have to think about when yanking a drag behind a tucker

You could probably rent something like a Deere 7330 fairly cheap to pull a disk with.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You could probably rent something like a Deere 7330 fairly cheap to pull a disk with.

like I said we do have guys with tractors willing to do the work they for some reason just don't have a disk.

it is one of those things our small local club is pretty good at fund raising so there is no reason to put some of that cash in to equipment we and other surrounding clubs can use .

don't buy tangible shit the money gets pissed away on party's and shit . that was why we started this club to be a snowmobile club not a social club that has more focus on partys and charity than the trails .

if we start to turn from trails first to some other thing the primary starters will deff bail .

we are going to try to buy a decent tool every yr as a asset for the club . try to run it like a growing small business

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I found you a 12' Allis Chalmers disk coming up for auction in a couple weeks, but you'd have to drag the bastard home from Taylors Falls.

that is not a bad drive we have plenty of guys with 1 ton and 2 ton trucks and trailers in club 1 with a mack and flat bed  . what auction site ?

we have a few members with pretend farms lol with nice tractors that sit in the poll barn looking for a reason to get used

Edited by Ez ryder