Check your account email address ×

Bhent Airways , first flight

19 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

It will get easier as you get familiarized with the instruments, their layout and all of the standard operating procedures that take place every time you fly.  You should be fairly comfortable within a few hours.

An iPad with a bad elf GPS and ForeFlight or ZephyrCharts is an absolutely amazing tool.  You will have to learn paper chart navigation and how to use an E6B Flight Computer, but honestly, once you pass your flight test and the  written test you can pretty much throw that stuff away nowadays.

Maybe we need a Freedom Flyer subforum

:lol:

yah , pretty much what I figured 

• Platinum Contributing Member
22 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Just so happens that you are right in my day trip wheelhouse smails ....northern michigan flights for the 100$ hamburger will certainly be part of my hour building schedule.

Also the millright at work that is gay and married to a michigan cop happens to be vacationing in charlevoix this week :lol: I told him i knew a recovering alcoholic paint huffing painter up there 

Haha...fucker! :lol: :thumb:

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

Well ......done with my first lesson. Was in the air for 8/10ths of an hour. It seemed like 5 minutes. It was kind of exhausting to be honest. You are in full sensory overload the whole time trying to think and watch gauges etc etc. The CFI was awesome....she kept reminding me to just look out the window and enjoy the view and that the plane would damn near fly itself. Wiggle my fingers and not death grip the wheel the whole time :lol: 

I taxi'd and did the takeoff and we did quite a few turns and then I set up the landing etc. I could feel her grab the wheel and make a few corrections as I was landing but I think it wont take long to get the hang of it.

The cessna 172 seems nice to fly and I fit in it just fine.....there isn't a lot of room however and I will buy something bigger for xc flying if I get into it as I plan.

The engine was smooth and quieter than I thought , having the headset on was cool and talking into it and having a conversation while flying was cool.

Overall I am going to enjoy it and I look forward to being an astute student and becoming a safe and proficient pilot.

Haha , Awesome !!!!  :bc:

I have my second scheduled training this friday .....got my 3rd class medical exam scheduled a week from tomorrow and I just called about a t-hanger for rent at the airport where I am doing the training. I think I am going to go ahead and rent the hanger in anticipation of putting a plane in it in the next 9-12 months. 

Ball is rolling 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I have my second scheduled training this friday .....got my 3rd class medical exam scheduled a week from tomorrow and I just called about a t-hanger for rent at the airport where I am doing the training. I think I am going to go ahead and rent the hanger in anticipation of putting a plane in it in the next 9-12 months. 

Ball is rolling 

Why would you rent a hanger for a plane that you don't yet own?  Put that money toward more seat time in the 172 and build some hours.  You will need 10 hrs or so before you solo and 40+ before you are ready for your private license.  Spend your money wisely getting your license because once you get your own plane the bills never stop coming.  

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Why would you rent a hanger for a plane that you don't yet own?  Put that money toward more seat time in the 172 and build some hours.  You will need 10 hrs or so before you solo and 40+ before you are ready for your private license.  Spend your money wisely getting your license because once you get your own plane the bills never stop coming.  

Because they have only 2 hangers left .....there were 3 last week and they arent making any more. The hanger rental is very cheap. $100 per month. I'll keep checking and if they get down to 1 hanger left I'll just pull the trigger and grab it. There is no lease to sign or anything. I might just grab one anyways

Just now, f7ben said:

Because they have only 2 hangers left .....there were 3 last week and they arent making any more. The hanger rental is very cheap. $100 per month. I'll keep checking and if they get down to 1 hanger left I'll just pull the trigger and grab it. There is no lease to sign or anything. I might just grab one anyways

That's very cheap.  Less than a storage unit.  Wonder if they will let you store beater Cats in there.  You might be on to something.....

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

That's very cheap.  Less than a storage unit.  Wonder if they will let you store beater Cats in there.  You might be on to something.....

I already told the wife I would move the sleds and trailer down there for the time being :lol: everything in Indiana is super cheap.....I had been penciling in 200-250 per month for hanger and this is a nice surprise 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

These guys are always wrecking nice Cessnas. Ben, be careful in the 172. Cessna owners around the world are counting on you.  

I like the cardinal 177 rg ......thats about the only cessna that does it for me 

You need a hot little Beech Bonanza...they are known as doctor killers but since you aren't one you should be good. Funny but my old man had a buddy that was an Ortho Surgeon who had a Bonanza...didn't kill him though. :lol:

IMG_2031.thumb.JPG.df5361973d36cf6fb20bdbfb05707356.JPG

A Bo would be sweet but the maintenance costs associated with them would kill me. If I go retract its going to be a Comanche or a Cardinal. The Bo is like an audi.....real sweet until it needs cv boots and a brake job and the shop tells you its gonna be 10g's :lol: 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I like the cardinal 177 rg ......thats about the only cessna that does it for me 

A C185 or souped up C180 are for sure the best Cessnas in the air.  The 180/185 is considered the F250 of the air.  After that, the C206 is bad ass plane.  The 206 is a little expensive to operate for the average guy but it can get some work done for sure.  

The 177 RG is a neat plane but pretty fragile and pretty anemic at gross.  It's a pavement to pavement plane.  Great for taking your wife to lunch in but that's about it.  

35 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

You need a hot little Beech Bonanza...they are known as doctor killers but since you aren't one you should be good. Funny but my old man had a buddy that was an Ortho Surgeon who had a Bonanza...didn't kill him though. :lol:

IMG_2031.thumb.JPG.df5361973d36cf6fb20bdbfb05707356.JPG

One of my close drag racing friends had a Bonanza for about 15 years.  Fun plane and pretty fast for the HP.  It didn't like to fly slow very good.  The thing about planes is they have to be able to handle flying slow or you can never get them o the ground.  

14 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

One of my close drag racing friends had a Bonanza for about 15 years.  Fun plane and pretty fast for the HP.  It didn't like to fly slow very good.  The thing about planes is they have to be able to handle flying slow or you can never get them o the ground.  

Ahhhh....that explains the doctor killer moniker.

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

A C185 or souped up C180 are for sure the best Cessnas in the air.  The 180/185 is considered the F250 of the air.  After that, the C206 is bad ass plane.  The 206 is a little expensive to operate for the average guy but it can get some work done for sure.  

The 177 RG is a neat plane but pretty fragile and pretty anemic at gross.  It's a pavement to pavement plane.  Great for taking your wife to lunch in but that's about it.  

The 177RG fits my mission much better right now then a 180/185 .....It can fly on under 10gph at 140kts and handles well with a ton of room inside. It has a much roomier cabin then a c180. There are issues with it like the chincy door hinges and attach points so some care needs to be given there but like anything there are quirks. It is said the 177 was incredibly far ahead of its time and its specs compare well with planes built decades after it. If it hadnt been for the A model and its issues there may not be a 172 right now.

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The comanche does 95% of what the Bo does and it does it cheaper and just as reliably. It also doesnt suffer form the slow flight lack of authority/coordination. Obviously I have no experience myself but if one reads enough and scours the forums this is the resounding response you will find.

For my mission which is 480NM pavement to pavement and doing it as quickly , efficiently and safely as possible I have more or less narrowed down to the following

Complex -

Moonie J model ....possibly a pre-j or even a K if the deal was right ...does everything well although the cabin may be a bit tighter than most

Cessna 177RG although these dont present as good of a value because of the cessna premium you pay

Comanche 180/250/260 ....great value for what the plane will do

All those planes will cruise at 170mph plus at 10gph or less ....that gets me home in 3.5 hours or less which is perfect. They are all very stable IFR platforms as well which is in my plan

Fixed Gear - 

Grumman tiger .....very fast for a fixed gear and very efficient. Decent room and great specs as well as constructed extremely well. 

Cherokee 235 - does ok but slow for the amount of fuel you burn

Cessna 180-182-185-206 ......nice planes but expensive and relatively slow for the fuel burn again

1 minute ago, Biggie Smails said:

Ahhhh....that explains the doctor killer moniker.

Most of that had to do with lack of training and cocky attitudes of those flying them. Stick a low time pilot in a high perf complex and send them on their way with their ego out front and you have a recipe for disaster. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Most of that had to do with lack of training and cocky attitudes of those flying them. Stick a low time pilot in a high perf complex and send them on their way with their ego out front and you have a recipe for disaster. 

Ummmm....sounds like someone....can't quite put my finger on it...hmmmmm...... :lol:

• Haha 1