Check your account email address ×

Chevy garbage

f7ben

Just now, f7ben said:

gm 5.3's were notorious for very loose piston to wall clearance resulting in the famous gm "piston slap" when cold and higher then normal oil consumption.

That said ....most of them seemed to run forever like that....although they are slugs for a motor producing anemic power levels and totally lack luster performance :lol: 

Mine has some piston slap for a few seconds after start-up.  Mine is no speed demon at all but it has the same power as a comparable Ford or Dodge.  Fuel economy is excellent for a truck.  16-18 on average around town and 20+ on the highway at 65.  Modern diesels barely do that.  Show me an '06  Dodge or Ford with better performance from their mid level motor.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Mine has some piston slap for a few seconds after start-up.  Mine is no speed demon at all but it has the same power as a comparable Ford or Dodge.  Fuel economy is excellent for a truck.  16-18 on average around town and 20+ on the highway at 65.  Modern diesels barely do that.  Show me an '06  Dodge or Ford with better performance from their mid level motor.  

There are no 06 Dodge 1500's left here in MN.  They have all rusted back into Mother Earth and such is the cycle of life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I think most of my issue with that iteration of GM and even the newer ones I have been in is the freaking retarded tranny calibration. It makes them seem so gutless.

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think most of my issue with that iteration of GM and even the newer ones I have been in is the freaking retarded tranny calibration. It makes them seem so gutless.

I haven't noticed an issue with the transmission calibration.  Seems pretty good to me.  I drove a 2012 F150 for work this summer.  it has a little more pep than my '06 but not by a huge margin.

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I haven't noticed an issue with the transmission calibration.  Seems pretty good to me.  I drove a 2012 F150 for work this summer.  it has a little more pep than my '06 but not by a huge margin.

the shifts are late and soft compared to the dodges and fords I have driven and owned. Maybe yours has a tuner and you dont know it 

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Just about every article concerning the 5.3 from 2000 right on through the now makes reference to it ........

Driving Impressions

As always, one major benefit of choosing Chevy's traditional full-size SUV is standard V8 power. And the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe's 5.3-liter V8 engine is certainly beefy enough to pull around a full complement of passengers and gear. It's also plenty smooth and refined. The standard six-speed automatic transmission gets the most out of the V8, with proper gear ratios both for hearty acceleration and quiet cruising. On the whole, the 2015 Tahoe's cabin is as hushed as a luxury car, especially on the highway.

We're less fond of the 2015 Tahoe's lazy responses to gas pedal inputs, a result of GM's efforts to calibrate the engine and transmission for maximum fuel mileage. With either two- or four-wheel drive, the 2015 Tahoe received an Edmunds.com "C" rating, due in part to the lethargic feel from behind the steering wheel. There's a noticeable delay when pressing on the gas pedal, whether you're trying to execute a pass at highway speeds or accelerate from a stop.

5 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

I'll agree wth that.  GM calls it "torque management".  Basically pussifying the power delivery so it doesn't shock load components and break shit while under warranty.  

Its been noticeable in every GM I've driven since the 98 trucks 

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

My wife totaled the Camry I bought from Xcrrrr and it had 227k or so on it. Was a damn nice car still and I have no doubt it would have gone another 100k or more.

Well , I started pulling the motor ....just getting lines and harness out of the way. Turbo and manifold are loose and waiting to be pulled. I'll just need to figure out if I am going out the top which is likely and if I'll pull the whole engine tranny and then take the tranny off on the bench. Should be pretty straight forward 

You two have a lot in common.:lol:

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

And my '06 5.3 GMC 1500 has 150k on it and has never burned a qt of oil in it's life and doesn't have a speck of rust.  Something must be wrong with the way you own/drive/maintain your equipment.  

well if dropping your trucks off for all scheduled maint and oil changes at the dealer for the first 80k mi and having a card for unlimited washes and rolling thrugh at least 1 time a week is shit maint then I guess I am guilty . the chevy was a total pile of shit . I had a 02 that never had issues in 160k  but then  that one was not built in taco country.

this 12 ford has had 1 fitting for a coolant hose blow a o ring under 150 fix a heater fan switch thing 70 bucks . the rust is pissing me off but not as bad as the bull shit oil usage with in GM spec and the front end issues that were a yearly deal .

hell  would rather have my old ram that was burning a tranny every 30k than that pile z71 the chev s do get the best mpg .

Edited by Ez ryder

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Just about every article concerning the 5.3 from 2000 right on through the now makes reference to it ........

Driving Impressions

As always, one major benefit of choosing Chevy's traditional full-size SUV is standard V8 power. And the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe's 5.3-liter V8 engine is certainly beefy enough to pull around a full complement of passengers and gear. It's also plenty smooth and refined. The standard six-speed automatic transmission gets the most out of the V8, with proper gear ratios both for hearty acceleration and quiet cruising. On the whole, the 2015 Tahoe's cabin is as hushed as a luxury car, especially on the highway.

We're less fond of the 2015 Tahoe's lazy responses to gas pedal inputs, a result of GM's efforts to calibrate the engine and transmission for maximum fuel mileage. With either two- or four-wheel drive, the 2015 Tahoe received an Edmunds.com "C" rating, due in part to the lethargic feel from behind the steering wheel. There's a noticeable delay when pressing on the gas pedal, whether you're trying to execute a pass at highway speeds or accelerate from a stop.

I guess i would rather have smooth shifting and increased fuel economy over a harsh shifting gas hog.  But then again I'm unemployed so taking it easy on things is my MO these days. :bc:  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

I guess i would rather have smooth shifting and increased fuel economy over a harsh shifting gas hog.  But then again I'm unemployed so taking it easy on things is my MO these days. :bc:  

applying the accelerator and then waiting for what seems like 4-5 seconds for the engine to rev and the truck to accelerate is not a good thing :lol: 

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

My wife totaled the Camry I bought from Xcrrrr and it had 227k or so on it. Was a damn nice car still and I have no doubt it would have gone another 100k or more.

Well , I started pulling the motor ....just getting lines and harness out of the way. Turbo and manifold are loose and waiting to be pulled. I'll just need to figure out if I am going out the top which is likely and if I'll pull the whole engine tranny and then take the tranny off on the bench. Should be pretty straight forward 

Did you end up buying her that Flex? 

Bold- 2 peas in a pod :lol::lmao:

Just now, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Did you end up buying her that Flex? 

Bold- 2 peas in a pod :lol::lmao:

No....no flex. Just been driving the tahoe that i dont have a payment on and enjoying that

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

applying the accelerator and then waiting for what seems like 4-5 seconds for the engine to rev and the truck to accelerate is not a good thing :lol: 

Well my truck has no lag. You push the accelerator and the motor revs instantly. And my rig is stock. No tuner. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Yeah my 2014 Silverado was awful...drove me nuts.

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Its just a really annoying quirk that Tom wont admit to lolz

I shots some video of my truck tonight.  30 to 50, 50 to 70, etc.  Are you prepared to back up the 4-5 second lag before the engine rev's you clown?

• Platinum Contributing Member

I sure his 4-5 second comment was Benperbole but mine definitley had a lag plus at highway speeds if you let off momentarily and then got back into there was a definite stumble. I'm pretty much a GM guy so no reason for me to make it up.

4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I shots some video of my truck tonight.  30 to 50, 50 to 70, etc.  Are you prepared to back up the 4-5 second lag before the engine rev's you clown?

I believe I said "what seems like 4-5 seconds" ......and it seems the rest of the forum has experienced the same thing myself and every auto magazine have