Check your account email address ×

Do you guys prep your trails like this?

Snake

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Here they pave over them for bikes, after they had been sled trails for years, and try to get the sleds kicked off them.  

This is Norther Maine, all the bike baths are in Southern Maine, or what we like to call North Massachusetts.

Just now, Snake said:

This is Norther Maine, all the bike baths are in Southern Maine, or what we like to call North Massachusetts.

You spelled Massholechusetts wrong.  

The club I'm a member of struggles with getting younger members involved.  

I think the biggest thing we have going against us is the mentality that the groomer will level out ripped and plowed fields until there is enough snow.  

It hasn't worked for the last 20+ years, so who the hell wants to ride the trails?  The clubs a county over disk a 10-15 foot wide path and roll it where they run through fields.  

MN trails dont need that type of prep ......what they do need is a lot of tree clearing every fall. I never trail rode all that much but the last 4-5 years I got into it much more. I should have volunteered to help more and if I was still home I certainly would be by this point. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
26 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You spelled Massholechusetts wrong.  

The club I'm a member of struggles with getting younger members involved.  

I think the biggest thing we have going against us is the mentality that the groomer will level out ripped and plowed fields until there is enough snow.  

It hasn't worked for the last 20+ years, so who the hell wants to ride the trails?  The clubs a county over disk a 10-15 foot wide path and roll it where they run through fields.  

We are mostly farm fields here and that's what we do when ever possible. Some times the farmers even do it for us.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We are mostly farm fields here and that's what we do when ever possible. Some times the farmers even do it for us.

We got shit tons of potato field in The County. Know all about it. :bc:

Our Alliance has the largest array of Grooming and Trail maintenance Equipment in the World, here's a few pics of just some of what they have..

The Sawyer County Snowmobile and ATV Alliance is a non-profit corporation made up of ten individual snowmobile and ATV clubs located throughout Sawyer County, Wisconsin. The purpose is to develop and maintain trails throughout the County and often in parts of surrounding counties.

The Sawyer County Snowmobile & ATV Alliance is the world’s largest single owner of trail grooming equipment. We build, maintain and groom over 600 miles of beautiful trails within the County. This is all done by volunteers who love the outdoors and encourage family outings on our trails.

sawyer-county-wi-37

Come to Sawyer County and let us show you why so many visitors return year after year to our area. We are proud of the job we do. Sawyer County is the place to be year round.

According to the readers of Snow Goer magazine, Wisconsin’s Northwoods is the best overall place in North America for Snowmobile trail riding and family snowmobiling. In addition to winning the Best Trail Area and Best Area Catering To Families categories, the Northwoods tied for second with the Yellowstone area in voting for Best Overall Snowmobiling Area!

If you love the sports of Snowmobiling or ATV riding, come see what the combination of our snowmobile and ATV clubs do!

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

Edited by XCR1250

14 hours ago, bussman said:

Same here. We pregroom if we can with a cultimulcher. 

When we used to have a trail going across the home farm, I'd run out after fall tillage with a 45 foot land roller and roll a path down.  Don't have that trail there anymore.  I need to find more time to help with club stuff.

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

When we used to have a trail going across the home farm, I'd run out after fall tillage with a 45 foot land roller and roll a path down.  Don't have that trail there anymore.  I need to find more time to help with club stuff.

Last year, again, with Scotty, we cut a 1 mile reroute through the woods. We had general guidance but the trail was 'up to us'. It was fun to lay it out, cut it, and ride it in the winter.

MdmNNhaMsF5M47T-ChmqfQQL-6J_192e73BB8APQ

FCC6TA6FrrUIMfkNi4n-xEpK6og8z8Ym6mdMhoIp

4eoNUKrqI6XPHWV5IMV6x8LNA3idGWmVNVHc2gS0

Rzz8-BPi4AQ3pWw27hD7jtp7MU5dpcfVN6dcowRF

4 hours ago, Kev144 said:

Doesn't field riding get boring? :dunno: 

If that's all it is yes, but that's the same if you're forever twisting back and forth through the woods. I like the places that have both. We are 75% fields though. One thing about groomed fields is with open views you can take 90mph corners hugging the inside. Speed wise if groomed it gets crazy fast. Jumping roads is fun too. 

31 minutes ago, bussman said:

If that's all it is yes, but that's the same if you're forever twisting back and forth through the woods. I like the places that have both. We are 75% fields though. One thing about groomed fields is with open views you can take 90mph corners hugging the inside. Speed wise if groomed it gets crazy fast. Jumping roads is fun too. 

Who's sled are you borrowing to do 90mph,  period? 

I didn't snap any pics but just yesterday, Jeeping around Pittsburg they had several graders out in the sticks. They do more to those dirt roads every year than my home town ever thinks of doing. Loggers get shit done.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 9/3/2017 at 0:39 PM, racinfarmer said:

Our trails still have corn, soybeans, and hay on them.  

:bc:  The section I take care of I set the flail mower pretty low to knock off any high spots.   In the chiseled areas I run a cultipacker over it to take the sharpness down a bit. 

Edited by Highmark