Check your account email address ×

GM and Ram going aluminum

Poor sludgy. All the bitching he has done over Fords aluminum trucks and it looks like GM and Ram will be following suit :bc: Ford leads the way once again while the rest try to catch up. 

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140219/OEM01/140219837/gm-readying-aluminum-body-trucks-by-late-2018-report-says

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/05/06/fiat-chrysler-ram/8748657/

Aluminum in the bed is dumb. Other than that I just thought it was hilarious that Ford used all that aluminium to be the same weight as a chevy. They used it to cover up their poor structural engineering.

if GM goes to a lot of aluminum they will be significantly lighter than Ford again due to much advanced engineering.

• Gold Member
47 minutes ago, Sludgey said:

Aluminum in the bed is dumb. Other than that I just thought it was hilarious that Ford used all that aluminium to be the same weight as a chevy. They used it to cover up their poor structural engineering.

if GM goes to a lot of aluminum they will be significantly lighter than Ford again due to much advanced engineering.

Ford is easily lighter then a gm pickup.

24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Ford is easily lighter then a gm pickup.

Not by a lot. 4 or 5 hundred pounds I think. Sludgy says it's because Chevey is engineered better , truth is Chev are built lighter because they are built cheaper lol. 

Edited by Ebsell

52 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Bad news for us independents .

It is hard for us little guys to keep making these huge investments to work on these vehicles.

We paid like 10 or 15k for some dent puller that collects dust in a corner .  Toss the door / fender/ hood or whatever and put a new one on is how it's gone so far.

Just now, Sal Rosenberg said:

We paid like 10 or 15k for some dent puller that collects dust in a corner .  Toss the door / fender/ hood or whatever and put a new one on is how it's gone so far.

:bc:

Yup, we just replace it.

We can't afford to have a 10 k dust collector.

I don't how much you are going to do with say an aluminum hood anyway.

Most younger guys I've seen can't bump a metal panel. They are fillers .

I have heard all kinds of numbers on the investment of getting the f150 certification.

40, 50, 60 thousand????

Idk. We would have to fix a shit load of f150 for that.  I'm thinking any kind of a hard hit is going to be totaled anyway.

51 minutes ago, Cold War said:

:bc:

Yup, we just replace it.

We can't afford to have a 10 k dust collector.

I don't how much you are going to do with say an aluminum hood anyway.

Most younger guys I've seen can't bump a metal panel. They are fillers .

I have heard all kinds of numbers on the investment of getting the f150 certification.

40, 50, 60 thousand????

Idk. We would have to fix a shit load of f150 for that.  I'm thinking any kind of a hard hit is going to be totaled anyway.

Panels are all made to be replaced. Faster and cheaper in the long run 

1 hour ago, Ebsell said:

Not by a lot. 4 or 5 hundred pounds I think. Sludgy says it's because Chevey is engineered better , truth is Chev are built lighter because they are built cheaper lol. 

In comparable models it's only around 70-90 lbs difference.

where people get confused is when Ford says they dropped 500-700 lbs. Which they did, but GM was way lighter than Ford to start with 

4 hours ago, Ebsell said:

Poor sludgy. All the bitching he has done over Fords aluminum trucks and it looks like GM and Ram will be following suit :bc: Ford leads the way once again while the rest try to catch up. 

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140219/OEM01/140219837/gm-readying-aluminum-body-trucks-by-late-2018-report-says

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/05/06/fiat-chrysler-ram/8748657/

These are very old articles. GM will be going to a mixed metal design that will be lighter than current models but also much more durable. 

• Gold Member
31 minutes ago, Sludgey said:

High country isnt even close to as nice and even close to same features and comforts as a platinum.  A high country is like a lariat which is about 400 lbs difference.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/2015-ford-f150-ecoboost-vs-2015-chevy-silverado-v8-54175.html?page=3

• Gold Member

Here are the weights of a lariat and ltz certified scales from putc max tow show down.  The f150 in equal form is at least 400 lbs lighter then a comparable model chevy or gmc....  But gm doesnt make anything close to the luxury and features as a platinum or limited ford.  Gm's topped out model is equvalent to a no optioned lariat.

image.png