Check your account email address ×

Gingrich: 'Normal white Americans ... don't understand being black in America'

'It is more dangerous to be black in America'

UPDATED 4:09 PM EDT Jul 08, 2016
Newt Gingrich, January 2015
Scott Olson/Getty Images

WASHINGTON (CNN) —Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Friday that "normal white Americans" don't understand "being black in America."

"It took me a long time, and a number of people talking to me through the years, to get a sense of this: If you are a normal white American, the truth is you don't understand being black in America and you instinctively under-estimate the level of discrimination and the level of additional risk," he said Friday on CNN Political Commentator Van Jones' Facebook Live stream.

Jones and Gingrich discussed this past week's shootings in Dallas, Texas; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; and near Minneapolis, Minnesota. Five Dallas police officers were shot and killed Thursday night as hundreds protested the back-to-back police shooting deaths of two African-American men earlier in the week.

Gingrich, who is among those being considered as Donald Trump's runningmate, said white parents do not have to teach their children how to interact with police the way black parents do.

"It is more dangerous to be black in America," he said. "It is more dangerous in that they are substantially more likely to end up in a situation where the police don't respect you and you could easily get killed. And sometimes for whites it difficult to appreciate how real that is and how it's an everyday danger."

The former Georgia congressman also spoke about how many people don't understand how dangerous it is to be a police officer today.

"Every time you walk up to a car you could be killed. Every time you go into a building where there's a robbery you can be killed," Gingrich said. "Police lead a life that is as much on the front line of saving civilization as our military but we don't quite have the same sense of awe sense of respect, and yet they put their life on the line every day."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Poignant words from Gingrich......should be interesting to hear the reaction to him saying them. :bc:

I hope the Donald picks him to br his running mate.

• Like 1

• Gold Member

The time has come for a no bullshit conversation on the status of the races without being called 1: a racist or 2: a race-baiter.  No doubt both sides will have scathing words for the other but its necessary and long overdue. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mainecat said:

I have been saying trump needs a normal person for vp. Newt is far from normal but I agree with him 

Who is a normal person in your view....the guy that makes your Italian Hoagies down at the the deli?

I listened to an hour of Newt speaking at an engagement on NPR this week. He is very smart and mostly electable. I dont support some of his ideas but I dont think he is as bad as most

• Like 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I listened to an hour of Newt speaking at an engagement on NPR this week. He is very smart and mostly electable. I dont support some of his ideas but I dont think he is as bad as most

Well look who it is....and yeah Newt makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Biggie Smails

2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

He just did a FB Live thing with Van Jones today about this race shit :guzzle: I called Newt for Trumps VP pick 10 months ago :) 

BS, where's the link.

Edited by 2strokemerc

6 minutes ago, Momorider said:

He just did a FB Live thing with Van Jones today about this race shit :guzzle: I called Newt for Trumps VP pick 10 months ago :) 

:bs::lies:

I supported Newts run for the white house in 2012, he is smartest man in the room.

The media buried him before he ever got going.

If he steps up again, they will do the same.

Once they start going after his marriage and family again ...........I bet he will bow out again.

Most can't stand watching the ones they love being tore apart in public.

46 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I supported Newts run for the white house in 2012, he is smartest man in the room.

Once they start going after his marriage and family again ...........I bet he will bow out again.

They can run as the Six Wives team :) 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Bingo.  Yes, he may be the smartest man in the room, but the media knows how to break him.

7 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Bingo.  Yes, he may be the smartest man in the room, but the media knows how to break him.

I think Newt is beyond being intimidated by the media and it's all old news that has been beaten to death. :bc: