Check your account email address ×

Trump isn't doing his job

TRUMP NOT DOING HIS JOB? PRESIDENT BLAMES DEMOCRATS FOR EMPTY POSITIONS, BUT WON’T NAME NOMINEES

BY AIDAN QUIGLEY ON 6/5/17 AT 1:02 PM 

Democrats Reach Filibuster Threshold in Judge Gorsuch Supreme Court Vo

President Donald Trump blasted Democrats Monday for “taking forever” to approve Trump appointees, including ambassadors, despite moving historically slow in nominating appointees.

“Dems are taking forever to approve my people, including Ambassadors. They are nothing but OBSTRUCTIONISTS! Want approvals,” he tweeted, mentioning Fox News’ “Fox and Friends” in his tweet. Former Trump aide David Bossie said the confirmation process "has to move at a quicker pace" during an appearance on Fox and Friends Monday morning. Bossie was discussing the U.S. Ambassadorship to the U.K., a position for which Trump has not yet made a nomination. Trump announced his intention to nominate New York Jets owner Woody Johnson for the position in January but has not formally nominated Johnson.    

While the Senate has taken longer to confirm Trump's nominees than those of previous presidents, Trump is way behind his predecessors in the speed of his nominations. Of 559 key positions requiring Senate confirmation identified by the Washington Post and the nonprofit Partnership for Public Service, 442 have no nominees. These positions include Cabinet secretaries, deputy and assistant secretaries, agency heads and other important leadership positions, representing just under half of the approximately 1,2000 positions requiring Senate confirmation.  

Subscribe to Newsweek from $1 per week

Trump has fallen well behind other presidents in nominating appointees for these positions. As of May 20, 35 of Trump’s nominees have been confirmed and 59 have been sent but not yet confirmed by the Senate. At the same time in Barack Obama’s first term, 130 nominees were confirmed with 89 awaiting confirmation. George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush all had many more nominees confirmed and nominated.

New York Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer, the Senate minority leader, blamed Trump for the slow pace of confirmations. 

"If the President is looking for someone to blame on the slow pace of confirmations, he needs only to look in the mirror," Schumer said in a statement Monday. "President Trump ought to roll up his sleeves and get to work rather than pointing false fingers of blame."

But the president does have a point regarding confirmation speed, as the average time of confirmation for Trump nominees is higher than all of the past five presidents. The average time to confirmation is 41 days for Trump's nominees. For Obama, the average time was 32 days and the average time for a Bush appointee was 20 days. 

The fact that key positions remain empty, especially in departments and agencies that deal with counter-terrorism efforts, has gained increased attention following terrorist attacks in England. Many under secretary and assistant secretary positions in the departments of defense, state and homeland security remain unfilled with no nominees. Along with the high-profile position of FBI director, which has been without a nominee since James Comey was fired May 9, deputy secretary positions remain open in nine departments, with five having no nominee.

In April, Arizona Republican Senator John McCain expressed concerns about the lack of nominees in the Pentagon, saying Defense Secretary James Mattis is “all by himself.” “It hurts the ability of the Pentagon to function without those people in their positions,” McCain said, according to Real Clear Politics.

Five of Trump’s 11 ambassadorial nominees have been confirmed, with 56 empty positions to countries to which the United States exchanges an ambassador, according to the American Foreign Service Association.

“It’d be great to be able to confirm some more nominees, so I’d love for them to speed up the pace,” Texas Senator John Cornyn told Real Clear Politics in April. “I just don’t know how ready they were for the transition.”

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Petty shit in the grand scheme of things :news:

Yea tweet shit posting, attacking the mayor of a city in another country and golfing clearly are all higher priority than appointing ambassadors and other governmental positions.

:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

My god you guys gets sooo worked up over shit :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

you're confusing "worked up" with "laughing our asses off"

again

Dumbski :kissmyass:  FSCE Dumpers 

9 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

you're confusing "worked up" with "laughing our asses off"

again

Sure just like how you come here to lower your blood pressure. LOL Guys like you and Slope are basically addicts to this political arguing shit and you "need it" in your daily lives. It's fucking weird but hey, whatever floats your boat. There's just so much more to life then playing in the mud with what Politicians and lawyers say. 

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Sure just like how you come here to lower your blood pressure. LOL Guys like you and Slope are basically addicts to this political arguing shit and you "need it" in your daily lives. It's fucking weird but hey, whatever floats your boat. There's just so much more to life then playing in the mud with what Politicians and lawyers say. 

As you keep posting on here :snack:

Just now, Skidooski said:

yeah you're rarely in here yourself, huh?

5 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

yeah you're rarely in here yourself, huh?

I come here to laugh at guys like Slope not so much to argue endlessly like some here do. For me it's like watching the Jerry Springer show when I read some of these guys posts in here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skidooski said:

I come here to laugh at guys like Slope not so much to argue endlessly like some here do. For me it's like watching the Jerry Springer show when I read some of these guys posts in here. 

well now you know how we feel about you and others :lol:

Just now, Snoslinger said:

well now you know how we feel about you and others :lol:

So you're just going to try and argue with me on this? :lmao: 

Libs here are whacked out hypocritical fuck heads.  And yeah...TRIGGERED too.  It's all slipping away isn't it?  Reality is coming home to stay and the marbles are leaking out of your heads as if somebody pulled the cork. 

Hey...good luck with all that!

35 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

trump won't name nominees because he's a paranoid piece of shit. he's trying to keep the circle small for control. one look at all the leaks and that ain't even working. what a fucking circus. 

I'm finding it bizarre I am having to ask you a question for the fifth time that should really be easy to answer:

In your opinion, would Sanders have beaten Trump?

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

lmao

This is what a dumpster fire looks like Wolfie

FFS pull your head outta your ass

It really is bizarre :lmao: