Check your account email address ×

epoxy counters anyone?

4 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Looks good.  I want to do some concrete counters with some embedded objects and some fiber optics.  :bc:

Neal

possible to do anything. lights , objects, etc, no problem. remember bars used to put name plates, coins, bottle caps, etc in the clear. that was nasty stinky shit , this stuff came from stone coat counters and is very friendly to use. not much smell and 2 hr work time. torch the bubbles

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Looks great.  Curious what technique you used.  I haven't done epoxy, but did make a concrete sink a while back.

oCgz3ct.png

i had to build the base. 3/4 sanded plywood screwed and glued. it was an inch and a half so i ripped the edges off a 2x4 and capped with that. car bondo to fix the holes , seams , and cracks. it came with a black base coat since i was doing black. the black has black metal flake all through and the marbling is white metal flake. pour the black , trowel out, use a brush to mush into surface, level and pop bubbles with propane torch. pull tape off edges at an hour and 15 minutes. smear edge so it follows. the swirl was just my own method. no 2 will be the same. stone coat counters

Edited by sleepybrew

Just now, Deephaven said:

How hard is the finish?  I assume pretty weather sealed?  I need something for outside...

it will be hard like a bar in a few days. not sure about exterior but if prepped right i don't see why not

Just now, Deephaven said:

Thanks.  The base is actually just pine 2x4's as it was a temp try...but stayed for a while. 

the style of that sink is killer. you could epoxy it if you wanted to. that is the nice thing. i can sand it and re pour any color i want. 

3 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

it will be hard like a bar in a few days. not sure about exterior but if prepped right i don't see why not

Would be covered, just wanting to build something unique to put next to my grill and such 

the style of that sink is killer. you could epoxy it if you wanted to. that is the nice thing. i can sand it and re pour any color i want. 

The sink is clear epoxied as concrete is super porous without...which I learned, lol.

11 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

possible to do anything. lights , objects, etc, no problem. remember bars used to put name plates, coins, bottle caps, etc in the clear. that was nasty stinky shit , this stuff came from stone coat counters and is very friendly to use. not much smell and 2 hr work time. torch the bubbles

This the stuff you used??

https://www.stonecoatcountertops.com/stone-coat-gallon-kit/

https://www.stonecoatcountertops.com/products/countertop-kits/

Have an aircraft epoxy floor... It can be damaged....

Hardness v. Scratch Resistance would be major question..

Resale might be questionable down the 🛣️ road

Me, solid laminate, safer long term bet.

Edited by ICG
Spelling

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

lowe's refused to sell me custom counter top , so i built it from sanded plywood, screwed and glued, capped edge , and bondo to fix imperfections. poured black with black metal flake in it, swirled white metal flake through it. clear coat last night.my first one ever , i'm happy with it

IMG_7179.thumb.jpg.2ff0003142dae6f5989489b206cde5eb.jpgIMG_7185.thumb.jpg.b8250c59fdd667adcfbabb94a9d7b3bc.jpgIMG_7184.thumb.jpg.d5fae1cd6949ad7f89f8cb26582bc5a5.jpgIMG_7181.thumb.jpg.27dda25dfff17979cfaac148e59025cd.jpg

That's damn nice!

10 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I made a mobile bar for my fiancés wedding business and used epoxy over a pine slab. I didn’t paint the slab first which fucked up the edge and I had to paint and repour it. Exact same amount of every color in both pours but came out way different as you can see

IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1938.jpeg

endless ideas for it

nice . figured i wasn't alone

Done a few now.  Definitely like the dirty pour over flicking and dripping the color.  I would stay away from the top coat they sell. Hard as concrete but it looks like hell.  I had to sand that shit off it and re pour it,  looked so bad. 

• Like 1