Check your account email address ×

Another Polaris recall - only use 91+ E10 gas or you’ll die by fire 🔥

33 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

there is no downside to running with ethanol fuel, you just dont want to store anything with it.

ALL fuel here is mass is 10%eth by law, so i guess i'm just used to it

That's been our way of dealing with it ... if we HAVE to put in ethanol fuel we want to make sure we burn through it and don't store the sled any longer than necessary with it in the tank.  Fortunately for us around here, 91-non ethanol is pretty common and what we use in all of our off road stuff, including mowers, chainsaws, etc. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

there is no downside to running with ethanol fuel, you just dont want to store anything with it.

Storing is a big part of running fuel in a snowmobile 

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

That's been our way of dealing with it ... if we HAVE to put in ethanol fuel we want to make sure we burn through it and don't store the sled any longer than necessary with it in the tank.  Fortunately for us around here, 91-non ethanol is pretty common and what we use in all of our off road stuff, including mowers, chainsaws, etc. 

you'll actually make a bit more power with the ethanol too if you can tune for it. when rules allow, we add a fair amount of pure eth to the race fuel and have measured the gains on the dyno and track.
for anything carbed, we usually add about 2 jet sizes to compensate for it.
storage is a month max in my experience. 

the 2 best fuel treatments i've tested to stop the phase separation issues are ethanol shield, and startron

Edited by Tommcat
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

you'll actually make a bit more power with the ethanol too. when rules allow, we add a fair amount of pure eth to the race fuel and have measured the gains on the dyno and track.
for anything carbed, we usually add about 2 jet sizes to compensate for it.
storage is a month max in my experience. 

the 2 best fuel treatments i've tested to stop the phase separation issues are ethanol shield, and startron

At the Nascar races the fuel is no more than 2 weeks old from the refinery and we need to check it daily and Nascar gets a fuel sample daily.

The point where you get into trouble with ethanol fuel is old or extended storage periods.  I can see issues with guys storing their sleds with ethanol and not pumping it out and putting fresh fuel in.  Even treated fuel with a stabilizer I wouldn't trust.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

At the Nascar races the fuel is no more than 2 weeks old from the refinery and we need to check it daily and Nascar gets a fuel sample daily.

The point where you get into trouble with ethanol fuel is old or extended storage periods.  I can see issues with guys storing their sleds with ethanol and not pumping it out and putting fresh fuel in.  Even treated fuel with a stabilizer I wouldn't trust.

And people seem to think it's always fresh when they pump it at the station.

Even keeping sleds outside overnight you can get condensation in a tank.  It's just not great to use and it's heavily subsidized for dumb political/$$$ reasons.  I'd rather pay the farmers to grow food instead of shitty ass fuel.  We have plenty of oil 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tommcat said:

buddy of mine has two N/A drag cars and a bike than run exclusively on eth, and make great power but were built for it from the start.  each get completely drained and cleaned top to bottom of it between races.  storage is the issue regarding separation.

for those following along that want to do a test... take a glass jar, put E85 in it with a lid, set it on a shelf for six months and watch the 'water'/fuel literally separate.  there's powa in the corn squeezins for a limited amount of time.

if not for subsidies, you wouldn't likely see ethanol based fuels.  but that's an entirely different discussion. 

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/ZCW00:CBOT?hl=en&window=MAX

click max on the chart... ;)

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

for those following along that want to do a test... take a glass jar, put E85 in it with a lid, set it on a shelf for six months and watch the 'water'/fuel literally separate. 

Then do like jimwit and skim the gas off the top and enjoy yourself a corn cocktail.

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Then do like jimwit and skim the gas off the top and enjoy yourself a corn cocktail.

you really think he has enough brain cells to skim the gas off the top??

• Like 1

one other thing i'll throw out there for the guys that may be just starting to see ethanol in their area, and we learned here the hard way, it is a great cleaner.

and the downside to that, is that tanks and lines that have never had it before will get all those years of crap cleaned off the inside when they initially start to switch over to it. and that sludge goes right through the pumps to your car, truck, sled or whatever.

after switching over, stations were seeing massive amounts of sleds go down shortly after fueling up.

and, it will also clean out the entire inner lining of any older fuel line produced before ethanol fuel existed, putting a nice pile of black goo in your pump, filter, injectors etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

one other thing i'll throw out there for the guys that may be just starting to see ethanol in their area, and we learned here the hard way, it is a great cleaner.

and the downside to that, is that tanks and lines that have never had it before will get all those years of crap cleaned off the inside when they initially start to switch over to it. and that sludge goes right through the pumps to your car, truck, sled or whatever.

after switching over, stations were seeing massive amounts of sleds go down shortly after fueling up.

and, it will also clean out the entire inner lining of any older fuel line produced before ethanol fuel existed, putting a nice pile of black goo in your pump, filter, injectors etc

On top of that, it really likes water.  It will pull moisture from the air.  Once the water concentration is high enough the water and ethanol combine and fall to the bottom, creating a mix of corrosive shit, and super low octane fuel floating above it.

I've seen it eat through the bottom of a 2bbl marine carb, to the point that fuel was just running onto the intake.

It also destroys fiberglass fuel tanks in boats, and aircraft

Edited by krom