Check your account email address ×

problem with 2000 xcr 8

kinda weird how this happening , need some thoughts sled started running rough and wanted to stall out , running super rich , if i turn the fuel off it starts to run better , to al most normal , as soon as i turn the fuel back on its back to pig rich and wont run ,  now it seems like all three are flooding , i can smell the fuel ,, i tried running it out of fuel to see if something is stuck in the floats , no luck , tried several times , in about 10 minutes of trying stuff , it burned almost 5 gallons of fuel , is it possible the fuel pump suction line if the diaphragm is damaged to cause this , or is it all needles and seats or floats .gonna go out check on stuff later , just wanted some opinions

Sounds like needle and seats.  If you went through 5 gallons of fuel in 10 minutes fuel should just about be running out of the exhaust pipes.

Pull the plugs + see which cylinder is running rich.

Above comments about needle + seat is a good starting point.

A leaking float will behave the same

It could be floats in carbs are sinking from being cracked or having holes, or the float valves are leaking.  But it could also definitely be fuel pump letting fuel into the crank.  I'd start by checking that first because it's easy.  Then look at the carbs.  

I can't think of anything else besides those two things that would cause excessive fuel into the motor.

• Like 1

didnt get to it yesterday, wife got diag with cancer at xmas  ,, she had a me  me day ,,will update asp  , might be the pump , it happened like hitting a switch, and all cyl are fouling

The crankcase is still divided into three sections by cylinder and sealed off from each other.  So I'd think it would still mostly affect the cylinder the pulse line runs off.  But I'd check it anyway.  5 gallons of fuel is alot.

8 hours ago, polaris7541 said:

didnt get to it yesterday, wife got diag with cancer at xmas  ,, she had a me  me day ,,will update asp  , might be the pump , it happened like hitting a switch, and all cyl are fouling

Sorry to hear about your wife.  Hopefully treatable best of luck 

update last year i replaced the slides well i must have not tightened the screws enough all the needles came out, got it back together and now i have fuel coming out of one of the vent lines going to the air box,i did clean them since i had them out , can those floats be adjusted,

Edited by polaris7541

6 hours ago, polaris7541 said:

update last year i replaced the slides well i must have not tightened the screws enough all the needles came out, got it back together and now i have fuel coming out of one of the vent lines going to the air box,i did clean them since i had them out , can those floats be adjusted,

Yes they can be reset to Polaris specifications.

Glad to see you appear to have things figured out and back to good with the XCR.  Also, hoping things go well for your wife - sorry to hear the crappy news she received.

6 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Glad to see you appear to have things figured out and back to good with the XCR.  Also, hoping things go well for your wife - sorry to hear the crappy news she received.

thanks

15 hours ago, Doug said:

Best of luck on the surgery.  Keep us posted. 

was a total C F  what could go wrong did ,, we both made it alive my wife more than me ,, after yesterday i have totally lost my faith in the up in coming medical world , because if they stop to google the cure you die, they had to do one procedure 2 times, other than that shes doing ok , on norcos  doc said she thinks she got it all out , that statement was so reassuring lymph nodes looked fine

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, polaris7541 said:

was a total C F  what could go wrong did ,, we both made it alive my wife more than me ,, after yesterday i have totally lost my faith in the up in coming medical world , because if they stop to google the cure you die, they had to do one procedure 2 times, other than that shes doing ok , on norcos  doc said she thinks she got it all out , that statement was so reassuring lymph nodes looked fine

Best wishes on the upcoming recovery. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 1/26/2024 at 10:16 AM, polaris7541 said:

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  I'm dealing with this too 

• Sad 1