Check your account email address ×

U.S. economy booms with 3.3% growth in final quarter of 2023

• Platinum Contributing Member
22 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9524c0le70mvhnjavsa2

where's this horrible economy the Trumpers keep blathering about? 

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/25/us-gdp-fourth-quarter-economy-growth

how inconvenient... :crazy:

Huh.....imagine you cheering a $1.8 trillion budget deficit.  So much for you preaching how conservative you are.  :lol:  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Huh.....imagine you cheering a $1.8 trillion budget deficit.  So much for you preaching how conservative you are.  :lol:  

yet trump spent just as badly yet somehow it gets forgotten.  they are both dems when it comes to spending.  

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

It's a good thing consumers have plastic to keep those fake gdp numbers humming along.

US household debt increased by 1.3% to $17.29 trillion in the last quarter. The resilient consumer has kept the US economic engine running, but it's coming at a big cost: Americans are piling up record credit card balances, and more and more are falling behind on those payments.Nov 7, 2023

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

yet trump spent just as badly yet somehow it gets forgotten.  they are both dems when it comes to spending.  

Absolutely.   Nobody forgot it and often discuss that was an issue he failed on.  Trump should have shut the govt down and stood firm on spending reductions.  Reducing the growth of spending was not enough.

Looking at a Presidents deficit record isn't as simple as most think but then again most can't think beyond what their limited brain function allows.

One way to measure how much President Trump borrowed is by estimating the debt accumulated over his presidency. Over the course of President Trump’s four years in office, the gross national debt grew from $19.95 trillion to $27.75 trillion – a $7.8 trillion increase (debt held by the public – the more economically-meaningful measure of debt – grew by $7.2 trillion over this period). However, much of this borrowing was due to policies put in place before President Trump took office or due to unexpected changes in circumstance. Debt was already projected to grow by about $3 trillion for the four years of his term when President Trump took office, and some of the additional debt accrued was also the direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic and recession. It’s also important to note that the government was holding an unusually large $1.6 trillion in cash when President Trump left office, which inflated the growth in debt relative to the deficit run during his time in office.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Absolutely.   Nobody forgot it and often discuss that was an issue he failed on.  Trump should have shut the govt down and stood firm on spending reductions.  Reducing the growth of spending was not enough.  

its forgotten every day by Trump culters.   2 old shit presidents who would do the world a favor if they would kick off.  

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

its forgotten every day by Trump culters.   2 old shit presidents who would do the world a favor if they would kick off.  

See edit. 

27 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yeah that’s it. You MAGA morons should just step back and look at who your covering for.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Haley said she’s gonna fix the economy. She also said 65 is too young to retire on SS. She’s clueless regarding Social Security….really fuckin dumb.

While we are far, far below the likes of Canada and other "western" industrialized countries, American spending as a % of GDP continues on an upward trend.  Much of course has to do with mandatory spending increases as our population ages.   

• Haha 1

Wisconsin retirement system had a return of 11.4% on the core fund and 22.2% on the variable for the year. Fuck yeah!!! I haven’t started drawing on the pension. That needs to change after looking my current annuity payout. :) 

17 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Wisconsin retirement system had a return of 11.4% on the core fund and 22.2% on the variable for the year. Fuck yeah!!! I haven’t started drawing on the pension. That needs to change after looking my current annuity payout. :) 

Is your pension a fixed amount (defined benefit) or defined contribution?   I would pick the latter only if I was in control of the investments.

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Is your pension a fixed amount (defined benefit) or defined contribution?   I would pick the latter only if I was in control of the investments.

Mixture of both. I can also take a lump sum payout from both. I’ve held off on applying for annuities due to tax considerations.