Check your account email address ×

U.P. trail conditions

• Gold Member

Oh if there was somewhere I could load up and go right now in N sconnie I would be a tipping machine.  I would love to throw some cash around and ride my snow machine.  I look forward to it so much all year!!!!  Fuck gonna have to talk to HSR and have him put the suicide hotline number on the homepage for all of us sad fuckers.....  

15 hours ago, Bontz said:

I feel for the business owners that rely on us sled heads for their winter income.  It's pretty depressing seeing the parking lots so empty this time of the year ... especially after the past several years where it was really good conditions.  One of our guys was talking to the owner at one of the hot spots up where we go, and he said it's not uncommon for a couple of his regular bartenders to clear $100K for the year, but that's because snowmobilers are so willing to spend money and leave good tips.  This year ... ugh, not so much.

It sucks - no doubt about it.  Hell even our Plan B is looking to be pretty questionable for next week :wall:  I'm not really looking to drive almost 6 hours for less than 200 miles on the sled, and even less desirable if the conditions suck.

One of my favorite places to stay said when we cancelled this weekends trip yesterday, that he’s never gone this late into a season without seeing a sled.  Tough year for the businesses up north for sure… 

11 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

One of my favorite places to stay said when we cancelled this weekends trip yesterday, that he’s never gone this late into a season without seeing a sled.  Tough year for the businesses up north for sure… 

The wife and I have been trying to eat out more, just to help keep the lights on for them.  We’re rotating through places that are normally packed this time of year.  It’s scary quiet in our area.

Winter’s not over yet, keep those sleds full of gas and the trailers ready to roll.  With such a strange year, we could all be ditch banging in Iowa on May 15. 😂

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

The wife and I have been trying to eat out more, just to help keep the lights on for them.  We’re rotating through places that are normally packed this time of year.  It’s scary quiet in our area.

Winter’s not over yet, keep those sleds full of gas and the trailers ready to roll.  With such a strange year, we could all be ditch banging in Iowa on May 15. 😂

Yeah with the way my work schedule has shifted recently, the little woman and I are talking about making some runs up north in coming weeks regardless of sledding conditions.  
Like a buddy of mine said recently, he could sit in one of our local suburban bar/grills and not know a soul, but up north we would most likely know half or more of the patrons at our sledding destinations.

This winter will take out plenty of businesses in the UP for sure..  Many pull more cash flow in the 4 months(snowmobile AND SKIING) then the entire rest of the year.. Sucks..  Going to be tough for many

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

I'm still holding out a little hope. The weather guy I follow on YouTube has eluded to a pattern shift into February meaning more moisture in our area. Maybe I'm just naive lol.

1 minute ago, Sled_Hed said:

I'm still holding out a little hope. The weather guy I follow on YouTube has eluded to a pattern shift into February meaning more moisture in our area. Maybe I'm just naive lol.

What form of moisture? :read:

18 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I'll look in my crystal ball and get back to you.

:thumbsup:  The theme that keeps repeating here in the last year or two is the amount of rain that's falling mid winter..

Sure hope we get something yet this year, but I hold about 1%  hope..  This warm stretch is check mate IMO

5 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

:thumbsup:  The theme that keeps repeating here in the last year or two is the amount of rain that's falling mid winter..

Sure hope we get something yet this year, but I hold about 1%  hope..  This warm stretch is check mate IMO

I do remember a few years ago a similar scenario where we hardly groomed until late February and March and then we used 2 barrels of fuel in March. 

• Like 1

Plan C .... say the hell with it, and save the gas and lodging money for another time.  My nephew and his buddy decided to go up anyway, so it'll be interesting to see what vehicle gets more miles once they're up there ... the truck, or the sleds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Plan C .... say the hell with it, and save the gas and lodging money for another time.  My nephew and his buddy decided to go up anyway, so it'll be interesting to see what vehicle gets more miles once they're up there ... the truck, or the sleds.

$100 on the bold - I know I’ve saved over $3k this year already.

• Like 3

The local business will be happy to see anyone truck, motorcycle, side by side. Heading up next week for some ice fishing..  I usually have 100+ by now at the cabin.. I think we have 8"  maybe none by the time I get UP. :whatever2:

Just talked to a guy in my club who drove UP there last night.  Says he’s got about 90 miles on today just north of Gogebic - they trailered from the south side in fear of how the lake looked.  Some riding good, some not so good.  I guess at this point I’ll pass until things turn around, which may be a while from the looks of the forecast.

Edited by Mag6240

Want to go as bad as anybody.  Couple guys want to trailer up to Mass City Monday.  With temps in the mid to upper 30's and only dropping to the mid 20's at night and grooming suspended in most areas I'll just wait.

If this was the end of March and one last ride well maybe.  Not riding on end of season conditions at the end of January.

• Sad 1

Just now, Doug said:

Want to go as bad as anybody.  Couple guys want to trailer up to Mass City Monday.  With temps in the mid to upper 30's and only dropping to the mid 20's and night and grooming suspended in most areas I'll just wait.

If this was the end of March and one last ride well maybe.  Not riding on end of season conditions at the end of January.

Let’s just hope this doesn’t turn into the actual end of the season… 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Just talked to a guy in my club who drove UP there last night.  Says he’s got about 90 miles on today just north of Gogebic - they trailered from the south side in fear of how the lake looked.  Some riding good, some not so good.  I guess at this point I’ll pass until things turn around, which may be a while from the looks of the forecast.

Sounds somewhat similar to what a couple local guys are doing.  They went up early yesterday, staying at Krupp's, and decided to trailer north of Houghton.  It wasn't sounding real good.  My nephew and his buddy - I'll be curious what their report is later tonight and into tomorrow.  

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Sounds somewhat similar to what a couple local guys are doing.  They went up early yesterday, staying at Krupp's, and decided to trailer north of Houghton.  It wasn't sounding real good.  My nephew and his buddy - I'll be curious what their report is later tonight and into tomorrow.  

Read yesterday even around Houghton they pulled the groomers off because with the temps they were doing more damage than good.  Taking care of some projects around home to keep the schedule open for when the trails improve.

• Like 1

We were up there last week.  Rode Wakefield, Bergland, and Bruce early in the week and did Copper Harbor later in week.  I would bring plenty of carbides and hyfax if they want to think about riding.  Trail 3 was already done south of Twin Lakes.

I think the biggest bummer is the fact we could ride early in the week if we stayed north.  That was already fading by late week and I'd be shocked if it's rideable now.  Without the extended meltdown, it would have been easier to save the trails.

One oddball thing with the snow this season was the depth right next to the lake.  It often drops anytime you are close enough to see the water.  Those stretches actually had snow this year.

It was a real bummer to see some of our favorite places with empty parking lots.  We even went to an old place (Fishtales) with new owners on Gogebic.  The new owners changed the name to Finn and Feather?  I'm honestly not positive, but the food was damn good.  I sure hope they make it through this season.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, favoritos said:

We were up there last week.  Rode Wakefield, Bergland, and Bruce early in the week and did Copper Harbor later in week.  I would bring plenty of carbides and hyfax if they want to think about riding.  Trail 3 was already done south of Twin Lakes.

I think the biggest bummer is the fact we could ride early in the week if we stayed north.  That was already fading by late week and I'd be shocked if it's rideable now.  Without the extended meltdown, it would have been easier to save the trails.

One oddball thing with the snow this season was the depth right next to the lake.  It often drops anytime you are close enough to see the water.  Those stretches actually had snow this year.

It was a real bummer to see some of our favorite places with empty parking lots.  We even went to an old place (Fishtales) with new owners on Gogebic.  The new owners changed the name to Finn and Feather?  I'm honestly not positive, but the food was damn good.  I sure hope they make it through this season.

A few days after Christmas I drove from Charlevoix to Marquette and it was obviously a ghost town everywhere…I never thought it would be the same on Feb.1…feel awful for those business owners up there.