Check your account email address ×

the GD Soo...

19 minutes ago, Tripleflipper said:

Looks like a hockey game could break out at any minute

they're bringing in live entertainment during the plow breaks this year 

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2024 at 11:00 AM, Tripleflipper said:

Looks like a hockey game could break out at any minute

Friend of mine hates it when they do that on the track. She works at the pro shop at lssu and the whole town comes in the next week to get their skates sharpened because their blades got messed up from skating on that track 

11 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Friend of mine hates it when they do that on the track. She works at the pro shop at lssu and the whole town comes in the next week to get their skates sharpened because their blades got messed up from skating on that track 

prepare the JAG and your liver... I'm considering coming up for the race.  will pack the tow straps and am looking into a Sat phone due to our previous history of riding together.  is there a spare engine for the Jag we can strap to the back? 

On 1/17/2024 at 7:34 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

discuss... :news:

Why does Polaris have so many more wins than Arctic Cat?? 2 reasons

1. NSR clutch kits( not a single Polaris rider has been attacked by polar bears or wolves)

2. Brock and Bigfuse titanium wrist pins.

Game changers.

31 minutes ago, HSR said:

Why does Polaris have so many more wins than Arctic Cat?? 2 reasons

1. NSR clutch kits( not a single Polaris rider has been attacked by polar bears or wolves)

2. Brock and Bigfuse titanium wrist pins.

Game changers.

first of all it's NSP... https://www.facebook.com/NorthstarPerformance137/  :lmao:

1.  No one at the Soo or that races at a top level of anything outside of 407ft non sanctioned NH lawnmower races uses his shit.

2.  Carbon Fiber connecting rods are the new titanium wrist pins.

Right @Tommcat?

btw Tommy, are you done with @krom's and my ECU's yet?  :roflcrying: 

for the record... the wolves and polar bears / sat phone comment from lip shits may be one of the funniest f'ng things I've ever seen on a snowmobile forum.  hell, I still have my old avy picture from that lunacy on file.  :)

polar_bear_failure.jpg

37 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

first of all it's NSP... https://www.facebook.com/NorthstarPerformance137/  :lmao:

1.  No one at the Soo or that races at a top level of anything outside of 407ft non sanctioned NH lawnmower races uses his shit.

Right @Tommcat?

for the record... the wolves and polar bears / sat phone comment from lip shits may be one of the funniest f'ng things I've ever seen on a snowmobile forum.  hell, I still have my old avy picture from that lunacy on file.  :)

polar_bear_failure.jpg

This style:
th-2160354108.jpg.5ab14740c3890a523d68c9362092bbde.jpg

Or the even lighter weight version?
th-1903173638.jpg.9d1cb25ae1a86716fe7a89086b6f3684.jpg

Personally I think carbon fiber pistons are at least as important:

420640226_798149762352562_3443322709097584881_n.thumb.jpg.d316dfacc5f73b4c0c60b6197590fb8b.jpg

420685971_798149775685894_6013597136685411852_n.thumb.jpg.3a9a7b0a9bea29d301b2ebe2b46e6888.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krom said:

This style:
th-2160354108.jpg.5ab14740c3890a523d68c9362092bbde.jpg

Or the even lighter weight version?
th-1903173638.jpg.9d1cb25ae1a86716fe7a89086b6f3684.jpg

Personally I think carbon fiber pistons are at least as important:

420640226_798149762352562_3443322709097584881_n.thumb.jpg.d316dfacc5f73b4c0c60b6197590fb8b.jpg

420685971_798149775685894_6013597136685411852_n.thumb.jpg.3a9a7b0a9bea29d301b2ebe2b46e6888.jpg

unmatched durability  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Right @Tommcat?

polar_bear_failure.jpg

Technically, carbon fiber con rods are real, as are 3d printed rods and pistons. Titanium wrist pins however, are not.

In terms of ricks clutching, even on back lake, where he claims to dominate, nobody besides his buddy Lenn uses his clutching.  And lenns sled is the slowest poo every time it lines up. Everyone up there thinks he's a clown. 

And no ecu for you!

Edited by Tommcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

Technically, carbon fiber con rods are real, as are 3d printed rods and pistons. Titanium wrist pins however, are not.

In terms of ricks clutching, even on back lake, where he claims to dominate, nobody besides his buddy Lenn uses his clutching.  And lenns sled is the slowest poo every time it lines up. Everyone up there thinks he's a clown. 

And no ecu for you!

Cat tried carbon fiber pistons 30 years ago. Rick told them no good so they stopped 

26 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Cat tried carbon fiber pistons 30 years ago. Rick told them no good so they stopped 

NASA actually developed carbon pistons at one point, and showed significant gains in power and wear, but they did have limited ranges of use, along with big costs.

3 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

NASA actually developed carbon pistons at one point, and showed significant gains in power and wear, but they did have limited ranges of use, along with big costs.

Rick was the technical advisor on them. He has all the nasa hook ups. If I remember right cat ran into the same thing and scrapped the project. 

38 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

The piston pics above are supposed to be from that NASA experiment from decades ago.  IIRC they used the same manufacturing process as carbon carbon brake disks.

super technical write up on pistons:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19940031440/downloads/19940031440.pdf

Dumbed down (nowhere near far enough for jimwit, but the rest of us clowns will understand it)how its made on brembo carbon brake rotors:

That video is pretty old, and time doesn't stand still with tech, I'm sure that materials and the process has changed, but the most noticable changes are in the ventilation and mounting, no bolted hat, they spline on.  Here is a pic of a 2023 F1 setup:

Brembo_rear-details-A_F1-2023.png

For the more tech nerd among us carbon carbon brakes were developed for the concord, first used in F1 in the mid 70s by Brabham, the first car with carbon carbon brakes to win a race was Nelson Piquet driving a Brabham BT49B at Brazil in 1982. 

The caliper pictured above is machined from billet aluminum, and nickel plated (as are all brembo calipers for carbon carbon brakes)

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

Just now, Not greg b said:

Track is ready. Racing starts in about a week. 

IMG_3613.jpeg

Should be a good track this year as it was super cold for a while and no snow to insulate and keep it from freezing up. 

12 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Should be a good track this year as it was super cold for a while and no snow to insulate and keep it from freezing up. 

Hope the warm weather doesn't mess this up.. What a shit year for weather.  At least if a guy cant ride maybe watch some racing..

59 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Hope the warm weather doesn't mess this up.. What a shit year for weather.  At least if a guy cant ride maybe watch some racing..

The warm weather won’t hurt it. Usually when it is super cold during the race they go out there and salt the track with a salt truck to help the snow dust down. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The warm weather won’t hurt it. Usually when it is super cold during the race they go out there and salt the track with a salt truck to help the snow dust down. 

great... now just decide if I'm going to finish destroying the front end of the cattle ass, overheat a Polaris or swaddle a JAG like the baby Jesus

or, we can take the truck :(

25 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

great... now just decide if I'm going to finish destroying the front end of the cattle ass, overheat a Polaris or swaddle a JAG like the baby Jesus

or, we can take the truck :(

I doubt there will be rideable snow here in 48 hours. Turns out my friend’s brother in law won eagle river with Troy’s kid.