Check your account email address ×

SSFB weekend thread

SSFB

18 hours ago, Doug said:

The fuel sock is getting plugged and starting to starve the pump.  New fuel sock and you'll be fine.

Is this because of bad fuel or is it a bad factory fuel sock? Is there a better aftermarket fuel sock?

14 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Is this because of bad fuel or is it a bad factory fuel sock? Is there a better aftermarket fuel sock?

The sock is getting plugged and the pump is probably whining loud.  If you have some long pulls it may go into DET or you may get a low fuel pressure code.  The sock has a rather high micron so if you fill up at some of the small backwoods stations with dirt in the underground tanks it will clog up the sock quick.  2022 had the  most problem with this with to high of a micron sock and in 2023 they changed to sock to address the problem.

Did you have your tank recall done yet?  If not have it done and buy a new sock and have them change it while the pump is out.  I just use the Polaris socks.

Here's a video for an Axys but its going to be basically the same process on a Matryx only you'll have a different style sock.

36 minutes ago, Doug said:

The sock is getting plugged and the pump is probably whining loud.  If you have some long pulls it may go into DET or you may get a low fuel pressure code.  The sock has a rather high micron so if you fill up at some of the small backwoods stations with dirt in the underground tanks it will clog up the sock quick.  2022 had the  most problem with this with to high of a micron sock and in 2023 they changed to sock to address the problem.

Did you have your tank recall done yet?  If not have it done and buy a new sock and have them change it while the pump is out.  I just use the Polaris socks.

Here's a video for an Axys but its going to be basically the same process on a Matryx only you'll have a different style sock.

My sled isn't impacted by the tank recall according to Polaris' website when I enter the VIN. It didn't arrive to my dealer until after the recall was announced so my assumption is that maybe it was fixed at the factory. 

5 minutes ago, SSFB said:

My sled isn't impacted by the tank recall according to Polaris' website when I enter the VIN. 

Interesting ... I thought all Matryx models were part of the fuel tank recall ('21-'23 models).  

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Interesting ... I thought all Matryx models were part of the fuel tank recall ('21-'23 models).  

See my edit. The sled didn't arrive to my dealer until about December 7-8th, 2022 so my assumption is that it was fixed at the factory since the recall was announced in November 2022.

I will call the dealer to confirm anyways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

See my edit. The sled didn't arrive to my dealer until about December 7-8th, 2022 so my assumption is that it was fixed at the factory since the recall was announced in November 2022.

I will call the dealer to confirm anyways.

My 2023 VR1 arrived at my dealer in October 2022 and was not included in the recall.  When we did my 2022 XCR actually changed it to the 2023 sock which required changing the sock and modifying pickup mount.

1 hour ago, SSFB said:

Here's one for the Pro-Ride.  Again simular.  Wrote that to "clean the sock" and just by cleaning it will clog up quickly.  Once the pump starts to wine the sock needs to be replaced.

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/cleaning-fuel-sock.735305/#post-7890289

9 hours ago, Doug said:

Here's one for the Pro-Ride.  Again simular.  Wrote that to "clean the sock" and just by cleaning it will clog up quickly.  Once the pump starts to wine the sock needs to be replaced.

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/cleaning-fuel-sock.735305/#post-7890289

I don't get it.  This is something I've never had to worry about in over 50 years of sledding.  

46 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I don't get it.  This is something I've never had to worry about in over 50 years of sledding.  

It probably was happening to you right before your Assault blew up :thumbsup: 

53 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

For the good old days when a in line gas filter was all you needed.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

The pump gets whining and loud that when you pull the fuel tank cap off you really hear it.  Polaris changed to a new sock in 2022 with a very high micron and had a lot of problems then changed it again in 2023 to resolve the problem.  It shows up more when your getting gas at the small backwoods stations with old tanks.  

There's a bar by us with gas that i've had a lot of issues with and would normally change the sock every year. We'd stop there after each ride to top off. Stopped getting gas from there and haven't had issues since.  If your getting gas at the main stations in towns don't see this issue.

Some dealers say the pump is bad.  Not saying that may not be the case but I've not seen a bad pump yet and changing the sock has fixed the noise/problem.

41 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

For the good old days when a in line gas filter was all you needed.

Their trying to protect the pump and injectors from dirty fuel.  If you keep on riding you'll get DET or low fuel pressure codes.

Went and hosed off the sled to get the dirt out of the skid from the low snow conditions on some of the trails.

Fuel pump was much quieter today warming up the motor to shake out all of the water. Hopefully that's a good sign and it's just the fuel sock that needs replacement. 

I gotta get a siphon to get this gas out of there and get the sock ordered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Went and hosed off the sled to get the dirt out of the skid from the low snow conditions on some of the trails.

Fuel pump was much quieter today warming up the motor to shake out all of the water. Hopefully that's a good sign and it's just the fuel sock that needs replacement. 

Thanks for sharing your outing this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your weekend threads in the future :bc:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

Thanks for sharing your outing this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your weekend threads in the future :bc:

Hoping the weather cooperates so I can do more!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Hoping the weather cooperates so I can do more!

It doesn't always have to be about riding. You used to do them almost every weekend. It's just something to lighten the mood a bit around here. Not that it's needed or anything with this crew :lol:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

It doesn't always have to be about riding. You used to do them almost every weekend. It's just something to lighten the mood a bit around here. Not that it's needed or anything with this crew :lol:

That’s very true, good point. :bc:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SSFB said:

That’s very true, good point. :bc:

I mean.,...  

gulp.....

even a golf outing is acceptable :lol:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

even a golf outing is acceptable :lol:

You watch yer fucking tone young man, any golf outing is epic to the maximum max :lmao:

Have you seen my lawn this winter????? Estate quality I tell ya.

58 minutes ago, SSFB said:

If your tank is full it will quite the pump down some.  I've changed several and haven't found a bad pump yet and a new sock has resolved the issue.

Mark the orientation of the pump assemble with some reference marks before you take it apart.  For reassemble make sure the seal on the tank is installed correctly laying flat and hasn't rolled.  Once its installed and tight full the tank back up and shake the sled even tipping it side to side to make sure its sealed properly before putting the sled all back together.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Doug said:

If your tank is full it will quite the pump down some.  I've changed several and haven't found a bad pump yet and a new sock has resolved the issue.

Mark the orientation of the pump assemble with some reference marks before you take it apart.  For reassemble make sure the seal on the tank is installed correctly laying flat and hasn't rolled.  Once its installed and tight full the tank back up and shake the sled even tipping it side to side to make sure its sealed properly before putting the sled all back together.  

Tank should only be about a 1/4 full now.

Thanks for all the info. :bc:

9 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Tank should only be about a 1/4 full now.

Thanks for all the info. :bc:

If it's only 1/4 full you would have to siphon any out

Just now, Doug said:

If it's only 1/4 full you would have to siphon any out

I was just thinking if it’s dirty gas I should get it all out since I’m putting in a new sock. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I was just thinking if it’s dirty gas I should get it all out since I’m putting in a new sock. :dunno:

Good thought.  Its a pain to siphon through the filler opening and get around the baffles.  It would be easier to pull the pump assemble and siphon through that opening. 

• Like 2