Check your account email address ×

SSFB weekend thread

SSFB

On 1/2/2024 at 2:41 PM, Doug said:

Good thought.  Its a pain to siphon through the filler opening and get around the baffles.  It would be easier to pull the pump assemble and siphon through that opening. 

I got everything torn apart. Here’s the sock. 

IMG_0087.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doug said:

That's you problem 

Looks really dirty, right? 

The fuel I siphoned out(~4 gallons) didn’t look bad but :dunno:

I did get the tank completely drained though. :bc:

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
33 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Looks really dirty, right? 

The fuel I siphoned out(~4 gallons) didn’t look bad but :dunno:

I did get the tank completely drained though. :bc:

Hopefully that's the fix.  To starve that sock from sucking fuel you would really have a lot of material around the entirety of it, not seeing that in your pic

33 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Hopefully that's the fix.  To starve that sock from sucking fuel you would really have a lot of material around the entirety of it, not seeing that in your pic

The sock is almost white when new and I don't know what micron it is but I'm sure it high. Cutting it open will show the inside very clean.

This sock was plugged and I tried to clean it.  Lasted about 100 miles and the pump was whining again.  New sock fixed it.

IMG_0539.jpg

7 minutes ago, Doug said:

The sock is almost white when new and I don't know what micron it is but I'm sure it high. Cutting it open will show the inside very clean.

This sock was plugged and I tried to clean it.  Lasted about 100 miles and the pump was whining again.  New sock fixed it.

IMG_0539.jpg

I've never seen one cut open, was more wondering if there was possibly another material inside the sock that was gray in color..Like an inner and outer filter sewn together Into a sock..Id cut that thing open and most definitely want to see what's inside either way

Edited by Rigid1
Autocorrect

9 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I've never seen one cut open, was more wondering if there was possibly another material inside the sock that was gray in color..Like an inner and outer filter sewn together Into a sock..Id cut that thing open and most definitely want to see what's inside either way

There is or was a gray inner liner.  It's been a while since I cut one apart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

If you're replacing it cut that fucker open and check out the inside 

2 hours ago, Doug said:

IMG_0539.jpg

Here ya go. the sock has at least 4 layers to it. Outer mesh which is quite rigid and then a couple softer, cloth like layers and then another inner mesh type layer.

IMG_0104.jpegIMG_0103.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SSFB said:

Here ya go. the sock has at least 4 layers to it. Outer mesh which is quite rigid and then a couple softer, cloth like layers and then another inner mesh type layer.

See anything good that would lead to a starvation symptom?

I just warmed the sled up. Two gallons of fresh non-ethanol 91 octane in it. Pump still makes a slight whine that can only be heard if you put your ear up to the filler neck. 

Pull your head away from the pump and you can't hear it. I could hear it before with a helmet on while riding the sled so it's alot better but no whine would be best obviously. Do I need to have the pump looked at?

@Doug

11 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I just warmed the sled up. Two gallons of fresh non-ethanol 91 octane in it. Pump still makes a slight whine that can only be heard if you put your ear up to the filler neck. 

Pull your head away from the pump and you can't hear it. I could hear it before with a helmet on while riding the sled so it's alot better but no whine would be best obviously. Do I need to have the pump looked at?

@Doug

That's normal 

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

That's normal 

Kinda what I figured as the pump has got to make some noise at least. Thanks @Doug!

Last test is to tip her on it's side and make sure nothing is leaking and then hopefully I will find time to take it for a little spin before heading up to the North Shore to ride with Drew and Steve this weekend! :bc:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

See anything good that would lead to a starvation symptom?

Not really but I'm far from an expert when it comes to these things. :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Kinda what I figured as the pump has got to make some noise at least. Thanks @Doug!

Last test is to tip her on it's side and make sure nothing is leaking and then hopefully I will find time to take it for a little spin before heading up to the North Shore to ride with Drew and Steve this weekend! :bc:

It will quite down more when you have more fuel in it and the pump is submerged 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SSFB said:

Not really but I'm far from an expert when it comes to these things. :lol:

I would have expected to see some something clogging the sock..That's a lot of filter material to clog, and to see pretty much a brand new sock without a spec of dirt in it makes me think something else.. Could be that the new filter is an updated design that flows better and solves the problem. Id give the sled a slow once over and look for pinched or collapsed fuel lines or possibly a bad injector.. Hopefully the filter solves the issue, but that is a hell of a lot of filter material to clog to not see a spot of dirt..:bc:

37 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I would have expected to see some something clogging the sock..That's a lot of filter material to clog, and to see pretty much a brand new sock without a spec of dirt in it makes me think something else.. Could be that the new filter is an updated design that flows better and solves the problem. Id give the sled a slow once over and look for pinched or collapsed fuel lines or possibly a bad injector.. Hopefully the filter solves the issue, but that is a hell of a lot of filter material to clog to not see a spot of dirt..:bc:

My Ski Doo started acting up a little this past weekend, when the fuel level got down to about a 1/2 tank.  Either a fuel sock, or pickup that used to have a weight that would hold the intake down near the bottom of the tank, which Ski Doo since removed.  Now apparently according to our Doo tech buddy some of them are getting hung up on a ridge in the tank, so it feels lke its running out of gas if you're down on fuel.  And to fix it you need to strip it down, remove the frame spars to access the font of the fuel tank where the pump assembly is.  Pain in the ass.

53 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Yeah I did look all fuel lines over pretty closely and everything seemed good. I also spot checked as much stuff as I could under the hood without tearing the sled apart. 

If I have to replace a fuel sock every season that's not ideal but also not a huge deal now that I've already done it. 

23 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Yeah I did look all fuel lines over pretty closely and everything seemed good. I also spot checked as much stuff as I could under the hood without tearing the sled apart. 

If I have to replace a fuel sock every season that's not ideal but also not a huge deal now that I've already done it. 

Yep, I just don't want to see you have less than a stellar ride out there, treat your fuel.. @Jerry 976 and I like the B3C mechanic in a bottle, it's good stuff I run their stuff in everything and zero fuel issues 

IMG_20231213_181933571_HDR.jpg

Christ, just how fine of an orifice is in these injectors on these new sleds that you have to have such a fine mesh sock/screen to not plug them?  What a pain in the ass.

Zero pump noise with 8 gallons in the sled. Also tipped it on its side for a while to ensure no leaks. All seems good. Got her polished and looking forward to four days of riding on the North Shore! :bc:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

What happens is the outer filter material gets restricted and collapses the sock basically closing off the flow of fuel from both sides.  The 2022 sock was even worst and having issues with as little as 500 miles.  Guys were cutting it open and putting a spring inside so you wouldn't collapse it and lock it down.  Polaris changed the sock in 2023 to a lower micron.  Polaris is conservative on these socks to protect the pump and injectors.  If your getting fuel from some of these off the beaten path gas stops the sock and whiney pumps are more of an issue.