Check your account email address ×

Anyone have Starlink?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have/had it as well.

I bought it when it was on sale for $200 Canadian. Speeds were extremely meh for the $150 a month I was paying. Went back to my old provider that is definitely slower but at $50/month I don't care. In my area the cost just didn't justify the performance. I had a subscription for 4 months. Zero obstructions. I am 30 mins west of Edmonton Alberta.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I have/had it as well.

I bought it when it was on sale for $200 Canadian. Speeds were extremely meh for the $150 a month I was paying. Went back to my old provider that is definitely slower but at $50/month I don't care. In my area the cost just didn't justify the performance. I had a subscription for 4 months. Zero obstructions. I am 30 mins west of Edmonton Alberta.

Oh really. Thats not good. I noticed quite a few of them on my last trip sitting on RVs. Reviews online are hit and miss.

my brother has it and loves it. he has incredible connection speeds. he had shit before that. i think the antenna was 750.00 and it's 90.00 a month. he is thrilled, has had nothing but bullshit for years. my local internet is 93.00 a month , so just the antenna costs

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Oh really. Thats not good. I noticed quite a few of them on my last trip sitting on RVs. Reviews online are hit and miss.

I considered Starlink. Too many mixed reviews from those in the overland community for me to take the plunge. I have a set up that’s works 90% of the time even in the woods. The cost is also ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I considered Starlink. Too many mixed reviews from those in the overland community for me to take the plunge. I have a set up that’s works 90% of the time even in the woods. The cost is also ridiculous. 

I like the mobility of it. Right now I use my cell as a hotspot to watch TV in the RV. It blows through data pretty fast though.

46 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Anyone else?

Holy fuck :roundhouse: I don't think a 2 word response has ever made me laugh this hard!!!!

As Bontz loves to proclaim,,,, you just won the internet for today :lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I like the mobility of it. Right now I use my cell as a hotspot to watch TV in the RV. It blows through data pretty fast though.

What app do you use? You can turn down the streaming resolution.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

I bought a secondhand WeBoost and paired it with T-Mobile home internet tower. I pay $40/month for the internet service-unlimited. It works in some rather remote areas. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SSFB said:

What app do you use? You can turn down the streaming resolution.

I use the Apps built into my google chromecast. Mostly Netflix and You Tube. I also cast alot from my phone.

Where would I find streaming resolution?

Edited by Steve753

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I use the Apps built into my google chromecast. Mostly Netflix and You Tube. I also cast alot from my phone.

Where would I find streaming resolution?

Ah found it. 480p would use less is the way to go. Ill try it on my next trip.

:bc:

24 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

They work great but need a clear site.  150meg in Florida and about 50meg in Ontario.  Ontario has obstructions.

define obstructions please...

I've been requested to get it at the cottage in the UP 

personally I can live without being online there but... women. 

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

define obstructions please...

I've been requested to get it at the cottage in the UP 

personally I can live without being online there but... women. 

Trees, it needs a fairly wide clear sky.   Install it on a pole then.

Yup those womens.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

2 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

yeah i look forward to camping with no service. nice for streaming music and such but i go to get away. use my phone for fish pictures 

We primarily boondock. But I have to have my foxnews fill.

:lol:

8 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Ah found it. 480p would use less is the way to go. Ill try it on my next trip.

:bc:

480p will for sure use a ton less data however 720p might be a nice sweet spot for data usage and quality. 

Many people can't even see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen smaller than 50". 

• Like 1