Check your account email address ×

Doo MXZ 850 turbo - New king of the hill ?

18 hours ago, nacapster said:

Can’t forget about the meth/water injection and the stutter mode/launch control. I bet tuned Vs tuned even the mighty thunder winder is gonna need a very long distance to try and get around one of these things. 

I heard the same thing about the mach z, and it turned out to not even be a race at 1000'.

28 minutes ago, krom said:

I heard the same thing about the mach z, and it turned out to not even be a race at 1000'.

I'm still trying to figure out what he's on about?   :dunno:

gRatE p0aST... jiM hAs s0mE c0mpEtiTi0n  :roflcrying:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's no context... which drivers were people expecting?  for example

just odd... 

Every other flatland Ski-Doo comes with 8 tooth drivers. And usually Ski-Doo has their ECUs locked down tighter than a snare drum. In other words they decided to unleash the beast with this model. 

Me, I’m just happy the words MXZ and SHOT are being used in the same sentence. I mean thanks to Ski-Doo we’ve all been enjoying weight penalty free reverse for years. Doo has access to weight penalty free electric start so why not let us trail riders have it to. Now they are.

Personally I don’t have much interest in a turbo. The NA 850 is fast enough for me. Or so I thought until I got a lower geared XRS. But now it’s got a 27T top gear in the chain case so the legs of my 2018 X should be back.

Edited by nacapster
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nacapster said:

Every other flatland Ski-Doo comes with 8 tooth drivers. And usually Ski-Doo has their ECUs locked down tighter than a snare drum. In other words they decided to unleash the beast with this model. 

Me, I’m just happy the words MXZ and SHOT are being used in the same sentence. I mean thanks to Ski-Doo we’ve all been enjoying weight penalty free reverse for years. Doo has access to weight penalty free electric start so why not let us trail riders have it to. Now they are.

Personally I don’t have much interest in a turbo. The NA 850 is fast enough for me. Or so I thought until I got a lower geared XRS. But now it’s got a 27T top gear in the chain case so the legs of my 2018 X should be back.

well, that makes a bit more sense now as the original post was ? :)

playing with a bit of gearing and clutching myself atm... looking for the sweet spot.

11 hours ago, krom said:

It’s gotta be running on the ragged edge if they have to spray it with meth to keep it alive in trail sled. I doubt Mr tcat will have an issue beating on it 

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

It’s gotta be running on the ragged edge if they have to spray it with meth to keep it alive in trail sled. I doubt Mr tcat will have an issue beating on it 

The meth is not to keep it alive, it’s to stop the computer from raining on the parade when the air intake temps get a bit warm during prolonged WOT use. I’ve read about tunes as high as 260 HP for the new Doo 850 turbo. And it probably weighs 100 lbs less than the thunderwinder.

Edited by nacapster
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Not greg b said:

meth is like nos is to NA for turbo mills

that's a weird statement on my behalf... don't know that I've ever said that before  9_9

26 minutes ago, nacapster said:

The meth is not to keep it alive, it’s to stop the computer from raining on the parade when the air intake temps get a bit warm during prolonged WOT use. I’ve read about tunes as high as 260 HP for the new Doo 850 turbo. And it probably weighs 100 lbs less than the thunderwinder.

intake air temp, baro and maf readings... matter

are those hp numbers from people who don't care if they explode the mill... cuz if they're adding timing, boost and fueling something will give.  

14 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Last meth I saw on a sled was crazy Joe and his neighbor on the pond.  Them fuckers were high nonstop.

they were 5hits down... and blew in the slew... :roflcrying:

29 minutes ago, nacapster said:

If they could throw fuel at it they wouldn’t need the meth. It’s got to be on the edge to meet epa if they are spraying it with meth. No one does that anymore. As far as making hp they can make as much hp as the rods will hold. It still isn’t going to hold a candle to a thunder cat. You can turn a tcat up a lot. 

Yeah it probably won’t be running the outlaw class at Haydays LOL. But some guy had a trail converted 146 Doo turbo last year lined up with a 300 HP winder. The Winder got a higher mph reading but they ran out of room B4 the winder could catch the Doo turbo. Don’t remember the race length but it wasn’t short. I wanna say 2-3 thousand feet. 

3 minutes ago, nacapster said:

Yeah it probably won’t be running the outlaw class at Haydays LOL. But some guy had a trail converted 146 Doo turbo last year lined up with a 300 HP winder. The Winder got a higher mph reading but they ran out of room B4 the winder could catch the Doo turbo. Don’t remember the race length but it wasn’t short. I wanna say 2-3 thousand feet. 

there's a guy here in town with a 1200... two up seat, huge windshield, looks like shit... has about 300 picks in a shaved track and lifts the skis at 80mph.

I applaud shit like that  

I found the post. And I guess I stand corrected. They’re playing with 270-280 HP tunes for the new Doo 850 Turbo R.

“ Acceleration on an 850 turbo is nothing short of brutal. Tuner with a turbo R said 300 hp sidewinder had 2 mph more on the gun than his 850.......but in 2000 ft still couldn't get around his 850. Gonna be interesting.“

” I've spoken to a well known tuner that says they're playing with 270-280 flashes already. “

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's a guy here in town with a 1200... two up seat, huge windshield, looks like shit... has about 300 picks in a shaved track and lifts the skis at 80mph.

I applaud shit like that  

Nice sleeper! What’s he running? Motec turbo around 300 HP LOL.

Edited by nacapster

Side note: trail converted 146 = C-Motion or an actual mountain skid designed to transfer. I suppose the RMX might put a damper on things. In any case should be interesting. There will most likely be a turbo back country next year anyways. 

5 hours ago, nacapster said:

The 260 tunes were on the non meth injected turbo mountain sleds.

9 hours ago, Not greg b said:

If they could throw fuel at it they wouldn’t need the meth. It’s got to be on the edge to meet epa if they are spraying it with meth. No one does that anymore. As far as making hp they can make as much hp as the rods will hold. It still isn’t going to hold a candle to a thunder cat. You can turn a tcat up a lot. 

Well they’re kinda doing both. Remember the NA Doo 850 already has boost injectors to help keep things cool. They kick in around 7K rpm. And then it’s part DI and part old school throttle body EFI. So it does ride a little dirty. 

Shoot, I forgot about the liquid cooled crankcase. So that’s 3 things the new flatland Doo turbo has going for it to help it keep cool that none of the competition has. Meth injection, boost injectors, & a LC CC. I think the Polaris Boost is toast and there might even be a few butt hurt T-Cat / Winder owners this winter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, nacapster said:

Shoot, I forgot about the liquid cooled crankcase. So that’s 3 things the new flatland Doo turbo has going for it to help it keep cool that none of the competition has. Meth injection, boost injectors, & a LC CC. I think the Polaris Boost is toast and there might even be a few butt hurt T-Cat / Winder owners this winter. 

Doo's liquid cooled crankcase has nothing to do with making hp, its to try and help with the crank issues they are famous for.

The throttle body injectors do a better job of cooling the internals.. Also they won't hurt emissions much if at all, if they are only active when the engine is "on the pipe"  and trapping the charge as designed..  Its part throttle that that is hard to meet emissions without di

Doo guys are making as much noise now as they did when the machz came back, and that turned out to be a slug, unable to get close to a 998 either stock or fully worked