Check your account email address ×

GM CEO flails when asked to compare her pay raise to workers.

spin_dry

• Platinum Contributing Member

Local news around here in the Detroit area has done plenty of stories over the years covering the stuff UAW workers were doing while supposed to be working. None of it was ever positive.

On another note I see Bernie grabbed his walker and is speaking to the UAW 

Edited by Skidooski

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Ford paid me an extra $10k because a union employee failed to walk over all day and plug in an extension cord.  So fucking efficient....

Next time they know it'll be a lot worse than $10k.

Paid you, or the company you work for?

36 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

:lol:... Pay people for doing nothing... So clueless you are... Like I said everything is monitored from the time taken between stops to the time spent in the back of the truck when the bulkhead door is open.  Any gaps can and will be questioned. Just no way around it there are no lazy employees, At least not any long-term ones.

Inefficient work.... You got it all figured out:lmao:

Another one who knows exactly how UPS operates...:lol:... First step is usually step number 3, 4 or 5 in many cases.....And like I said stealing time is a major Cardinal offense you could be walked off the property and fired on the spot . ..Union is defenseless against this.  Trust me if management thinks you're a slacker or doesn't like you, They will get rid of you.... Union or not....and/or force you to attend a hearing to try and keep your job.

And if you're newbie and have an accident ...forget about it you're done In most situations.

But anyway feel free to know more than I do after being employed there 35 years

Newbies usually don't have union support until they've got 90 days.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

30 or 90 days... Forget which But it's not a good idea to get into an accident the first year without severe repercussions even for a mild backing accident, mailbox, power line etc.

Sure the union provides some protection and keeps the company in check. But the company management can make an employee's life miserable if they so desire...... Doing constant observations and following the driver around.   Writing him up for any minor infraction that they would normally let slide. If they want you and you're on their shitlist they will get you.    Their hands are not tied.

18 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Actually it's never a good idea to have any type of accident.... I backed  into a car in a driveway last year... Didn't cause much damage but all the supervisors showed up took pictures, made reports..  My center manager had to write me up.,.. really didn't want to after 34 years and we get along great. But he had no choice. 

I'm actually not much of a union guy myself I get along with the management better than I do with the union reps.  I would almost cross a picket line and be a Scab for them... But I'm not quite to that level. Maybe a bit of a brown noser though.   I was there for the first strike many moons ago.   The last 5 years we've had the best supervisors and managers that we could ask for..... If they twist my arm enough I'll stay through another peak before I retire.  I like this job and get along with them so well, Making retirement that much more difficult to choose.

• Like 1

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

It was 30 days when I worked for ups. I know cause I quit that week lol took out like a 3rd of the shit pay I was getting.

Ya I'm sure every union company has their own initiation periods. I've only heard of 90 day.

:bc:

15 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Unions protect the lazy worker. Next to impossible to fire them.

thats in public workers unions and the UAW in general.   Trade unions have value and UPS seems to run a tight ship with a union.   Skilled positions at the big 3 should spin themselves off from the UAW as they can repalce their income with similar,  the line assemblers have no chance of replacing theirs with anything sclose to the combined wage and bennies even without a raise this contract

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

thats in public workers unions and the UAW in general.   Trade unions have value and UPS seems to run a tight ship with a union.   Skilled positions at the big 3 should spin themselves off from the UAW as they can repalce their income with similar,  the line assemblers have no chance of replacing theirs with anything sclose to the combined wage and bennies even without a raise this contract

The line workers should just be grateful for scraps while management enjoys double digit annual raises.