Check your account email address ×

The End Of Van Halen

• Platinum Contributing Member

How David Lee Roth’s Plan To Cover The Classic Song “California Girls” By The Beach Boys Led To The Break Up Of The Original Lineup Of Van Halen In The Mid-1980s : 

Below is great photo of Carl Wilson of The Beach Boys and David Lee Roth, the lead singer/frontman of Van Halen, taken late in 1984. 

On this day 39 years ago the original members of Van Halen played their very last show together. They gave their final concert of the "Monsters Of Rock" festival in Nuremberg Germany on September 2, 1984 and it was supposed to be a short break before returning to the studio to record their follow up to their now classic record "1984”. 

It’s what happened on the plane ride home that would change the trajectory of music history when David Lee Roth played Eddie Van Halen a cassette of a demo of him covering the legendary Beach Boys’ song “California Girls”. 

The past few years David had been irritated that Eddie was working on projects outside of the band. Especially appearing on Michael Jackson’s song “Beat It”. So he enthusiastically came up with an idea to do something on his own with producer Ted Templeman by recording a few cover songs for a solo project while Eddie composed music in his 5150 studio for the next Van Halen studio album. 

Problem is Eddie Van Halen hated Dave’s demo of “California Girls” when he first heard it which enraged Roth causing a huge argument between the two . This coupled with other factors that had been causing friction between the two bandmates for the last couple of years would result in Roth taking steps to leave the band. 

Roth would record the song “California Girls” to officially kick off his solo career. He would recruit Carl Wilson to arrange the song and sing backing vocals along with Carl’s good friend Christopher Cross. 

The timing could not have been better, especially since at the time Roth was one of the biggest music stars in the world and his cover of the song definitely introduced the music of The Beach Boys to a whole new generation of fans. 

The timing was also perfect because The Beach Boys were recording what would become their self titled 1985 album which was to be released just a few months after this cover song became a huge hit. And it definitely helped MTV to embrace the video for “Getcha Back” which got solid airplay making that song a surprise hit. 

Ironically, David Lee Roth’s version of “California Girls” also peaked at #3, just as the original song had 20 years earlier. 

If David Lee Roth still had doubts at this point of leaving Van Halen the huge success of “California Girls” along with the EP “Crazy From The Heat” would solidify his decision of making it official that he was not coming back. 

As for Carl he was very disappointed that the self titled 1985 album didn’t perform better on the charts and made him realize after years of denial that sadly most music fans only wanted to see The Beach Boys as a nostalgia act. 

Then again, Kokomo would become a #1 song three years later. 

Just more proof that the music business and the legacy of The Beach Boys is always unpredictable.

As for Van Halen ? The original line up of the band would never play on a concert stage again. And now that Eddie Van Halen is no longer with us, September 2, 1984 will always be known as the very last time that the original members of one America’s greatest and iconic bands ever played live together. 

#beachboysbeatles101

IMG_1824.thumb.jpeg.3b2fb5ee13fb3d0d3e92bc84ce806569.jpeg

• Like 3

David Lee Roth only sounded good on recordings, he was an awful live singer but he was a great frontman/ showman. Besides, IMO Van Halen has always been about Eddie Van Halen, his playing and sound were the real reasons behind their success. If you want to really get down to it, Michael Anthony provided a ton of their background vocals, he was probably a better singer than Roth.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

David Lee Roth only sounded good on recordings, he was an awful live singer but he was a great frontman/ showman. Besides, IMO Van Halen has always been about Eddie Van Halen, his playing and sound were the real reasons behind their success. If you want to really get down to it, Michael Anthony provided a ton of their background vocals, he was probably a better singer than Roth.

Micheal Anthony does have some great pipes.:music1:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shifty said:

I think Van Halen ended with Roth’s departure. Completely different sound after. Pop rock. 

I tend to agree…I saw Van Hagar during their inaugural tour in Lakeland Florida and while I have always loved Sammy it was just not the same…still good but different.

5 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Good stuff.👊🏻

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I think Alex was just as integral as Eddie. Michael Anthony as well. The 3 of them could have been world famous with nearly anyone singing. For me Roth was absolute shit. Just a terrible singer and nothing but a circus sideshow for otherwise great musicians 

• Like 1

I'm a Van Halen fan, through and through ... but also agree that DLR was just a show man.  His live vocals were shit - but the dude could put on a show.  Someone mentioned in a similar thread a while back, VH sucked when Hagar took over because they moved to more keyboard music than guitar & I never really thought about that - but it seems true.  I still love listening to 'em though and I don't mind the Van Hagar era one bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

I'm a Van Halen fan, through and through ... but also agree that DLR was just a show man.  His live vocals were shit - but the dude could put on a show.  Someone mentioned in a similar thread a while back, VH sucked when Hagar took over because they moved to more keyboard music than guitar & I never really thought about that - but it seems true.  I still love listening to 'em though and I don't mind the Van Hagar era one bit.

Sammy had more talent in his little finger than 100 DLRs put together. The man is an epic rockstar. He’s an amazing player and has a great voice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Sammy had more talent in his little finger than 100 DLRs put together. The man is an epic rockstar. He’s an amazing player and has a great voice. 

That's why Sammy is known for "I can't drive 55" and not for anything he did with Van Halen.

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

That's why Sammy is known for "I can't drive 55" and not for anything he did with Van Halen.

Really?  Huh - plenty of people my age liked a lot of Van Hagar.  The 5150 album was great .. OU812 wasn't as good, but it wasn't terrible, and F.U.C.K. had some good tunes out of it too.

Let's just agree to disagree :bc:

• Like 2

The heavy synth stuff didn't age well, but it was kindof badass back in its day.  Now it just sounds very dated.  But I agree on Sammy vs DLR.  Sammy has a far better voice, was better live, and is more versatile as a frontman.

They were mostly over the synth pop stuff by 1995 though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Really?  Huh - plenty of people my age liked a lot of Van Hagar.  The 5150 album was great .. OU812 wasn't as good, but it wasn't terrible, and F.U.C.K. had some good tunes out of it too.

Let's just agree to disagree :bc:

I didn't say it wasn't any good. 

4 hours ago, Shifty said:

The best van Hagar album is crap compared to the worst Van Halen ( is there one?) album. Kill yourself 

You don't VH very well. Remember Gary Cherone? That was VH's worst album by far..................Van Halen III :lmao:

Van Halen - Van Halen III - Amazon.com Music

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You don't VH very well. Remember Gary Cherone? That was VH's worst album by far..................Van Halen III :lmao:

Van Halen - Van Halen III - Amazon.com Music

It’s too bad to cause Cherone is an awesome singer. Also Nuno is better than Eddie with his eyes closed lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was always more of an Ac/DC fan growing up but David Lee Roth made Van Halen IMO.   Like Steve said, I associate Sammy Hagar with Drive 55 more than anything he did with VH.    Liked quite a bit with Sammy but still not the same. Saw VH once in Madison Square Garden and Roth entered on a huge swing and was doing high Karate kicks throughout the concert.....great entertainer and quite athletic also. Great show.

I also liked Ac/DC with Bon Scott as singer too......they died with Bon IMO.  All albums leading up to Bons death we're getting better and better and putting AC/DC on the map.... Highway to hell, the last album with Scott is my favorite all-time album by any performer..I like every track .....then came along Johnson.  Back in Black was good, I think mainly because H to H gave them a lot of notoriety and exposure ...but every album after that went downhill and the last one I ever bought was ..For those About To Rock...only good tunes on that were the title song and maybe Night of the Long knives.  Man how I wanted to keep liking them but  lost interest  after that.   ......if only Bon hadn't passed.:sad: