Check your account email address ×

2023 XCR 128 or 2023 VR1 129

XCR ... take the higher end shocks, and overall beefier suspension.  You won't ever notice a difference between a 128 and 129, and I think the main difference is the XCR has tipped rails.  The XCR is the better overall sled, IMO - especially for heavier guys who like to ride at a good clip.

I've had them both and both are good sleds.  My preference is the XCR with 7S gauge

XCR: Upgraded shocks 2" dia with Hi/Lo adjust, upgraded brake, additional reinforcement with 4th wheel kit on the rear suspension.  Not sure if the XCR will have tipped rails on the 128 but for sure does have the tipped rails on the 136.  Has the base gauge but 7S gauge was an option.  128" track 2.52 pitch or 51 windows

VR1: 1.88 dia shocks more of a plush ride, 7S gauge is standard, rails are not tipped, 129" track 2.86 pitch or 45 windows.

Let us know if you need more details or have more questions 

• Like 1

Good point on the 2.52 vs. 2.86, Doug ... I forgot about that.  And also the 7s gauge - I just take for granted it's on the XCR since I had it on mine.  It may be viewed by some as gimmicky, but I sure like having it.

8 minutes ago, Allyammies said:

They both have the 7S. Was looking for a 650 but for the price I will just do the 850 if I decide to go that way.

With that I'd go with the XCR.  This will offer you a wider range of adjustment suspension wise to dial the sled in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Allyammies said:

Can get a decent deal on either one. XCR is about 500 less. I go about 260 and like to ride at a decent pace. What is the real difference between the 128 and 129? Thanks

About 1/2 an inch and less lugs. The 128 will have 51 lugs where the 129 will have 45. 

• Like 1

The other advantage with a 128 is studding options. You can do a 3 per bar pattern on a 128 and end up with 153 studs. That’s right about where you need to be on a stock 800. On a 129 3 per bar is only 135 which is too light on studs for any bigger than a 600 now. 

Edited by Not greg b

33 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The other advantage with a 128 is studding options. You can do a 3 per bar pattern on a 128 and end up with 153 studs. That’s right about where you need to be on a stock 800. On a 129 3 per bar is only 135 which is too light on studs for any bigger than a 600 now. 

Although I agree in principle with this, I've learned since 2018 when I had my Assault ... 2 per row can work just fine, even on an 800 (or 840/850).  Be smart with the flipper, and it works fine.  I've had as few as 108 studs on an 800 and it's worked out OK ... in fact, I'd say it worked out well actually.  

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

Had a XCR 136 and VR1 137 last year.  The XCR has 54 bars and the VR1 has 48 bars.  Both had 3 studs per bar and preferred the ride of the XCR over the VR1 when riding with the guys.

For me the 136/137 length tracks are the sweet spot.

Edited by Doug

26 minutes ago, Doug said:

Had a XCR 136 and VR1 137 last year.  The XCR has 54 bars and the VR1 has 48 bars.  Both had 3 studs per bar and preferred the ride of the XCR over the VR1 when riding with the guys.

For me the 136/137 length tracks are the sweet spot.

What I like about the 137 is you can use the tried and trued 121 inch stud patterns. 

56 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Although I agree in principle with this, I've learned since 2018 when I had my Assault ... 2 per row can work just fine, even on an 800 (or 840/850).  Be smart with the flipper, and it works fine.  I've had as few as 108 studs on an 800 and it's worked out OK ... in fact, I'd say it worked out well actually.  

I am heavy on the flipper. The one time I tried the 135 pattern most of them bent and I had a few pull outs. I have never studded a big bore sled that light. I put a new track on it and up the stud count and the problem went away. 

• Like 1