Check your account email address ×

New minnesota law offers $2500 to new EV buyers

• Gold Member

Every model 3 and model Y qualify.  So a model 3 performance will cost 43,000 after federal and minnesota tax credit.  Model y performance is a few grand more.  What a bargain for some extremely fast sedans and SUV’s

https://electrek.co/2023/05/24/minnesota-just-passed-a-law-thats-going-to-ramp-up-ev-adoption/

Minnesota’s new law includes an EV rebate of $2,500 for a new car and $600 for a used one, with no income caps, among other EV incentives.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how much Tesla stock do you own? 

Screenshot_20230525-064626.png

Have a couple shares is all.  The company is way over value at over 1/2 a trillion market cap.  It’s stocks aren’t what this is about though.  At under $40k after all credits if you are in Minnesota, a model y or 3 are outstanding values

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Have a couple shares is all.  The company is way over value at over 1/2 a trillion market cap.  It’s stocks aren’t what this is about though.  At under $40k after all credits if you are in Minnesota, a model y or 3 are outstanding values

just checking... 

EVs don't interest me as we don't have the infrastructure ready for mass adaptation and not enough true green energy sources to provide the electricity for mass adaptation.  If people aren't happy with their electric bills now, just wait...

Hybrids make far more sense at the stage we're currently at in this country.    

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

just checking... 

EVs don't interest me as we don't have the infrastructure ready for mass adaptation and not enough true green energy sources to provide the electricity for mass adaptation.  If people aren't happy with their electric bills now, just wait...

Hybrids make far more sense at the stage we're currently at in this country.    

If people would be upset at their electricity bill from charging they have to be raging pissed at their current gasoline or diesel bill.

18 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

If people would be upset at their electricity bill from charging they have to be raging pissed at their current gasoline or diesel bill.

don't disagree... bought gas at $3.09 p/g on Monday and Tuesday morning it was $3.59 just in time for memorial day weekend.

gas prices sure don't seem to keep people from traveling though, starting today there will be non-stop traffic heading north past my workplace.

consider this... if everyone in this had electric baseboard heaters rather than natural gas or fuel oil furnaces in this country what would happen?  mass adaptation.   several states in this country can't keep enough of the juice flowing during peak heat waves as it is due to a/c usage.  here's looking at you California and Texas  :thumb: 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

don't disagree... bought gas at $3.09 p/g on Monday and Tuesday morning it was $3.59 just in time for memorial day weekend.

gas prices sure don't seem to keep people from traveling though, starting today there will be non-stop traffic heading north past my workplace.

consider this... if everyone in this had electric baseboard heaters rather than natural gas or fuel oil furnaces in this country what would happen?  mass adaptation.   several states in this country can't keep enough of the juice flowing during peak heat waves as it is due to a/c usage.  here's looking at you California and Texas  :thumb: 

You’re not going to cross your arms and nod your head and instantly change all transportation there Jeannie.  It will take decades and with it infrastructure will grow as needed like it does now and has in the past and since the dawn of the electric age

Edited by BOHICA

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

You’re not going to cross your arms and nod your head and instantly change all transportation there Jeannie.  It will take decades and with it infrastructure will grow as needed like it does now and has in the past and since the dawn of the electric age

idk where you live, but I can assure you that where I live... we're not ready, not even close.  

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

idk where you live, but I can assure you that where I live... we're not ready, not even close.  

Like I said infrastructure will grow as needed like it has.  You are not snapping you fingers and changing stuff over night.  Grid right now has plenty of capacity during night time, sun down hours.  TOU rates will also shift useage as utilities need and the system will be easier to run by increasing demand at off peak times.

Minnesota has two huge wind farms in the south western edge of the state.  Problem is transmission lines to move that electricity is 10+ years behind.  They have more generation than they can handle, but can’t move it anywhere.

https://kstp.com/5-investigates/minnesota-has-17-years-to-reach-100-renewable-energy-experts-say-were-already-behind-schedule/

• Like 2

line crews been working like crazy around us last couple years!!Some good money to be made in that industry right now.

Still dont believe in rebates etc to purchase.if such a good deal buy them with no rebates or tax incentives.Why should average tax payer pay more or higher taxes for these purchases?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, X2700 said:

line crews been working like crazy around us last couple years!!Some good money to be made in that industry right now.

Still dont believe in rebates etc to purchase.if such a good deal buy them with no rebates or tax incentives.Why should average tax payer pay more or higher taxes for these purchases?

This could be the only way I get any of my taxes back from the State. 

A Tesla is probably $600 just for registration, let alone sales tax on a new vehicle and increased insurance premiums.  Guess I'll keep driving my beater gas car for awhile.

• Like 1

Michigan's fourth-largest school district is having "significant" performance issues with its expensive electric buses, issues that come after the Biden administration spent $1 billion to "transform America's school bus fleet" with electric models.

During an April 19 presentation to the Ann Arbor Public Schools Board of Education, the district's environmental sustainability director, Emile Lauzzana, highlighted a number of issues with the district's electric bus fleet. Those buses, Lauzzana said, have "a lot of downtime and performance issues" and aren't "fully on the road," despite the fact that they are "approximately five times more expensive than regular buses." The infrastructure upgrades required to use the buses, meanwhile, were "originally estimated to be only about $50,000" but "ended up being more like $200,000," according to Lauzzana. "I have a number of colleagues in different states who are facing similar challenges," the district official lamented. "For the school bus market, it's been challenging for us."

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Snake said:

Michigan's fourth-largest school district is having "significant" performance issues with its expensive electric buses, issues that come after the Biden administration spent $1 billion to "transform America's school bus fleet" with electric models.

During an April 19 presentation to the Ann Arbor Public Schools Board of Education, the district's environmental sustainability director, Emile Lauzzana, highlighted a number of issues with the district's electric bus fleet. Those buses, Lauzzana said, have "a lot of downtime and performance issues" and aren't "fully on the road," despite the fact that they are "approximately five times more expensive than regular buses." The infrastructure upgrades required to use the buses, meanwhile, were "originally estimated to be only about $50,000" but "ended up being more like $200,000," according to Lauzzana. "I have a number of colleagues in different states who are facing similar challenges," the district official lamented. "For the school bus market, it's been challenging for us."

yet propane powered buses keep on running.

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Why?

I use $20-$40/ week in my Corolla.

That car cost me $12000

I'm not buying a $50000 Tesla to save $10-$20/ week

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Why?

That car cost me $12000

complicated issues solved by simple math 

what's the lifetime carbon footprint of that old Corolla compared to a shiny new EV ?

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Why?

That car cost me $12000

I wasn’t the one that brought up on be concerned with electric bills…. Just stating the fact that if people get upset with electric bills from charging they would be extremely pissed at there gas or diesel bill cause they would likely be like you and save 50% or so over paying for gas.

in Minnesota and most of the US with tax credits the teslas I listed are under $40k….  Not $50k

28 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I wasn’t the one that brought up on be concerned with electric bills…. Just stating the fact that if people get upset with electric bills from charging they would be extremely pissed at there gas or diesel bill cause they would likely be like you and save 50% or so over paying for gas.

in Minnesota and most of the US with tax credits the teslas I listed are under $40k….  Not $50k

I'm in Canada. A y is $80000

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

complicated issues solved by simple math 

what's the lifetime carbon footprint of that old Corolla compared to a shiny new EV ?

Well brand new off the lot I'm 7 years ahead.

I believe 80000 miles is when they even out.

I'm about 65000 and the car is a 2014.

Tesla would probably will need a battery for me at 80000 and 12ish years old. 

So ya my corollas footprint is way better than that Tesla. 👍

23 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Well brand new off the lot I'm 7 years ahead.

I believe 80000 miles is when they even out.

I'm about 65000 and the car is a 2014.

Tesla would probably will need a battery for me at 80000 and 12ish years old. 

So ya my corollas footprint is way better than that Tesla. 👍

ever priced an EV battery? 

$$$$$ :lol: