Check your account email address ×

" I'll only take the job if I can work remotely" , nah , we got a guy that can do that

My job was outsourced to Manila back in 2005... They had us "train" the new people, for an hour a day, for two weeks.  That worked out so well within two years they were calling those of us they let go, asking if we wanted to come back.

Turned out to be the best thing for me as I found an employer who valued the people they had, the knowledge they carried with the business, and the skills to get the job done.  18 years later, I'm still working for them, and will most likely be able to retire through them with plenty of work in sight.

Any company who reports to their shareholders and EPS is doing their best job to kill the mature, skilled, workforce they've got.  I see it firsthand, as hiring is happening in "strategic locations" (in other words, low cost countries) to save money.  Ironically, as the skilled workers are let go, it seems to allow for more executive level positions to somehow be created.  It's absolutely disgusting.

• Like 1

I see a complete breakdown on both sides.  Lazy ass workers who don’t want to work and employers who don’t want pay decent wages.  Covid policies destroyed the country , not imaginary oligarchs hoarding all the money. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, J. Jackson said:

Employers have created a bad situation. Makes lazy people lazier. 

Sorry but employers don't make people lazy that already had a good work ethic.   A shitty worker at home was likely a shitty worker in the office. 

• Like 2

High knowledge workers will be fine and good companies will continue to need them. 

While plenty of companies have pumped the brakes on hiring I'm still seeing alot of opportunity out there if I wanted to jump. 

• Like 1

I love working from home and have been more productive from it. Now, when we are asking to come into the office, we sit and bullshit a good portion of the day because we hardly see our coworkers anymore

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SSFB said:

High knowledge workers will be fine and good companies will continue to need them. 

While plenty of companies have pumped the brakes on hiring I'm still seeing alot of opportunity out there if I wanted to jump. 

I could go anywhere  and be hired on the spot.  There are no young workers to hire in my industry. Every place is hiring. 
 My buddy is project manager for a good size construction company.  They are dying for workers.  His boss just sent him two guys in their 60’s . Told him …yeah , they slow and beat up but this is what we got.  Show up every day though. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Sorry but employers don't make people lazy that already had a good work ethic.   A shitty worker at home was likely a shitty worker in the office. 

I guess that I worded it wrong. What I should have said was that by having employers being put under pressure to letting people work remotely it's creating a problem. My wife works in an office of mostly women and when one was allowed to work remotely they all wanted to be on the gravy train. Supervisors then had to give in or have 25 females that had the flag up for 30 days per month. Absolutely affected how the office runs and not for the good. 

Edited by J. Jackson

4 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

I guess that I worded it wrong. What I should have said was that by having employers being put under pressure to letting people work remotely it's creating a problem. My wife works in an office of mostly women and when one was allowed to work remotely they all wanted to be on the gravy train. Supervisors then had to give in or have 25 females that had the flag up for 30 days per month. Absolutely affected how the office runs and not for the good. 

Totally agree that companies contributed to govt fucking things up by completely exaggerating the dangerousness of COVID.