Check your account email address ×

The bean whores at Starbucks.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:33 PM, Blackstar said:

I never could figure out how to drink coffee but I have gotten addicted to these in the mornings.

Starbucks Doubleshot Mocha Coffee Drink, 444mL Can - image 1 of 4

I drink coffee but I do grab these once in awhile. 

20210113_115414.jpg

Edited by Sled_Hed

I'm a certified coffee snob, but just so you Starbucks guys know, the only way they get the consistency of their roasts is by slightly burning their beans while roasting. In Minneapolis there are so many great small roasters, Spin you need to try Folly Coffee, it's in your neighborhood, try "Classic Joe" they roast every Thursday, For you motocross guy's Ryan Dungey started a coffee business and he's as serious about coffee as he was about racing, "Always 5" is my favorite bean. 

https://follycoffee.com/

https://rdcoffees.com/

10 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

I'm a certified coffee snob, but just so you Starbucks guys know, the only way they get the consistency of their roasts is by slightly burning their beans while roasting. In Minneapolis there are so many great small roasters, Spin you need to try Folly Coffee, it's in your neighborhood, try "Classic Joe" they roast every Thursday, For you motocross guy's Ryan Dungey started a coffee business and he's as serious about coffee as he was about racing, "Always 5" is my favorite bean. 

https://follycoffee.com/

Wow , that’s all amazingly interesting!!! Have you ever tried this awesome place?

image.jpg

Edited by f7ben

33 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

, For you motocross guy's Ryan Dungey started a coffee business and he's as serious about coffee as he was about racing, "Always 5" is my favorite bean. 

Doesn't list a roast date which is a solid can't buy for me.  Beans are best 3-5 days after roasting and go downhill REALLY fast.  

You are right on some fun roasters popping up here.  Dogwood and Wesley Andrews are worth a stop.  I roast my own but still like to grab samples from roasters that know what they are doing.

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Doesn't list a roast date which is a solid can't buy for me.  Beans are best 3-5 days after roasting and go downhill REALLY fast.  

You are right on some fun roasters popping up here.  Dogwood and Wesley Andrews are worth a stop.  I roast my own but still like to grab samples from roasters that know what they are doing.

They roast to order, the bags will be dated with the roast date when it's sent. My son lives in the MSP area and knows a few of the roasters, I've thought of roasting my own, but haven't gone down that road yet. After drinking coffee in Italy, it started an obsession for me, I ended up with a Profitec dual boiler and a Ceado Grinder, it's a never ending learning experience. 

Edited by airflite1

9 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

They should advertise that better!  They just call it "fresh".  

I've been buying from them for a few years and haven't kept up with their website. I just order when I'm close to out and it's always dated, I change it up between them and Folly, and when I go to the cities my son will treat me to different roasters, up here I'm limited to who will ship. 

Ryan and Jeff raced together in District 23, I bought my first order from him more for the novelty when the boys were here for one Christmas, I was shocked how good the beans were, visiting with Ryan he's deep into the coffee world now.

Edited by airflite1

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Awesome.  I will order up some to try.  What sort of roast level is your favorite from there?  Curious what you grind and brew with as well.

with espresso drinks I usually avoid the really dark roasts. I have a Profitec Pro 700 and a Ceado E37 grinder.

From RD coffee the always 5 is my favorite, but I change it up occasionally, he started out only having a blog and it was fun reading about his trips to coffee countries in search of beans.

IMG_3275.jpg

Edited by airflite1
  • Like 1

Great setup!  I have been going lighter and lighter.  Have a Quickmill Vetrano and as of last week a Decent DE1 Pro.  Modified Super Jolly (amusingly from Starbucks when they offloaded their real equipment) for single dosing.  Have a DF83 grinder on order though as I want to taste this clarity that bigger burrs supposedly bring.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Probably the most forgiving technique to an inconsistent grinder.  That being said there are some simpletons on this site who will call you gay for anything.

I call you gay cause you’re a flaming fucking faggot , not because you and your boyfriend engage in a casual French press 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Probably the most forgiving technique to an inconsistent grinder.  That being said there are some simpletons on this site who will call you gay for anything.

You’re not gay. You’re a fag. It’s worse being a fag.